Am I the only one who always goes back to the Delica?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
babtron

Am I the only one who always goes back to the Delica?

Post by babtron »

The Delica is what started it all for me. I've owned other great EDCs after buying my first Delica 4. The Dragonfly 2, Techno, Sage 2, Caly 3 and the Dice. I've always been fond on the great slip-its as well--Pingo and the Squeak. All are great EDCs. Some have better ergos than the Delica. Truth is, ergos aren't everything. It takes a certain something as well. One of those, "I can't explain it" or that certain "it factor". I cannot explain specifically why I always go back to the Delica. It doesn't have the best ergos, nor a cool or spectacular blade shape. What it does have is that "it factor".

I recently revisited my Super Blue version, a knife I truly, truly loved. It was my most carried Delica. It was the first Delica/knife I actually took apart. It started my "obsession" with Japanese steel. It was a perfect EDC. For some reason, I stopped carrying it. Maybe I was looking for that latest and greatest. Maybe I felt dirty for voiding the warranty by taking it apart. Maybe putting it back together and dealing with the struggle, or pain putting the backlock back in and scratching the spring section put a certain stigma with the knife. I don't know.

Well...I'm back. The Delica is here to stay. Before writing this I ordered the ZDP-189 version as well as a backup to the Super Blue Sprint, just in case.

If I were to recommend a Spyderco to a friend who isn't familiar with Spyderco, I'd recommend the Delica. In my opinion, it is the quintessential Spyderco. It is everything Spyderco embodies. It's a classic. It's the 85' Bears. It's the Michael Jordan of knives. It's The Beatles and Led Zeppelin. It is like a fine wine or the best IPA.

I always go back to the Delica.

The Mastiff

Re: Am I the only one who always goes back to the Delica?

Post by The Mastiff »

I can carry others as a second knife but I always have my Endura with me so I can relate. Endura since 92. The current version is the Super Blue thanks to my Xceptional friend Landon. I could be happy carrying it for the rest of my life. I was sharpening a 440C Boker and went back to the Super Blue for a touch up last night and it reminded me, as it always does why I like it so much. A wonderful steel!

joe
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I also often find myself happily carrying a Delica, even with several dozen other options. To me, it's the perfect size, weight, and blade shape for general use. And I can use most of my Delicas without worrying about losing or damaging a rare sprint or expensive discontinued model. My rotation is pretty big, and varied, but the Delica will always have a substantial place in it.
:bug-red-white
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

It is a perfect utility folder. You are not the only one :)

I like em with a very pointy tip like the older versions so I grind a bit of the spine on my users.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I gravitate to the Endura.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Carrying my Delica today with my GB Folder. Dependable knife and I still really like vg-10. Still annoyed with myself for not getting the SB version but as always in life you win some and lose some :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I love my delica and carry it often. So no, you are not the only one.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Love the Delica. Well written post. It's like an old friend.
Wish I could find a back up Super Blue as well.
Going back to Caly.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I'm with you on this one 99% (I don't like IPA). The Delica also started my Spydie obsession, and I find it ironic that although it's all the knife I ever need, it still caused me to collect a bevy of users. I currently have 4 of them: The original grey D4, a safety orange D4 that lives in my shooting bag, a Foliage Green sprint run, and a SB sprint run. I'll buy any future steel sprints in frn, and I'll probably pick up any with G10 handles, although I actually prefer my FRN D4s to the G10 one I currently have. I would actually LOVE to see a D4 in smooth but contoured CF.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I want to like the Delica, and there was a time when I first got here that I sang it's praises and swore that everyone should own at least one. I sold my last Delica a couple years ago and don't miss it. The handle just doesn't fit my hand. Now, if they'd put a Harpy shaped handle on it, I would own several. I particularly like the blade shape...not quite a wharnie, with just enough curve to be versatile.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I do like my Delica also.. Started out with a SS Aus-8 (??) back in the early 90s!! Gifted that away to a LEO.. Fast forward to now.. Picked up a sabre ground and gifted that away to another LEO (my daughter).. Then snagged an orange ffg and it sees rotation in the edc pile!! I would to see the handle shaped more like the Stretchs.. JMO!! Its a keeper as is but we can dream!! John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

tvenuto wrote:I'm with you on this one 99% (I don't like IPA). The Delica also started my Spydie obsession, and I find it ironic that although it's all the knife I ever need, it still caused me to collect a bevy of users. I currently have 4 of them: The original grey D4, a safety orange D4 that lives in my shooting bag, a Foliage Green sprint run, and a SB sprint run. I'll buy any future steel sprints in frn, and I'll probably pick up any with G10 handles, although I actually prefer my FRN D4s to the G10 one I currently have. I would actually LOVE to see a D4 in smooth but contoured CF.

If you're not so preferential to the g10 version, I know of someone who may enjoy it more than you!

For those that didn't like the handle ergonomics I'd highly recommend a wilkinsgrip. I have one on my Super Blue Delica and I like it a lot.
Going back to Caly.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Yes, you are the only one who always goes back to the Delica. :) Joking of course. I can't think of a knife model that that statement has been made about more often than a Delica. Personally, I think the Delica is the knife for everyone to start with. It's perfect. Then you can try other models and may like things on other models more than the Delica but that would just be personal preference. The Delica SETS THE STANDARD IMO.

Jack
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Only Delica I have is the SB version but its a safe queen and part of my SB collection. Not sure why I dont have one as a user, maybe someday.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I just wish they'd add a choil to the Delica & Endura (like the Byrd Meadowlark 2 & Cara Cara 2).
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
BTG

Post by BTG »

I also like the Delica/ Endura I have 16 delica/ 13 endura...the only super blue I have is the stretch, so I'm not really to familiar with the steel, since I've never EDC' d the stretch. I do have both the Endura and Delica in zdp-189, and love them both....but as for that love of knife thing, I just fell for the lil lionspy and just can't get anything else into the rotation right now....really like the Ti Damascus Delica...and a couple Santa Fe stoneworks delicas...they'll have their time again.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

The Spyderco Delica 4 Black FRN in PE and SE are my standard EDC along with one of my Golden :spyder:s, and if I need a more discreet public carry, I swap out my Delica 4s and the Golden :spyder: with my Spyderco Caly 3 PE and SE.

The older version Delica with the molded FRN pocket clip in SE was the third :spyder: I ever owned... shame I lost it along the way. I find the Delica to be the go-to knife in the Spyderco lineup... small, practical, and efficient!

So, no. you're not the only one! :)
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Is eveyone sitting down? I'll wait......ok ready I bumped my pm2 for my ol faithful Emeson Delica last week!
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

My go-to beater is a Spyderco fully serrated, ZDP-189 Delica. On those days I don't feel serrated, I have a Brown plain-edge version to carry. I'd loved to have grabbed a Super Blue version, but I missed out & don't feel like paying secondary market prices. I go back & forth on getting a Delica with the Emerson Wave.

But yeah, my go-to Spyderco is the Delica.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

babtron wrote: It is like a fine wine or the best IPA.
I love IPA's, and I love my Delica.

BUT, it is seldom my solo knife. It is a stainless handled serrated D4 (replacing my long lost stainless serrated D2 that started the whole thing), and therefore it serves different purposes. Some days it is my knife of choice, especially when I know cardboard or other difficult material is in my future. Other days it serves as a backup to something plain edged. Still, other days my keychain Ladybug is enough plain edge and the Delica is the one for me. My moods change like the New England weather, and so must my knives.

One day I will get a plain edged Delica, and it will probably be fighting with my Caly 3 for pocket time as this size knife has been just what my life has called for lately.