My ode to the Dice

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
babtron

My ode to the Dice

Post by babtron »

Just kidding about the ode. I'm no poet :p.

But I'd like to say thank you to Eric, Sal and the whole Spyderco crew for producing this knife. As well as the guys at the Taichung factory for making such a flawlessly built knife.
flaw·less
/ˈflôləs/
adjective

without any blemishes or imperfections; perfect.

without any mistakes or shortcomings.
Yup. That pretty much sums up the Dice to me. I love this thing. I could be on soap box and tell you why, or lay out some extensive review that possibly doesn't even conclude it being perfect, but I feel I don't have to. In my eyes, this thing is...perfection. It fits my hand perfectly. Fit and finish is perfect. The action of the flipper is unbelievably smooth and fun.

If I had to complain about one thing, it would have been the pocket clip. Only because that thing is a vault (not a bad thing). I replaced it with a Casey Lynch pocket clip and it only makes a perfect and flawless knife even better.

There's my "ode". Sorry if I wasted space, but in my opinion, this knife does not get enough credit. An amazing design perfectly and flawlessly executed. I couldn't ask for more.

Just...flawless.
Liquid Cobra

Re: My ode to the Dice

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I'm tempted to pick up a second domino with the blue weave CF. I'm not a huge fan of the Cosby sweater CF but I don't mind it. I wonder if they'll ever swap out the CF for something different someday. Thanks for sharing the pics.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
babtron

Post by babtron »

BBS has a blue G-10 Domino with CTS-204P steel, if you're not a fan of the CF.

I actually really like the pattern of the CF, but I am hoping BBS does a run of the Dice with that blue G-10 and CTS-204P :)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Babtron,

Welcome to our forum and thanx much for the kind words.

sal
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

babtron wrote:BBS has a blue G-10 Domino with CTS-204P steel, if you're not a fan of the CF.

I actually really like the pattern of the CF, but I am hoping BBS does a run of the Dice with that blue G-10 and CTS-204P :)
Yeah I have that one. I want an orange G10 one to go with it :)

I mistakenly thought this thread was an ode to the DOMINO, not the Dice. Apologies.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Liquid Cobra wrote:...I'm not a huge fan of the Cosby sweater CF but I don't mind it.
I just spewed my sandwich across the table. :o :D That's the funniest thing I've heard all day! Lol.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

The Dice is an awesome little big knife, a gentleman's folder. I carry mine a lot these days paired with a bigger knife like a Manix. I think the problem for the Dice is that the Techno is hogging the limelight but hopefully given time people will realise how good the Dice can be :)

the Cosby sweater CF
Better not drop that in your morning coffee :P
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
babtron

Post by babtron »

Johnnie1801 wrote:The Dice is an awesome little big knife, a gentleman's folder. I carry mine a lot these days paired with a bigger knife like a Manix. I think the problem for the Dice is that the Techno is hogging the limelight but hopefully given time people will realise how good the Dice can be :)

I am shocked at how much the Dice seems to get overlooked. Maybe it's the blade size? All I know is, I absolutely love mine. I didn't carry it today for the first time since I've had it and I felt dirty :p

I did open up my Sage 1 tonight (I was actually going to return it since I have the Sage 2, but I ended up liking it more...imagine that!) and while the ergos are not as good in my hands as the Dice, it is exceptional and the ergos are "good enough" compared to the Dice. It will probably take over carry time at some point.

In other news, I just took my Dice on its first trip to the water stones and it sharpened nicely. CTS-XHP I find is fairly easy to sharpen and takes a nice edge.

But seriously guys, this little guy is an awesome, awesome knife. I wear medium size gloves and this thing fits absolutely perfectly in my hands. The flipping action is downright amazing.
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

I love my Dice, too. The only negatives I've experienced are: pivot was so tight from the factory that there was no way it could flip. There was also so much thread locker that the pivot screw got mangled trying to loosen it. Spyderco took care of that. Also, it's not an aesthetic, form over function beauty. The Spydie hole isn't centered in the liner lock cutout, for example. While it and its older brother won't win a beauty contest in my eye, it is everything a wonderfully functional, ergonomic folder should be.

The design also allows an incredible array of ways to open the knife. Both hands, both sides of the knife.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

If she's anything like the Domino, then I can imagine just how nice she is.
I have 3 flippers. The Domino, Southard and a ZT 0562 CF Rick Hinderer Slicer model.
The Domino is the best overall imo. I have been wanting the Dice for a while now. But, y'all know how it goes, Spyderco has been coming out with some incredible pieces here lately like the Slysz Bowie and Rubicon. Makes it hard to decide on one.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Here is my ode to the Dice, in a picture...

I absolutely love, love, love this LBK! It flips perfectly, bites hard, and with a scale like this on it, it always turns heads (like a high-end sports car). A true showing of Eric Glesser's :spyder: design genius. Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Here is my ode to the Dice, in a picture...

I absolutely love, love, love this LBK! It flips perfectly, bites hard, and with a scale like this on it, it always turns heads (like a high-end sports car). A true showing of Eric Glesser's :spyder: design genius. Cheers, Radioactive :)
Wow.....just gorgeous!
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

MacLaren wrote: The Domino is the best overall imo. I have been wanting the Dice for a while now. But, y'all know how it goes, Spyderco has been coming out with some incredible pieces here lately like the Slysz Bowie and Rubicon. Makes it hard to decide on one.
Hey Mac, you should definitely consider moving the Dice up your list, it's a great little knife. I tend to carry it in my right front pocket with a larger knife in my left front. It's a good looking knife and quite sheeple friendly, the deployment is very fast due to the flipper but you can also use the hole equally well (just move your index finger out of the way). The CTS XHP steel is pretty easy to sharpen/maintain and you have a lot of steel behind the edge when making cuts. Anyway, you just know you need to complete your set and give that sweet Domino of yours a little pal :p

@ R/S, That custom Dice of yours should come with an "R", rating :D
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Here is my ode to the Dice, in a picture...

WOW!! SWEET!! I do like my DICE also.. But yours is over the top!! John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Johnnie1801 wrote:
MacLaren wrote: The Domino is the best overall imo. I have been wanting the Dice for a while now. But, y'all know how it goes, Spyderco has been coming out with some incredible pieces here lately like the Slysz Bowie and Rubicon. Makes it hard to decide on one.
Hey Mac, you should definitely consider moving the Dice up your list, it's a great little knife. I tend to carry it in my right front pocket with a larger knife in my left front. It's a good looking knife and quite sheeple friendly, the deployment is very fast due to the flipper but you can also use the hole equally well (just move your index finger out of the way). The CTS XHP steel is pretty easy to sharpen/maintain and you have a lot of steel behind the edge when making cuts. Anyway, you just know you need to complete your set and give that sweet Domino of yours a little pal :p

@ R/S, That custom Dice of yours should come with an "R", rating :D
Thanx Johnnie :)
I believe your right. I like the Domino so much...
Kylems11

Post by Kylems11 »

Love the dice. One of my favs. Had to get rid of that car on fiber though for some g10. Love me some black g10.

SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

^ This looks like my kind of ideal! Should bang out a few more of those for resale!
Man, now I've got to add a dice to my list of wants.... it never ends.
Already have a Techno like others have mentioned above, but I Love flippers!

babtron wrote: I am hoping BBS does a run of the Dice with that blue G-10 and CTS-204P :)
YES! Couldn't agree more!
Roll the dice and churn out some g10 sprints, maybe foliage, or better yet maybe bone white like actual Dice and Dominos!
Going back to Caly.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Kylems11 wrote:Love the dice. One of my favs. Had to get rid of that car on fiber though for some g10. Love me some black g10.

That looks awesome!
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

[quote="I actually really like the pattern of the CF, but I am hoping BBS does a run of the Dice with that blue G-10 and CTS-204P :)[/quote]

I asked a few months ago and they said "no plans."
babtron

Post by babtron »

Molle Ninja wrote:[quote="I actually really like the pattern of the CF, but I am hoping BBS does a run of the Dice with that blue G-10 and CTS-204P :)
I asked a few months ago and they said "no plans."[/quote]

Hmm, I asked about a week ago and they told me "sorry, no comments. We do not engage in discussions on future exclusives."

Should we start speculating? :D

In other news, without starting a new thread...I spent a bunch of time today comparing this lovely knife with my new Sage 1 (I carried it today...and yes, I felt dirty). The edge on the Sage 1 I have is a MONSTER. Easily the sharpest knife I've received from the factory. I'm fairly new to sharpening so the edge I put on my Dice wasn't as sharp I suppose, but I'm getting there. It was definitely sharp enough after more refinement today on my Suehiro Rika 5k (sharpened it for the first time last night). I can push cut phonebook paper and shave the hair on my arms. I noticed while the Sage 1 edge shaves and "pops" more hair, it also felt as if it pulls a lot more, whereas my Dice sort of glides while cutting less hair. I'm guessing it could be due to the somewhat polished edge my Suehiro Rika 5k left, opposed to the toothy edge on the S30V?

Anyway, part of my comparisons was the grip, and ease of cutting breaking down a box. With the Sage 1, I could get more leverage, whereas the Dice was a complete lock (definitely not a bad thing). This thing locks into my hands comfortably. The Sage, I have to adjust to get the same comfort level. Overall, it's apples and oranges really.

Cutting wise, both were very comparable. I hardly noticed a difference. The only difference is that the Sage cut more in one motion, obviously due to the bigger size :). Ultimately, both were enjoyable and easy breaking down the box. After breaking down the box, I shaved more hair on my arms and cut some phonebook paper and bith did extremely well, seemingly not losing any edge at all.

Tldr; the Dice is an amazing knife compared to the classic Sage series. It's apples and oranges yes, but it definitely should be just as recognized :p