Another full SE question....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: Another full SE question....

Post by JD Spydo »

Lord vader wrote:We need to start campaign for a full serrated captain, I would love to have one or two in my arsenal of workhorses.
You are "spot on" Lord Vader :cool: You and I are not the only ones wanting a Spyderedged Captain model I'm hearing that echoed throughout Spyderville on a regular basis the last 6 months or so. Every thread that mentions the Captain model always brings up the subject of a Spyderedged Captain. If I had one myself I wouldn't carry my Hawkbills nearly as much because a Spyderedged Captain would truly give you the best of 3 diffent blade designs.

All they would need to do is to put a Spyderedge on the inner arch part of the Captain blade and you could leave the pendulum end plain edged and you would have a dream utility knife. I bet warehousemen and people in the fishing industry would love that bad boy.

There are at least 6 models I could also recommend to re-intro in the H-1 Salt series and in Spyderedge but I'll take them one at a time>> the Captain is first on everyone's list I'm sure of it.
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

That sounds like an ideal combo edge configuration on the Captain.That sounds like a winner.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Lord vader wrote:That sounds like an ideal combo edge configuration on the Captain.That sounds like a winner.
I was told by a very reliable source that Jason Breeden's original design of the Captain indeed did have the inner arch part of the blade serrated. I know Spyderco has trended in the other direction concerning PE & SE obviously because sales statistics tend to dictate almost everything in the business world unfortunately.

People tend to just automatically dislike what they don't understand. A lot of people here are somewhat opposed to Spyderedged blades because they are intimidated concerning sharpening and maintenance concerns. Their fear and apprehension are truly unfounded if they would just learn to do it I think we would see more enthusiasm with Spyderedged blades IMO
Drew78

Post by Drew78 »

Interesting point on people being put off by SE due to perceived sharpening difficulties. The full SE Spyderco's that I have are actually the easiest and quickest to bring an edge back on. a couple passes on the tooth side with the 30deg setting on my Sharpmaker using a fine rod, and then a few *VERY* light strokes on the back side of the blade leave it wickedly sharp. Now mind you, I don't let my knives get dull but constantly keep after my edges. I cant stand marginally sharp knives.

I hear/read the same thing about recurve blades too. Same thing applies, no big deal!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Drew78 wrote:Interesting point on people being put off by SE due to perceived sharpening difficulties. The full SE Spyderco's that I have are actually the easiest and quickest to bring an edge back on. a couple passes on the tooth side with the 30deg setting on my Sharpmaker using a fine rod, and then a few *VERY* light strokes on the back side of the blade leave it wickedly sharp. Now mind you, I don't let my knives get dull but constantly keep after my edges. I cant stand marginally sharp knives.

I hear/read the same thing about recurve blades too. Same thing applies, no big deal!
Thanks for your input there DREW :) Have you ever tried Spyderco's 701 Profiles to sharpen serrated blades with? They are currently discontinued but can be found if you look in certain places. There are radii on both sides that fit just about any serration scallop and corners that are the correct angle for getting into the spikes. They keep the serrations looking like they just came from the factory. And they get the edge as sharp as a witches tongue :eek:

You're a testimony that if there is a WILL then there is a WAY. I taught myself how to sharpen serrations and when I found the 701 Profiles I never looked back
Drew78

Post by Drew78 »

Never heard of or seen those. I'm intrigued. Feel free to pm me info on where to find them if you are so inclined.
Drew
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Drew78 wrote:Never heard of or seen those. I'm intrigued. Feel free to pm me info on where to find them if you are so inclined.
PM sent. Just Google the Spyderco 701 Profiles and I'm sure you'll find some great, informative information out about them. I hope some of the other guys chime in especially those who have scored some recently. I was lucky and stocked up on them when they were discontinued 2 years ago.

Now Spyderco says you can do the same sharpening jobs with the GOLDENSTONE sharpening stone that they sell. I've got one of those but I haven't yet totally figured out what the man that designed it had in mind. They said that they would eventually come out with a video explaining it better but I don't think they have done that yet unfortunately. One big problem I have with the Goldenstone is that it is available only in one grit. At least the 701 Profiles come in fine & medium both. Even that kit needs more grits to be complete in my opinion.

DMT has some conical diamond rods that help to keep serrations sharp you might want to check into. Spyderco's sharpening equipment is some of the best IMO so don't give up on finding a set of 701 Profiles.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:I may have to pick up an Opinel and have it serrated, just to see what happens.
You don't have to confine your selection with them only>> because TOPS and Frost Mora also have some decent carbon steel blades at decent prices and some great models to choose from too.

But if you do that EVIL let us know immediately what you think of carbon steel serrations because you've really got my curiosity going now. By the way I've also heard that HELLE also has some really nice carbon steel blades as well.