Powdered Milk

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Powdered Milk

Post by Doc Dan »

Let me say right off the bat that I hate powdered milk. The stuff tastes horrible. But, it is cheap. However, a friend with a nutrition degree told me about some powdered whole milk made in New Zealand called Fern Leaf. Wow! That stuff is good! It tastes like regular milk, and better than most brands of regular milk, at that. Now, I am getting my regular milk fix with this stuff and it is much less expensive than regular liquid milk. I eat it in my oats, I drink glasses of it, my wife puts it in her tea, and it is easy to keep up with my carb exchanges with it. Great stuff. (I wonder if it is made by Hobbits?)
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Re: Powdered Milk

Post by Doc Dan »

Update: Fernleaf is made by Anchor of New Zealand.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
eidah

Post by eidah »

New Zealand has highly regulated industry and farming production. Their lifestock is 100% grass fed (meat, milk, butter) Very healthy and I love their stuff. :)
Check out their whittaker's chocolate :) Better and cheaper than cadbury and made with real coco oil not palm oil like cadbury.
Anchor butter that is made in Newseland is 100% grass fed. Anchor that is produced in the UK is rubbish.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

When I was a kid, the only milk my family had was powdered milk. It all depends on what you are used to I guess, I didn't mind the flavor of it then, but the last time I tasted it as an adult I really didn't care for it :). But our powdered milk most definitely did not come from New Zealand. And if the Fernleaf brand is more expensive than regular powdered milk, we probably still would not have been able to afford it.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I used to drink powdered milk when I was younger. Its taste was interesting, sometimes good, sometimes not. But it is nutritious I hear.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Here is a cool online guide to purchasing and using powdered milk, I found:

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/powderedmilk.htm" target="_blank

Would you all consider it a good survival food?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

eidah wrote:New Zealand has highly regulated industry and farming production. Their lifestock is 100% grass fed (meat, milk, butter) Very healthy and I love their stuff. :)
Check out their whittaker's chocolate :) Better and cheaper than cadbury and made with real coco oil not palm oil like cadbury.
Anchor butter that is made in Newseland is 100% grass fed. Anchor that is produced in the UK is rubbish.
Anchor in UK has a terrible reputation because they passed a law that says they have to use only UK milk and cream from UK cows. So, they ruined the famous flavor of a famous brand, there. It is kind of like gun and knife laws there. It baffles the mind at some of the things they do.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Here is a cool online guide to purchasing and using powdered milk, I found:

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/powderedmilk.htm" target="_blank

Would you all consider it a good survival food?
Great article.

Yes, powdered milk is easy to store and provides much needed nutrition. So it is a survival food.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Nestle's Nido has a good reputation in the UK outdoors community as producing something that tastes like whole milk....Tend to find it more often in 'corner shops' and Indian/Asian supermarkets, which is a good sign as Indian cuisine is heavy on the dairy.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Nido& ... 0116130790" target="_blank

Marvel is the other variety of milk powder you find in most every supermarket and it's bloody vile...though you may wish to acquire it for comparison purposes ;)
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Nido& ... k&tbm=shop" target="_blank
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

:rolleyes: We have used Powdered milk (Anchor) exclusively on board for many years.
My first big boat didn't have refrigeration, so powdered milk was the way to go. My Fridge consisted of a 15 litre Sealine Kodiac sac, sealed, then placed inside a Hemp sack on deck. Poured water (salt) over 2x Per day. Well cooled food. Very effective. Just a pain to get food out when required.

Production process for Powdered Milk here is very precise, and I can categorically state, No Hobbits are included in process. Too short to pull the cows titties.. :rolleyes:
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

kiwisailor wrote:Production process for Powdered Milk here is very precise, and I can categorically state, No Hobbits are included in process. Too short to pull the cows titties.. :rolleyes:
Now that's just funny right there! :D
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

kiwisailor wrote:Production process for Powdered Milk here is very precise, and I can categorically state, No Hobbits are included in process. Too short to pull the cows titties.. :rolleyes:
LOL! very hard.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
dewildeman

Post by dewildeman »

As a Boy Scout in the '60's, powered milk was a staple for our campouts, nothing was stored in coolers. It's amazing how many things can be made with powered milk, Bisquik and a little oil.
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Is this available here in the US? Looks to be a very good product to get in larger bulk packs for a "what if" scenario, but who is the distributor in the states?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I do not know. http://www.anchor.co.nz/" target="_blank
http://www.fonterra.com/global/en/Our+P ... nds/Anchor" target="_blank

When you do find out, make certain you do not get the UK Anchor. As stated above, that stuff is really awful. Get the NZ Anchor.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

When I was a kid, we went for a long stretch where all we had was powdered milk (Pet, I think), times were pretty tough, but I know that my Dad was doing his best to ensure we were getting what we needed nutrition-wise, just in case there was something lacking due to our budgetary constraints ...
See, my Dad was into 'holistics' long before it was cool or en vogue or any of the "chain" nutrition stores existed … he used to continuously teach us about the nutritional value in this or that, and was always shoving natural foods or naturally-ocurring supplements down our gullets … I mean what kid was drinking Rose Hip Tea in 1969? ****, what kid is drinking Rose Hip Tea today?
To this day, he still sends me Brewer's Yeast every six months to make sure I have a supply … "The stuff is magic" he says ...

BTW, Dad is 89 and still doing pretty well (knock on wood) … !

I might try to score some Anchor (NZ) milk … thanks!

EDIT: OK, I browsed the Anchor website, read just about every word, hit the 'partner product' links, read those, read all about their program to get milk to all the kids that need it … and now I am getting interested in NZ itself … very interested …

~ edge
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Of all places, found some available on Amazon. Listed under Anchor powdered milk. Will try some to use when camping with the new trailer when it's finished & as an emergency stash for food stuffs. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.