New Guy

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GoldenSpydie

Re: New Guy

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Welcome to the Forum, Sherman!
SpeedHoles wrote:Very nice photos and collection!
I too am a big Hitachi Super Blue fan!
I just picked up this same Caly as in your photo, but was a little disappointed to see an imperfection on my spine jimping.
Do you have any closer photos of the jimping on yours by chance?
It doesn't bother me a whole lot since it will be an EDC user blade, but still was surprised to see the last jimp on mine was not cut to the same depth all the way across and made me wonder if other Caly's had this similar issue?
It sounds like you got a factory second. If the last notch is just ahead of the jimping, not ground all of the way through, and cut on the right side of the blade ("Japan" side), then that is a notch that Spyderco made to designate the knife a "factory second." This means that the knife has some other imperfection and that it does not have a warranty. Factory seconds are sold at highly reduced prices in person only in Golden, CO.

I got a Super Blue Caly 3 from the seconds sale this last November for $50, which is about the typical one quarter of MSRP that seconds are sold at. Many factory seconds pop up on Ebay and many people are tricked into thinking they are first quality pieces.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Welcome to the Forum, Sherman!
SpeedHoles wrote:Very nice photos and collection!
I just picked up this same Caly as in your photo, but was a little disappointed to see an imperfection on my spine jimping.
It doesn't bother me a whole lot since it will be an EDC user blade, but still was surprised to see the last jimp on mine was not cut to the same depth all the way across and made me wonder if other Caly's had this similar issue?
It sounds like you got a factory second. If the last notch is just ahead of the jimping, not ground all of the way through, and cut on the right side of the blade ("Japan" side), then that is a notch that Spyderco made to designate the knife a "factory second." This means that the knife has some other imperfection and that it does not have a warranty. Factory seconds are sold at highly reduced prices in person only in Golden, CO.

I got a Super Blue Caly 3 from the seconds sale this last November for $50, which is about the typical one quarter of MSRP that seconds are sold at. Many factory seconds pop up on Ebay and many people are tricked into thinking they are first quality pieces.
Thanks for the input.

So are factory seconds marked differently according to country of origin?
Well I guess that wouldn't even make sense...
I have another factory second Kahr Delica and it is notched on top of spydie hole on spine, and in Japan side of blade like you say.

My Caly imperfection is at the bottom of jimping closest to backlock and deeper on Spyderco/SuperBlue side of blade. No other marks on blade.
I will take a photo of it. Then probably touch it with a dremel blade to even depth of jimp across spine.

edit: I just started my own thread here regarding the small issue so I don't hijack here any further...
Last edited by SpeedHoles on Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Going back to Caly.
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

Welcome, Sherman!

Very nice collection.

~ edge
Sherman

Post by Sherman »

Tanks a lot everyone ;)
apollo wrote: Hi Sherman. Welcome to the forums fellow countryman. ;)
Great! :D
SpeedHoles wrote: Very nice photos and collection!
No problem, please, some phone-pics:

Bladewacked

Post by Bladewacked »

Welcome Sherman come and gain, and share some knowledge!
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Welcome! Love the Caly 3, a great choice as are the rest. What's next for your collection?
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Welcome, and you take some nice pics. I hope to see more in the future. :cool:
- best wishes, Jazz.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Hi Sherman, welcome to the forum, there's a great group of folks here who are very generous with their Spyderco knowledge base, plus the man himself (where else does one get that?) :D. In regard to your notch, I'm not seeing anything other than a minor blemish on a very beautiful knife, it does not appear to be a factory second mark to me. Others may chime in differently... Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Sherman wrote:Tanks a lot everyone ;)
apollo wrote: Hi Sherman. Welcome to the forums fellow countryman. ;)
Great! :D
SpeedHoles wrote: Very nice photos and collection!
No problem, please, some phone-pics:

Thanks for the photos, much appreciated.
Your jimping is much more even than that on my Caly 3 SuperBlue. Looks good. I may try to touch mine up today.
Going back to Caly.
Sherman

Post by Sherman »

Nice ;)
& thank you all...
PayneTrain wrote:Welcome! Love the Caly 3, a great choice as are the rest. What's next for your collection?
well, just got a Dragonfly G10 in, perfect little solid knife down in the pocket and now just waiting on some nice Super Blue sprint Runs for 2015 :D
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Sherman wrote:Nice ;)
& thank you all...
PayneTrain wrote:Welcome! Love the Caly 3, a great choice as are the rest. What's next for your collection?
well, just got a Dragonfly G10 in, perfect little solid knife down in the pocket and now just waiting on some nice Super Blue sprint Runs for 2015 :D

Nice! Yeah I have a SB Dragonfly as well and considered doing a foliage g10 handle swap, but those g10 dragonfly's are pricey just for the handle.

Have you noticed your grey g10 scales on the Caly turning blue from denim jeans? I've been having this issue, and not with new jeans either. I keep having to regularly clean my handle with alcohol to get the blue off...
Going back to Caly.
Sherman

Post by Sherman »

exactly, imo the G10 is a bit like sand paper, I usually clean it with a toothbrush cause dirt and other things easily stick to it...
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Welcome to the forums, nice collection of Super Blue you have there!

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe