** 2015 FORUM KNIFE POLL - VOTING HAS ENDED **

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What Spyderco knife model would you like to see as the next Forum knife?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:16 pm

Paramilitary 2
39%
Manix 2
11%
Caly 3.5
26%
Foundry
0%
Domino
5%
Southard
2%
Spyderco R (Solid Non-skeletonized Blade)
3%
SuperHawk
5%
SuperLeaf
3%
Persian
3%

Total votes: 203

ManixFan

Re: 2015 Forum Knife Model Poll

Post by ManixFan »

Surfingringo wrote:I got it now. Glad we got that clarified. And hopefully I added enough confusion and chaos to keep things interesting!! ;). Anyway, I'm not worried about it...my knife is ahead 6-4. It's a landslide! Your goose is cooked Manixfan! COOKED I tell you! :p

Hmmmn, cooked goose sounds VERY tasty......but that is what is so nice about percentages when the voting numbers are still so low. The percentages can change very quickly......right now it takes only 1 PM2 fan to gain hold of their senses and switch to the Caly 3.5 and its tied up again.

Then if Mr. Persian realizes the futility of their vote and switches to the Caly 3.5......... :p

then your "fish is fried" Gringo! :D and you'll be eating "burnt Butterfish" ..... ;)

.....had to google a fish that started with a "B" so I could get some alliteration going :D

I am thinking though that all the PM2 fans must not have a life since it is doing so well on a Friday night ;) :D
and when all the people who have glamorous social lives log on (excepting myself :rolleyes: ) the Caly 3.5 will gain a commanding lead :D
Last edited by ManixFan on Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

farnorthdan wrote:I like it, you did a good job putting this together, thank you for the effort Manixfan, my choice is listed and I am happy, sure hope this comes to fruition.
Thank you very much.....tried to make it both fun and fair.....although it might appear initially confusing until you read through the parameters and "get it" :)

Anyways.......I'm done for the night.......I'm sure that when I log in tomorrow there will be a 2:1 lead with the Caly 3.5 over the PM 2.

But I hope that no one takes it too seriously since Spyderco has never once indicated that ANY of the choices are a possibility. Sal might come in and let us know that nothing in the blade length category with any significant number of votes are even possible. But at least its a start and perhaps the polling itself might give Spyderco a little market research that could correlate well with their sales numbers.

Good night everyone......I'll look away for a bit so please help out anyone with questions that doesn't quite "get it" yet. I'll probably be back tomorrow to keep extolling the virtues of the Caly 3.5 :D
timlara

Post by timlara »

Thanks, ManixFan! Go Dark Blue Diamond-Cut Caly3.5!!!! :D
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

Well I voted for the manix even though it already has a million sprints. Seems like the PM2 is the one to beat. But that was to be expected. This is where the strategic voting will pay off.
Current favorite: Manix 2 with carbon fiber scales and cru-ware.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Ladies and gentlemen, need I remind you all that this is the most important thing you will vote on in your lives...EVER! So please, think carefully and remember, a vote for Superhawk is a vote for humanity! Superhawk's opponents all hate humans and wish to use their expertly sharpened edges to cut things like salaries, gas lines, and arteries, but Superhawk promises life, liberty, and the pursuit of making objects into two pieces instead of one to all! Vote Superhawk!...(in blue weave carbon fiber)...

This message was not paid for at all, and not necessarily approved by Superhawk. I haven't asked it yet, because I can't find one.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I vote for a Pingo. None of this fancy boy stuff with serrations and flippers and liner locks for me, thanks.
- best wishes, Jazz.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Voted for the PM2...but I would be happy with any of them.

Oh...and if it is a PM2, it has to be in M4. ;)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I voted caly 3.5 because even though the para2 is my favorite I have three of them already and I fear the ensuing madness that would follow the release of a Para2 forum knife.

This may come down to Sal having to decide between our top picks based on scheduling and capacity and maybe even his own preference just a little bit.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Alnamvet68

Post by Alnamvet68 »

Would like the '15 forum knife to be a Delica 4 with brown G-10 scales, and non-reflective, stone washed, hollow/sabre ground CTS-XHP steel. The clip should also be stonewashed to match the blade.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

I just noticed that after almost a week without any action the "2015 Forum Knife Blade Length, Updated Poll, Simplified" got a couple more votes overnight for a total of 105 votes. The additional voting went to the approx 3" range as well as the 3 1/4" to 3 1/2" range so there was no relative gain by the second place choice. But please note that this poll has no closing date (but choices can also not be changed).

So if another 100 people or even 1000 people :rolleyes: who didn't have the opportunity or inclination to vote previously wants to rally to vote for the blade length of their favourite model then who know what might happen? ;) :D
bh49

Post by bh49 »

grewich wrote:Tell me you dont want a forum pm2 cf m4. Paramilitary 2 carbon fiber m4!(s110v, k390, etc... !!
I want this knife too, and there are quite a few knives I want more :)
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Alnamvet68 wrote:Would like the '15 forum knife to be a Delica 4 with brown G-10 scales, and non-reflective, stone washed, hollow/sabre ground CTS-XHP steel. The clip should also be stonewashed to match the blade.
That blade length didn't make the cut but if you can find another 29 forumites (at the time of this posting 52-24 results) who agree with you and convince them to vote in the "approx 3" category of the blade length then you have a shot.......but then again if it goes to another model poll based on that length then the Chaparral or Native might beat the Delica out anyways :p

I don't think that the general trend that has already been represented by the voting on blade length so far will change much in relative ratios with more voting .......but who knows?

Don't you just love democracy? :D
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

bh49 wrote:
grewich wrote:Tell me you dont want a forum pm2 cf m4. Paramilitary 2 carbon fiber m4!(s110v, k390, etc... !!
I want this knife too, and there are quite a few knives I want more :)
Maybe the second place knife might end up as a Sprint version if the votes are that tight in the end? Who knows maybe a CF M4 PM2 is already in the pipeline as a Sprint or Exclusive? :)

Hmmmn, I guess that was a subtle way of saying that the Caly 3.5 is going to triumph? :p
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

It would surprise me if this happened this year..I think 2016 or 2017 would be more likely..

If the Para2 wins why not make it a K390 Para2? M4 is a good steel but its not K390..
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Philo Beddoe wrote:It would surprise me if this happened this year..I think 2016 or 2017 would be more likely..

If the Para2 wins why not make it a K390 Para2? M4 is a good steel but its not K390..
Indeed, why not K390? ;) :)

I see that you are starting your shameless plugging for your favourite steel early in advance of the steel poll.......now that is what I call the long term strategic marketing approach!

Too bad the Caly 3.5 is going to win by a landslide :p
bh49

Post by bh49 »

First of all, thank you for putting all this togeter.
ManixFan wrote: Paramilitary 2
Manix 2
Caly 3.5
Foundry
Domino
Southard
Spyderco R (Solid Non-skeletonized Blade)
SuperHawk
SuperLeaf
Persian
Second, I am wondering why Manix2 LW is not on the list? For some reason never cared much about M2 and I like M2 LW a lot. There is no reasonable explanation, but this what it is.
The third, why no Spyderhawk on the list?
And the last, but not least. Persian is bolstered, micarta, hollow grind knife. I love it. Black G10, FFG is a Persian2. Just wanted to make it clear. I would vote for Persian, but I doubt that it has any chances.
It is too bad that there is no Native5 on your list. Two last Forum knives were Natives and forum members were nuts about both of them. I beleive that Native5 LW would make a great Forum knife. I am aware that the blade is shorter than a leading group. But the price of N5 LW would be a big attraction. If somebody would make a poll on a price range, under $100 would win by huge margin.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

ManixFan wrote:
Philo Beddoe wrote:It would surprise me if this happened this year..I think 2016 or 2017 would be more likely..

Indeed, why not K390? ;) :)

I see that you are starting your shameless plugging for your favourite steel early in advance of the steel poll.......now that is what I call the long term strategic marketing approach!

Too bad the Caly 3.5 is going to win by a landslide :p
The Caly 3.5 is a good knife so OK K390 Caly 3.5 :)

But being made in Japan isn't it limited to Japanese steels? Seems I remember reading that somewhere..
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

If the MANIX 2 wins then the LW variant can always be voted on after the model is selected. The polling only allows for 10 options though. I did look at the SpyderHawk but just like the new Stretch it too is beyond the 3.5" cutoff that I believed might keep people from being to legally EDC the Forum knife in a lot of areas within the USA.......including Colorado.

No poll setup will be perfect because additional issues will always be thought of after the fact. :o
But the initial voting responses do seem to be showing some definite preferences which is the data the Spyderco can use in considering what they can offer us for the next Forum knife.

Getting a Forum knife in the first place is a unique and awesome opportunity and as I said previously you have to take the voting with a grain of salt since Sal & Spyderco have not given any indication of whether they approve of disapprove of ANY of the models selected or even the blade length category. But the data collected through the polling is at least some useful data where they can see what the Spyderco Forum members WISHES are for the next Forum knife......whether this occurs in 2015 or even 2016.

There is the old saying "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"........or perhaps have a Spyderco issued Lightsaber
So with that in mind.......keep voting and keep wishing and.......MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU ;) :p
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Lum tanto would be sweetness in HAP40 or a Starmate with similar treatment.. Not to sound negative, but I'm not too interested in duplicates (triplicates etc. of the current options ;))
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

bh49 wrote: If somebody would make a poll on a price range, under $100 would win by huge margin.
That poll would probably need to be first. That's it! We need a poll to establish hierarchy of polls then repoll everything! :) ... but we wouldn't know when to do the hierarchy poll until we knew the hierarchy :confused: :eek:
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.