2015 Delica Sprint Run

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
adancingmonkey

Re: 2015 Delica Sprint Run

Post by adancingmonkey »

There is currently a guy selling on on the Canadian gun nutz forum but he is asking 250$
SpeedHoles wrote:
Holland wrote:
SpeedHoles wrote:Excited for this.
Think any of these will ever see full line of g10 handles, or remain FRN?
There was a run of g10 delica, Endura, and dragonflys in foliage green a while ago. The dragonfly stuck around though

Oh OK I've seen the dragonfly (apparently because you say it stuck around).
Was not aware of the G10 Delica!?? Wow I want one badly now, love foliage green. Any idea where to source one?
Also one on blade forums right now.
Current favorite: Manix 2 with carbon fiber scales and cru-ware.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

adancingmonkey wrote:There is currently a guy selling on on the Canadian gun nutz forum but he is asking 250$
SpeedHoles wrote:
Holland wrote:
SpeedHoles wrote:Excited for this.
Think any of these will ever see full line of g10 handles, or remain FRN?
There was a run of g10 delica, Endura, and dragonflys in foliage green a while ago. The dragonfly stuck around though

Oh OK I've seen the dragonfly (apparently because you say it stuck around).
Was not aware of the G10 Delica!?? Wow I want one badly now, love foliage green. Any idea where to source one?
Also one on blade forums right now.

I'm not a member on any other knife forums...
Going back to Caly.
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

Well the good news is both are free to join.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

adancingmonkey wrote:Well the good news is both are free to join.
lol do I sense some sarcasm there?
I just joined this as my first and only blade forum just a few days ago... didn't really want to join multiple.
Don't you have to be a member on a forum for a certain length of time before you're allowed to use the classifieds?
Going back to Caly.
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

Nope. I was on the hunt one time for an orange manix 2 saw it on blade forums signed up, made an offer and it was mine. You just have to exercise the same vigilance as you would on in any internet transaction. If you're into knives blade forums is a good forum to be a part of. Spyderco even has its own board there moderated by sal and the gang.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

adancingmonkey wrote:Nope. I was on the hunt one time for an orange manix 2 saw it on blade forums signed up, made an offer and it was mine. You just have to exercise the same vigilance as you would on in any internet transaction. If you're into knives blade forums is a good forum to be a part of. Spyderco even has its own board there moderated by sal and the gang.

I was a day too late. Registered there, searched it out, and green g10 Delica sold yesterday haha. Oh well.
Going back to Caly.
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

Yeah if some thing is priced right on bf they tend to go fast. I've bought two knives on their buy and sell. It is the easiest place to find discontinued models I find.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Holland wrote:
babtron wrote:I did not want to create another thread, so sorry if I hijacked your thread a little bit...but if there is a Sprint for the Delica, will there be a Dragonfly to follow as well, historically?
I think I remember reading that the run would be for the whole line like the superblue runs. I may be wrong though
If this happens by the time I'm ready to replace my Stretch/Dragonfly combo I'll be really stoked.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

registered ( non paying) users can buy there but be aware only paying gold and above memberships can list stuff for sale. In fact a non paying member can't even ask for a price on knives, aka "what is my XYZ knife worth?"

The rules are there when you register as well as the top of most pages.

joe
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

For me the big question is, if such an FRN sprint run happens, will it include the FRN version of the new Stretch2? (calling it Stretch2 because that's the way it's identified in the spydiewiki). From what Sal said, I think for that to happen, the FRN Stretch sprint would have to be delayed long enough to find out if the upcoming G-10 ZDP-189 Stretch is well received. I suppose it's possible they may already have enough feedback from the prototype to know that.

If the sprint run has the current Stretch design, I'll probably pass on it, but if I like the new one as well as I think I might, I may wind up owning Strech2's in two super steels!! :spyder: (I suspect certain people, such as the Deacon :D may be hoping the sprint has the current design. To paraphrase, Spyderco can please some people all the time and everybody most of the time :D
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

I missed the news that there was going to be another run of g10 delicas. Smurf blue you say? Sounds interesting. Would love to known more about this and the possible run in HAP40.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Yeah, how does one go about finding dates on sprint run releases and new model debuts? Seems there is a lot that I'm interested in this year.
Is it just luck of the draw keeping your eyes open, or can they be ordered direct or something?
Do forum members get a heads up early?
Going back to Caly.
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

I see you've been busy. You've beaten me to an s30v chaparral on blade forums.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

SpeedHoles wrote:Yeah, how does one go about finding dates on sprint run releases and new model debuts? Seems there is a lot that I'm interested in this year.
Is it just luck of the draw keeping your eyes open, or can they be ordered direct or something?
If you watch the forum I don't think you'll miss a sprint or exclusive. Release dates aren't known a long time in advance, but there's always at least one thread discussing when they show up at different dealers. Here's some background info: http://www.spyderco.com" target="_blank

With new models, sometimes dealers announce that they are expecting them, but, again, it's very hard to predict when they will ship, and there are generally threads discussing when they arrive at different dealers. I've never yet missed out on one I wanted, but extremely popular, long anticipated models occasionally sell out very fast. If you miss one in the first shipments, you can almost always get one in a later shipment if you are fairly vigilant about it.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

DougC-3 wrote:For me the big question is, if such an FRN sprint run happens, will it include the FRN version of the new Stretch2? (calling it Stretch2 because that's the way it's identified in the spydiewiki). From what Sal said, I think for that to happen, the FRN Stretch sprint would have to be delayed long enough to find out if the upcoming G-10 ZDP-189 Stretch is well received. I suppose it's possible they may already have enough feedback from the prototype to know that.

If the sprint run has the current Stretch design, I'll probably pass on it, but if I like the new one as well as I think I might, I may wind up owning Strech2's in two super steels!! :spyder: (I suspect certain people, such as the Deacon :D may be hoping the sprint has the current design. To paraphrase, Spyderco can please some people all the time and everybody most of the time :D
I believe that previous talk on the forums has indicated there could be another "full run" of the Japanese FRN line in HAP40, similar to how there was a "full run" in Super Blue. It's pretty expensive for Spyderco to develop a new FRN model, the initial investment is very high for the FRN molds alone. For this reason, I would bet that if HAP40 happens this year, and it's a "full run" sprint, it will include the current Stretch 2 model, rather than a new version.

I love the current Stretch, but I'll be excited to see what the new G-10 Stretch feels like.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

kennethsime wrote: I believe that previous talk on the forums has indicated there could be another "full run" of the Japanese FRN line in HAP40, similar to how there was a "full run" in Super Blue. It's pretty expensive for Spyderco to develop a new FRN model, the initial investment is very high for the FRN molds alone. For this reason, I would bet that if HAP40 happens this year, and it's a "full run" sprint, it will include the current Stretch 2 model, rather than a new version.

I love the current Stretch, but I'll be excited to see what the new G-10 Stretch feels like.
I tend to agree. If the sprint run comes out as early as, say, a year from now, assuming that the new Stretch2 comes out before that, I don't see how they could have enough time to both get adequate feedback about the new Stretch plus make FRN molds for it. I hope I'm proven wrong ;) Of course, some models on a full series sprint run come out much later than others. If the Stretch sprint comes turns out to be the current type, I may get it anyway. I still regret not getting the Super Blue model and may get it yet.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

adancingmonkey wrote:I see you've been busy. You've beaten me to an s30v chaparral on blade forums.
Ah yes indeed, was happy to find it!
Thanks for the BF forum recommendation.
Going back to Caly.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

DougC-3 wrote:
SpeedHoles wrote:Yeah, how does one go about finding dates on sprint run releases and new model debuts? Seems there is a lot that I'm interested in this year.
If you watch the forum I don't think you'll miss a sprint or exclusive. Release dates aren't known a long time in advance, but there's always at least one thread discussing when they show up at different dealers. Here's some background info: http://www.spyderco.com" target="_blank

With new models, sometimes dealers announce that they are expecting them, but, again, it's very hard to predict when they will ship, and there are generally threads discussing when they arrive at different dealers. I've never yet missed out on one I wanted, but extremely popular, long anticipated models occasionally sell out very fast. If you miss one in the first shipments, you can almost always get one in a later shipment if you are fairly vigilant about it.

OK, thanks for the info. I'll keep my eyes out for fresh info.
Going back to Caly.
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

SpeedHoles wrote:
adancingmonkey wrote:I see you've been busy. You've beaten me to an s30v chaparral on blade forums.
Ah yes indeed, was happy to find it!
Thanks for the BF forum recommendation.
I've created a monster. I really wanted that Michael Walker. But we both missed out.