Where to buy replacement screws?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChrisinHove

Where to buy replacement screws?

Post by ChrisinHove »

I use a Chicago as a household tool, at which it excels, being sharp, unthreatening and always to hand.

However, over time the blade has become badly misaligned, rubbing on the liner, and one of the screw heads stripped in trying to loosen the scales off to remedy this.

Does anyone know where replacement screws can be sourced?

Spyderco customer services can't help, other than suggesting it be sent in for a warranty assessment, but it's clearly not a warranty issue.
SpyderNut

Re: Where to buy replacement screws?

Post by SpyderNut »

Hmm. I would call Charlynn in W&R and discuss the issue. She'll no doubt work her magic and get it resolved.
Buzzard

Post by Buzzard »

This thread is relevant to my concerns.

Two screws on my Sage 1 are stripped and require replacement, but I can't find anything. I'll take a look at W&R.
Sage 1, Paramilitary 2 DLC/digicam.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

It's going to be a trial and error process, but you might try a brick & mortar hobby shop that caters to radio control modelers and/or railroad modelers as both hobbies use a variety of small hardware.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Hailibu

Post by Hailibu »

I'm in the same boat. I need to buy replacement screws for my Sage 1. I stripped one tightening it. I believe it's a T8 size button head. Will anyone from Spyderco help? Anyone know where to buy these?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Hailibu wrote:I'm in the same boat. I need to buy replacement screws for my Sage 1. I stripped one tightening it. I believe it's a T8 size button head. Will anyone from Spyderco help? Anyone know where to buy these?
Have you called Spyderco Warranty & Repair? If not, they'd be your best bet.
Paul
xinam

Post by xinam »

http://usaknifemaker.com/folding-knife- ... crews.html

Personally I'd suggest to the OP to buy another Chicago for a back up then send the old one back for repairs. However I was able to find the link above, appears to be sold in bulk but reasonable prices. Good luck!
Holland

Post by Holland »

I would try again with spyderco w&r... I've had success getting new screws from them in the past
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

This is an area I personally need to give more attention to>> because to tell you all the truth I don't even know if the pocketclip screws that Spyderco uses are either metric or standard :confused: It would be interesting to know where Spyderco gets their hardware. My guess is that the Golden CO USA Earth screws are probably standard and the Japan and other imported Spyders are undoubtedly metric I'm sure. Maybe even the Golden screws are too because I'm just guessing.

Not at all trying to circumvent business away from the Great Spyder Factory but it wouldn't be a bad thing to know if for some reason you had an old model and Spyderco didn't stock that particular screw or any other needed repair item for that matter.

I myself have never had any trouble in the past getting exactly what I need from Spyderco themselves. There probably are not very many companies that sell hardware that small because I just doubt if there is very much demand for them in the entire market overall.

As far as stripped out screws go you would just have to get a tap & die set or go to a local machinist.
Hailibu

Post by Hailibu »

I have an update and some additional information for those still trying to identify replacement screws for the Spyderco Sage 1.

I contacted Spyderco support, and they said they would look for some possible replacement screws and mail me out some if they found any. Well, they found some and mailed them out to me. Perfect replacements. I put my knife back together. Problem solved. Thank you Spyderco!

(However, I really wish they would sell replacement screws online, just in case they can't "find" any lying around - or at least publish the specs of the screws. I directly asked them the size of the screws, and they couldn't (wouldn't?) tell me that information.)

Although my problem has been solved, I still want to know what the exact specs of the screws are, if anyone can ever figure it out. I'll share what I have learned in case it helps others.

Before I learned Spyderco would mail me out some replacement screws, I impatiently and desperately bought some screws onlineTitanium Screw 4-40 Button Head 1/8" Thread Length - 10pack, taking a gamble (and losing) that they would be good replacements. (To be clear, those screws were NOT suitable replacements)

Here's what I learned in my quest for finding the right screws:

Spyderco calls them scale screws. (I guess because they are used on the sides of the knife, vs clip screws, etc.)
They are definitely T8 torx screws.
I believe they are button head screws (as pan head seemed too flat). Diagram of screw head types
I'm thinking they are made out of stainless steel, as the titanium screws I bought had a different color.
There are 6 total screws, and the screw for the wire clip is slightly longer than the other 5 scale screws.
I originally estimated/imprecisely measured that the scale screws were 1/8" and the longer wire clip one was 3/16"; however, I was mistaken as those titanium 1/8" ones that I bought were actually a little too long compared with the 5 scale screws, but were shorter than the clip screw.
Additionally, the titanium screws I bought were skinnier than the original screws, so size 4 is too small.
Given that size 4 was too small, and just wobbled around in the screw hole,I wasn't able to test whether 40 is the right threads per inch.
Other possible screw size candidates out there:
4-40 (size 4 (2.845mm *this was too skinny of a screw) (40 threads per inch)
M3 (3 mm - almost the metric equivalent of 4-40)
5-40 (3.175mm, 40 threads per inch)
6-32 (3.505mm, 32 threads per inch)

I forgot to take a picture before returning the titanium screws, but since 4-40 was clearly too skinny,if I were to guess/try again I would probably try 5-40, skipping m3, . However, I don't even know if they would fit.

Lastly,I want to first reiterate TAKING APART YOUR KNIFE WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY, which I did. In originally trying to put my knife back together, I stripped a screw, because I had not put the knife back together properly, and I was trying to overtighten a screw to make it go farther in to lie flush with the outside. After having receiving the proper replacement screws from Spyderco, I finally was able to put my knife back together again, this time perfectly, with the blade centered and all screws flush. From all of this experience, I have learned that if you put the knife together carefully and correctly, it goes together smoothly without having to force anything. I know this should be common sense.

In case you find yourself in a situation where all the parts of your knife are in a sad pile in a ziploc bag...
Here are a couple of PROTIPS to putting your knife back together to avoid stripping any screws etc.

1. The knife has two metal sides, with lots of holes drilled into each side. Each side has holes for the screw spacer things, connecting both sides of the knife. Notice that on one side the screw spacer things have a "D" shaped hole. The other half just has perfect "O" holes.
-Stick those spacer parts into the "D" holes first, to avoid having to try to line up later. Note, the pivot going through the blade also has a "D" shape to it on the end.

2. When screwing in the screws where the knife pivots, you have to make sure the pivot thing is centered between both halves of the knife. Otherwise, the screw on one side will poke out too far and not be flush with the outside. To do this, first just partially screw in the screw from each side of the pivot. Everything will still be loose enough for you to push the screws, which in turn push the pivot thing between them back and forth to center it. Once centered, screw the screws in all the way. When done properly, you will not have to force the screws to go in deep to be flush. They will just be flush with normal, comfortably tightening, and the blade will be perfectly centered due to the even tightening of both screws. Also, if you over-tighten, the blade will be hard to open.

3. Remember, the longer screw is for the wire clip

Hope this helps.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Does pay to remember that Spyderco builds knives in the USA and is presently having knives built for them in four other countries. While all will use Torx heads, mostly between T-6 and T-10, It would not be unreasonable to assume that US made knives use US (SAE) sized and threaded screws and those built overseas use metric sized and threaded ones. It's also possible that different makers will use screws of different diameters, so body size and threading may not be correct for a model made by another maker, even if driver size is.
Paul
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

That's been my experience Paul with some of my mods. There's definitely metric and Imperial versions of screws used depending on factory location. I've had good luck with USAKnifeMaker and KnifeKits for various items, and have been lucky enough to find ones I need from the small (but growing) set of stock Spyderco screws I seem to have lying about.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
EC_Snooker

Post by EC_Snooker »

I recently had a need for a screw for my Spyderco Sage 1. I went to the Spyderco website and under "Contact Us" found a link to Warranty & Repair - Customer Service. I filled out the form (email type) and within 24 hours received a response from Charlynn who absolutely went above and beyond the call of duty to fix my issue. That was the first time I've ever had to contact Spyderco and to say my experience was anything less than stellar would be a huge understatement. First class customer service from my perspective.
dewildeman

Post by dewildeman »

EC_Snooker, thanks. I bought a Tenacious when they first came out. I switched it to tip up carry after cutting a slot in one of the screws just to be able to get it out. At the time a lot of other people posted that they had problems stripping screws. I decided to to a little modding on the knife last week and ended up stripping ALL the scale screws. I don't know if it will be worth of trouble of drilling the screws out or if I should just use it as a beater and replace it with a new one.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I called W&R on Monday the 12th and left a message. I left another message Friday the 16th, but still haven't heard from them. Does it usually take W&R 2 weeks to return a phone call? If so, then that's cool. Just feel like I've been blown off.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

MacLaren wrote:I called W&R on Monday the 12th and left a message. I left another message Friday the 16th, but still haven't heard from them. Does it usually take W&R 2 weeks to return a phone call? If so, then that's cool. Just feel like I've been blown off.
In real life, I think you need to be the squeaky wheel. Voicemail and email really don't seem to work well with 98% of companies - call till you get a human on the line. :spyder:
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JNewell wrote:
MacLaren wrote:I called W&R on Monday the 12th and left a message. I left another message Friday the 16th, but still haven't heard from them. Does it usually take W&R 2 weeks to return a phone call? If so, then that's cool. Just feel like I've been blown off.
In real life, I think you need to be the squeaky wheel. Voicemail and email really don't seem to work well with 98% of companies - call till you get a human on the line. :spyder:
....sounds like a plan. Thanx man.
remnar

Post by remnar »

I've had better luck with email than with the phone. Good Luck!
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Use.
The.
Phone.
Call.
Until.
You.
Get.
A.
Human.
:D :D :D :D :D ;)
mammuthus

Post by mammuthus »

Hello guys and sorry for my engrish, hope you understand me :D

I have some problems with my spyderco resilience screws, so I need new set of srews.
But can't find any suitable - can you help me?
Try to search here: usaknifemaker.com but I don't really know parametres of original screws.

I need a central axis screw (without sleeve), handle screws (6pcs) and 3 clip screws.
I will be very grateful if you give me a ling for i from usaknifemaker :rolleyes: