Military Service?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
GronK

Re: Military Service?

Post by GronK »

USAF 66-71. Shot at and missed, spit at and hit.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

USAF 1962 - 1966
Joined because I didn't want to get drafted(5'-6" 140#). Ran out of funds at school, so there I am in San Antonio, 19 years old and never been away from home. The Air Force was very good to me, I had the privilege of working with some great guys.
It was exciting work, new tech at the time, satellite photography.
NOTE Vietnam was heating up by 1965.
babtron

Post by babtron »

Active Duty Air Force here. I've been in since 2010. I'm a Jet Engine Mechanic. I absolutely love my job. I joined rather late by some standards (I was 22). I did the college thing and quite frankly, messed around and didn't care. It resulted in me joining. I can honestly say, I regret it at times--mainly the not trying in school part. There are times I think it was one of the best decisions I've made. The people you meet and become friends with is second-to-none. It's a microcosm of society. It's crazy to think of the friends I gained from different backgrounds, political views, etc.. The skills you learn will greatly help you in the future. From technical skills to communicating.

With that said, if I were you, I'd stick with school--unless it is something you really want to do. Active Duty is not for everyone. It definitely has its perks. I get paid well, receive great medical care and it helps support my small family (wife and a little doggie). However; I don't want to get political, but in the short amount of time I've been in, it's changed a lot since I arrived at my first duty station. From the kids straight out of high school lacking discipline from Tech School to the changes and direction the Air Force is making as a whole.

Have you looked into the ANG or Reserves? I honestly did not know much about them until I went to Basic Training. I work in a unit that is under the ANG so I work with them on a daily basis. If I could go back, I would have gone that route and stuck with school--instead of just now getting back into classes. I'm seriously considering getting out and joining the ANG myself.
redhawk44357

Post by redhawk44357 »

I lost my student deferment and was fixing to get drafted, so I enlisted in the Navy. It was Oct. 1969. The Navy thought I had potential as an ET (electronics tech) so they sent me to school. I spent most of my time partying and not studying so I was soon let go and assigned to the Coral Sea CVA-43 as an unrated fireman apprentice. I spent the rest of my enlistment on that boat. We did 2 Viet Nam cruises and I got to see many foreign ports. Now as I look back I see that I blew my opportunity for an education and a career. But had I stayed in, I wouldn't have met my wife of 40 years and would have missed having 3 GREAT kids. Life is full of choices and all we can do is decide one course or another . I wish you success in whatever you choose to do.