Am I the only one who always goes back to the Delica?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
AlanC101

Re: Am I the only one who always goes back to the Delica?

Post by AlanC101 »

I love the Delica. I own 4 different versions including the SB. I have 6 other Spyderco knives, and I do find myself going back to the delica.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

You are definitely not the only one! The Delica is like the bowl of porridge that Goldilocks settled upon, "just right." Bigger, smaller, fancier, cheaper, it doesn't matter, nothing keeps the Delica away from my pocket for long. It is the "can't go wrong" Spyderco I gift to friends.
timlara

Post by timlara »

I, too, love the Delica, although I have to say I still think the Delica 3 was the best version due to the pointier tip. However, I have yet to pick up a flat ground version, so that might possibly be enough of an improvement in use to make it a draw between the two. I'm trying to hold out for the next sprint, but might not be able to. :)
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

kennethsime wrote:I just wish they'd add a choil to the Delica & Endura (like the Byrd Meadowlark 2 & Cara Cara 2).
I could see that being a good thing. With the choil it would be like a mini Stretch. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Haven't tried one with a Wave yet. I always have images of a close friend years ago with an Emerson, ripping his pants as he pulled it out lol.

I do have a Kahr Arms Delica that I do like also...
Going back to Caly.
762cal

Post by 762cal »

me too like the Delica4.
babtron

Post by babtron »

Good to know a lot of you guys still love this classic. I'm waiting for my ZDP-189 (possibly my favorite steel) version so I can carry that. I admit, I was a little tipsy upon writing this, so I went ahead and ordered 2 SB Sprints (worth the money imho) :p. I'm going to keep one NIB as a safe queen and one as a user. I'm going to gift the one I have now to a friend. I love this knife and want to share it with all :D

Only knife that might keep me away from it is the Squeak. Another classic design from Sal.
Skywarp

Post by Skywarp »

The Super Blue Delica has been my main EDC since it was released.
Before that, my main go to was the leaf Urban but the blade on that has seen better days. (It's what I learned to sharpen on)
Now that there's a new Urban coming out, I may get one and swap the new blade over to G10 scales.
This would then pose a quandry as to which I would carry. The Urban may have the edge bacuase it's UK legal.
Nothing against FRN but I like liners with it.
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

I don't carry the Delica as much as I probably should. But I do find myself going back to the Delica if I need a nice sharp knife, or a knife I can abuse without worrying about detroying it. It always holds up, and is easily replaceable. I recently bought a gen 1 Delica, and I actually prefer the pointy tip on the gen 1! If I could have a D4 with the pointy tip it would be an almost perfect knife to me! :)
street soldier

Post by street soldier »

I've recently returned to the delica. I've always admired this knife, but for some reason never really carried it for long periods of time. I recently decided to add it back to my EDC to compliment my Dragonfly H1 PE and Ladybug Hawkbill H1 SE. I'm carrying the PE gray FRN Delica 4, and have the stainless steel handled PE on the way.
I've recently been reading my copy of The Spyderco Story (great book, by the way), and I'm becoming intrigued by the SE patterns. I may have to add a full SE Delica to my collection.
So many patterns, so little money...

John
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

babtron wrote:Good to know a lot of you guys still love this classic. I'm waiting for my ZDP-189 (possibly my favorite steel) version so I can carry that. I admit, I was a little tipsy upon writing this, so I went ahead and ordered 2 SB Sprints (worth the money imho) :p. I'm going to keep one NIB as a safe queen and one as a user. I'm going to gift the one I have now to a friend. I love this knife and want to share it with all :D

Only knife that might keep me away from it is the Squeak. Another classic design from Sal.

Where did you find more SB Delicas to be ordered?
Going back to Caly.
babtron

Post by babtron »

BBS. They're priced much higher than when they first came out obviously, but it's worth it to me.
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

Yes I also can relate to the "it factor" I like the Delica but for me its the Endura also. Its my knife the knife. I probably got enough spyderco knives to carry a different one every week of the year. Some great models like the Para2, native5, mili, dgf, manix2, etc. But the Endura4 is my baby in any variation. It has the size,the weight and the blade I like the most., call me old fashioned.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
camvdcs

Post by camvdcs »

Been carrying a Delica gen 1 AUS 8 since early 90s. I like the molded clip because of less wear/tear on the pants pocket. I gave away 2 Delica gen 1 combos to my son & daughter. Still have a Delica gen 1 serrated & Delica gen 2 or 3 the one with a somewhat more squared off handle in plain. I felt like my Delica gen 1 might get lost or the blade might get worn out from too many sharpenings so I ended up getting a Delica 4 gray plain for backup. Mine you I have many other :spyder: but I still carry the Delica. Another factor is if it gets confiscated by TSA or whoever, it's not a big lost.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Delica is such an iconic Spyderco model that I'm kind of baffled as to why they don't use it to introduce new handles and new blade steels like they do with the Military and PM2 models.

They did give us a Delica with ZDP-189 which I was grateful for>> albeit I still love my original Burgundy ZDP-189 Caly jr. better.

But I'm kind of surprised that they don't do more marketing promotions with the Delica as they have done with the Endura with G-10 handles and so forth.

But on the other hand I guess the Delica is probably designated as being one of their economy models as well as the Endura in some respects. I guess it's fair to say that it's Spyderco's "Volkswagon" models i.e. economy, simplicity and ease of maintenance.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

JD Spydo wrote:But I'm kind of surprised that they don't do more marketing promotions with the Delica as they have done with the Endura with G-10 handles and so forth.

It seems like everything the Endura gets, the Delica also gets, or maybe I missed something...?

Have to remember the Military and PM2 are made in Golden, and Delicas in Japan, so production steels will differ.
Going back to Caly.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

SpeedHoles wrote:It seems like everything the Endura gets, the Delica also gets, or maybe I missed something...?

Have to remember the Military and PM2 are made in Golden, and Delicas in Japan, so production steels will differ.
Also, production schedules will likely be the most flexible at Golden, which is important when exploring new steel options.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

JD, they just had a SB sprint last year and a HAP40 release coming sometime in the future. It seems that whatever Japanese steel Spyderco gets to work with, the Delica is one of the models that is sure to get it.

As far as handles, a Titanium model just came out. Sal also said that a G10 model will eventually make it back into production. SS version is still in production. I guess all we are missing is natural materials like micarta and bone and also a CF but custom makers have those available.

Of course as far as users go, Im very very happy with FRN and VG10. :)
Pyrite

Post by Pyrite »

The only bad things about carrying a Delica or Endura is that it brands you as a .... COMMONER! :eek:

The very thought of people trusting anything less than a titanium framelock to keep their fingers from being cut off accidentally drives some to apoplexy.

;)
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Pyrite wrote:The only bad things about carrying a Delica or Endura is that it brands you as a .... COMMONER! :eek:

The very thought of people trusting anything less than a titanium framelock to keep their fingers from being cut off accidentally drives some to apoplexy.

;)

You can label them too you know!

That's OP's point though. Same with me, Ive gone full circle... Customs, midtechs, all price ranges, and I still own, collect and enjoy such knives but Spyderco's FRN folders like the Delica remain in my rotation because it works as well if not better for my uses.
BTG

Post by BTG »

image.jpg
Kahr Arms khaki & black both added today, still want to get black blade, stainless, and some more serrated versions.