Spyderco slip its are growing on me

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
opusxpn

Spyderco slip its are growing on me

Post by opusxpn »

I'm liking the slip its more and more, the UKPK is something else, love the squeak, can't say enough about the pingo, the nice blade on the spydk and the roadie is just outstanding. I would really like more exotic steels on these. I know the Elmax is coming out(want those also). But I am talking about more affordable FRN models.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
Jazz

Re: Spyderco slip its are growing on me

Post by Jazz »

Yes, I'm liking them a lot, too. I'm carrying the drop point FFG UKPK foliage green right now. I love locks, but these are just quick and easy to open, use, and close. My SpyDK needs some tweaking so it's easier to open, but all in all, they're great knives. I can't wait for a Roadie.
- best wishes, Jazz.
SharpShooter901

Post by SharpShooter901 »

I really like the looks of the drop point UKPK also, but I wonder about accidently having a non-locking blade close on my fingers. Wish I could try out a UKPK, but I have not been able to find any in my area. Prices are very nice on this knife, which I think is a perfect size for pocket carry.
I am a new collector! Finch, Dragonfly P&S, Cat, Robin P&S, Persistence, Delica, Tasman, Sage 1, Salt 1 P&S, Manix 2 Light.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I like the UKPKs, but these Bob Terzuola slip-its are just awesome:

On Edge

Post by On Edge »

I have always liked the look of the Terzuola ... but the 'slip-it' aspect put me off ... more re-thinking ...

(BTW, my wallet needs me to stop all this re-thinking ... :eek: )

~ edge
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

SharpShooter901 wrote:I really like the looks of the drop point UKPK also, but I wonder about accidently having a non-locking blade close on my fingers. Wish I could try out a UKPK, but I have not been able to find any in my area. Prices are very nice on this knife, which I think is a perfect size for pocket carry.
My thoughts at first also but once I started using the pingo, then the squeak, and the UKPK they work like a charm for casual cutting and the intermediate stop I think the chances of getting your fingers are very slim. I am more careful with other slip joints these feel more safe in a way.
Last edited by opusxpn on Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

GoldenSpydie wrote:I like the UKPKs, but these Bob Terzuola slip-its are just awesome:

Those are awesome
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

SharpShooter901 wrote:I really like the looks of the drop point UKPK also, but I wonder about accidently having a non-locking blade close on my fingers. Wish I could try out a UKPK, but I have not been able to find any in my area. Prices are very nice on this knife, which I think is a perfect size for pocket carry.
My first one was the Squeak, and the way the choil is positioned, I think closing on your fingers is nearly impossible. I have a couple of Pingos now, and love them, too. Having them close accidentally has never been an issue for me, but I am using them mainly for light tasks because of their size. I don't know if it would be more of an issue for a larger knife being used for more heavy duty tasks.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

My first one was the Squeak
I'm definitely going to get one of them or a UKPK at some stage this year. The Ti/Elmax Squeak looks pretty cool to me, just have to wait and see how much it costs.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
SharpShooter901

opusxpn wrote:
SharpShooter901 wrote:.....My thoughts at first also but once I started using the pingo, then the squeak, and the UKPK they work like a charm for casual cutting and the intermediate stop I think the chances of getting your fingers are very slim. I am more careful with other slip joints these feel more safe in a way.
Yeah, I remembered I have used a Swiss Army knife (Climber? Camper?) for years and never had a problem. Perhaps I will try a UKPK if I can find one in a color I like, and the drop point. ......at some point I need to stop buying knives though! :eek:
I am a new collector! Finch, Dragonfly P&S, Cat, Robin P&S, Persistence, Delica, Tasman, Sage 1, Salt 1 P&S, Manix 2 Light.
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

Johnnie1801 wrote:
My first one was the Squeak
I'm definitely going to get one of them or a UKPK at some stage this year. The Ti/Elmax Squeak looks pretty cool to me, just have to wait and see how much it costs.
I found a great deal on Squeaks a little while back and bought a couple. I really like them. I generally take the clips off and they disappear into the watch pocket on most jeans.

A UKPK has been on my want list for a while now... I should just pull the trigger on one of those!
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

On Edge wrote:I have always liked the look of the Terzuola ... but the 'slip-it' aspect put me off ... more re-thinking ...

(BTW, my wallet needs me to stop all this re-thinking ... :eek: )

~ edge
opusxpn wrote:Those are awesome
Thanks guys...the best part is that I got them both for a total of $50. :D

I like the UKPKs too. The CF version is my favorite, but they're all unique and interesting.

Here is one that I modded to have a pointer tip:

On Edge

Post by On Edge »

GoldenSpydie wrote:" ... Thanks guys...the best part is that I got them both for a total of $50. :D
Dude, you are killin' me ... good on ya!

~ edge
swigert

Post by swigert »

I have a roadie coming on thursday that I am really excited about. My guess is it will be a add on to the edc load out.
CAMAROMAN

Post by CAMAROMAN »

Speaking of slip-its...... Just found me a T-Mag !
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

CAMAROMAN wrote:Speaking of slip-its...... Just found me a T-Mag !
Oh--I forgot about that one! Congrats on your score. It is really an underrated knife, IMHO. The CF scales have just the right texture and the magnet "lock" is really cool. Enjoy!

Jazz

Post by Jazz »

...and today it's the black G10 leaf UKPK in my pocket.
- best wishes, Jazz.
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

The Roadie arrived today. It's too early to say but methinks it has lots of potential particularly as a gift and as a check in travel knife when I travel to places with unknown knife laws. I've never really bonded with the UKPK (probably because of the spring) but I am very fond the Terzoula and the Pingo.

Waiting impatiently for the PITS which I think is going to be a magnificent knife .... and also the FRN Urban
SharpShooter901

PSquared wrote: ..... I've never really bonded with the UKPK (probably because of the spring) ...
How's that work? Where's the spring? How's it work? Is that the think I have read that makes it hard to open or close? I'm thinking of adding a UKPK to the collection. I suppose I can do more research, but it's always best to hear from someone who actually uses these knives..........................
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

SharpShooter901 wrote:
PSquared wrote: ..... I've never really bonded with the UKPK (probably because of the spring) ...
How's that work? Where's the spring? How's it work? Is that the think I have read that makes it hard to open or close? I'm thinking of adding a UKPK to the collection. I suppose I can do more research, but it's always best to hear from someone who actually uses these knives..........................
Excuse the poor photo but it is already dark here - the backstrap flexes and acts as a spring to provide the tension - this may be the incorrect terminology but you can see from the photo how the thing works ....

The older model UKPKs spring tension was less than say a Swiss army knife, the DKPK in my photo above or one of the newer slip joints like the Pingo - I believe they were improved later.