2015 Forum Knife Blade Length - Updated Poll, Simplified

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

2015 Forum Knife Blade Length - Updated Poll, Simplified - No Models Mentioned

Sub 3"
13%
3" (Approx)
22%
3.25" to 3.5" (Inclusive)
51%
Greater than 3.5"
13%

Total votes: 113

ohcyclist

Re: 2015 Forum Knife Blade Length - Updated Poll, Simplified

Post by ohcyclist »

I did not mean to generate so much feeling earlier with my earlier post around models instead of blade length. I post fairly infrequently as I do not wish to stir things up. I will take a moment and vote in the poll although I do not have a strong opinion towards any of the listed options.

If we hear from the Spyder crew that a particular location of production or other factor is key Then I would hate for folks to feel disappointed. It is difficult to predict when the next forum knife might be produced and there is probably a fair amount of time for discussion on the topic.

It is very kind of spyderco to create forum knives, and whatever they decide is the right choice I will order assuming I have the funds at the time.
DM11

Post by DM11 »

Voted for 3 1/2 or greater
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

ManixFan wrote:Later Edit: Actually after reading Doug's post and then yours I realize that your reference to the Stretch 2 is alluding to the new as yet unreleased Stretch.......with the original Stretch existing prior to the ZDP CF Stretch (which I am really enjoying as my current EDC after picking it up recently).....it gets confusing :confused: I was actually thinking of the deeper choil Stretch recently redesigned but as yet unreleased Stretch as the Stretch 2 myself until I saw someone else refer to it as the Stretch 3 and thought about it some more :o
This gave me a Dooh- :confused: moment :eek: I had to check the spydiewiki. I hadn't realized that most of the existing Stretches were called Stretch 2 or Stretch II to distinguish them from the original Stainless Steel Kraton model made from 2004 to 2006, even though the 2 does not appear on the end of their SKU numbers as with other knives.

The spydiewiki says, "The second generation Stretch CF/FRN is often referred to as the "Stretch 2" or "Stretch II", while the FRN version is also additionally known as the 'Stretch Lightweight'."

But in the listings in the spydiewiki chart, none of them are referred to as "2" except the new 2015 model which is called "New Stretch 2."
http://spydiewiki.com/index.php?title=C90_Stretch" target="_blank

So, since it's called just Stretch 2 in the 2015 catalog, I'm opting to just call it Stretch 2 and forget about the Stretch 3 designation.

I have missed some of the other threads (and will track 'em down) but from what you said, I gather that there was some discussion about the fact that the new catalog lists the Stretch 2 blade as 3.57, 0.07 inch (less than 2mm) over 3.5 inch. Naturally I don't think this should kick it out of the running for forum knife, but there could be some people who have to go by strict length laws, and that's a whole different discussion.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Yes, you are correct in your research. The third iteration Stretch is called the Stretch 2 and the 2nd gen (CF) is called the Stretch and the FRN's would be the LtWt models (or lighter weight since they are still skeletonized steel liners). I will make the change in the model listing. :)

I agree that it is a shame that the extra tiny bit of blade length puts it past the legal limit and it is not an issue where I live but I believe that it would be in a lot of places in the US as well as Denver & Colorado itself from what I understand. What is ironic though is even though the blade length is 2mm longer, the edge length is 2mm shorter. So strangely enough a knife that legally can't be carried in CO actually has a shorter blade edge than one that can? :confused: It's too bad that the official length is already set into the Catalog as being 3.57" rather than just 3.5......it's not like most LEO's are carrying rulers around with them and even so it would be very easy to measure a 3.57" knife as 3.5" when taking a quick measurement.....especially if they were just measuring the cutting edge.

But if it were up to me.......I would love to see a 3.75" Stretch......even if the handle would have to get a touch bigger.
I'm also not sure how blade length is officially measured in US states.....and perhaps there may even be some differentiation there as well. Although the US has very lax gun laws in general (except for some cities and states) it appears that Canada has more reasonable knife laws......for the time being at least. Society is getting more and more uptight and PC though so who knows if that may change at some point in the future.

I'd love to see a diamond cut dark blue G10 Stretch 2 myself in HAP40 or Hitachi XVC11 as a Forum knife but I think that something like that would only have a chance at existing somewhere down the road a few years as a Sprint or exclusive if the yet to be released FRN Stretch remains popular. I may be wrong in my recollection but I seem to recall Sal saying in a discussion that the FRN version of the new Stretch would only get launched if the G10 version was well received. Or perhaps it might be that the G10 would remain in production after the FRN was released if it continued to do well......or maybe both statements were made? Not 100% sure on that though.

But there are a lot of great knives on the list that I would like to see as a potential Forum knife anyways and perhaps Spyderco might not to go with any of the models in the 3.25 to 3.5" (inclusive) range for a Forum knife.......which would be a shame since it appears from the polled numbers that this is the length people are hoping for. But then again there are some nice little knives in the approx 3" range and smaller as well.

I probably wouldn't have picked up the last Forum knife if it wasn't showcasing such an great new steel as I prefer slightly larger blades. But after getting it I really loved the ergos of the Native 5 as well as how attractive a little knife it was and then began to consider smaller knives. I now have 3 Dragonfly's (as well as a HB SE Ladybug Salt) and I really love the look and in-hand feel of the Dragonfly as well but aside from the gray SB sprint, I went with the G10 & Nishijin versions.

In any case, I am sure that I will be happy with whatever Spyderco decides to allow to be considered for the next Forum knife (as long as it isn't brown, toxic green, orange or yellow ;) )........I may end up picking up something that I might not have considered otherwise.

The Caly 3.5 has been pulling at me for a while but I really don't like lamination lines along with a soft steel cladding that scratches easily other wise I would have got the CF version already.....and now the 3.5 is being discontinued. A Forum version would be absolutely fantastic as a way to get one more G10 version from Spyderco in a Japanese boutique steel. But I will in any event probably end up with the G10 VG10 version shortly. The ONLY thing that I don't like about the Caly 3.5 is that the blade can fold into the finger when closing (even though it has a choil)........but I suppose that is the sacrifice that had to be made to keep the handle so close to a 1:1 ratio with the blade.

A multi-coloured contoured G10 sprint version might be pretty nice too. The contouring of the KW exclusive Benchmade M390 710 is quite an improvement over the flat scales of the regular version for an in-hand feel and some of the traditional Spyderco icons would probably benefit in improved ergo's with contoured G10 scales as well.

Also, that two-toned colour scheme is quite nice looking as well. I'd love to see a black & burgandy combination in contoured G10 on some future Spyderco :)
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

ManixFan wrote: I'm also not sure how blade length is officially measured in US states.....and perhaps there may even be some differentiation there as well. Although the US has very lax gun laws in general (except for some cities and states) it appears that Canada has more reasonable knife laws......for the time being at least. Society is getting more and more uptight and PC though so who knows if that may change at some point in the future.
I don't know how blade length is measured down here either. I've never heard of anybody getting their knife measured or being fined or arrested for an improper knife or having a knife confiscated, etc. Maybe I just don't run in the right crowds or live in a big or dangerous enough city. I'm thinking of starting a thread inquiring about knife violation experiences if any. I've always carried knives of any size I like and never had any problems, even though there is supposedly a four inch limit where I live. I'm sure it varies greatly from state to state. In many ways the individual states in the US are like a conglomeration of different countries. Try googling all the different ways executions have been carried out historically in different states and you'll be amazed.
I'd love to see a diamond cut dark blue G10 Stretch 2 myself in HAP40 or Hitachi XVC11 as a Forum knife but I think that something like that would only have a chance at existing somewhere down the road a few years as a Sprint or exclusive if the yet to be released FRN Stretch remains popular.
I'd love to have a Japanese forum knife -- Caly, Stretch, or something even more exotic, but from what Paul said, I agree that it's unlikely because of the 1200 unit minimum... unless the manufacturer could be persuaded to put different colored scales on some of the 1200 :eek: Then the run could be split between the forum knife and a sprint. ( I don't think it's likely that the forum members would want a forum knife that was distinguished from a sprint only by being labeled as a forum knife.) This brings to mind the fact that the Taichung factory seems to have more free capacity... Has anybody said what they would accept as a minimum?
I may be wrong in my recollection but I seem to recall Sal saying in a discussion that the FRN version of the new Stretch would only get launched if the G10 version was well received. Or perhaps it might be that the G10 would remain in production after the FRN was released if it continued to do well......or maybe both statements were made? Not 100% sure on that though.
In the FRN Stretch Update thread, Paul wrote:
The Deacon wrote:I'm not Sal, but this response by him in the thread about the new G-10 version seems to indicate that, if the G-10 version is well received, the FRN one will be upgraded. If that happens I can't see the ZDP version not being offered. I just hope they bring back the VG-10/FRN one.
sal wrote:It is scheduled for regular production to test the changes. If accepted, then we'll tool up for an FRN version. The longevity of the G-10 version will depend on sales after the FRN version comes out.

sal
I think it would be great if the forum knife could be an unusual model that most of us wouldn't have an opportunity or excuse to get otherwise, or a discontinued model (including the Caly) rather than something like a Manix or PM2. But it looks like it can't be a Japanese model unless the 1200 minimum can be resolved some way. If it's something fairly expensive like a Southard, Domino, or Dice (I wouldn't mind an excuse to get one of these), I don't think the addition of an even more expensive exotic steel would be required. For that matter, I'd be ecstatic if I could have a Foliage Green G-10 Caly 3.5 (or even 3) with VG-10 steel.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Fred S

Post by Fred S »

I kinda like PE Militaries, some fun new steel junkie blade would be cool
nccole

Post by nccole »

I voted in the majority, but really could go for a CPM 4V Military. Or K390, S110V, or 10V Mili. Don't care about color much but keep it G10.
tap78

Post by tap78 »

Military with k390/s110v for me too...
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Bump......for the beginning of the model poll :)
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Time for a Lum Tanto rerun? HAP40 and antique ivory micarta scales (black is fine as well)? Was hoping for a C22 Walker rerun, but most people seems to want a larger blade..
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Did Sal and Co mention a 2015 Forum Knife or is this wishful thinking?
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Blerv wrote:Did Sal and Co mention a 2015 Forum Knife or is this wishful thinking?
From the "2015 Forum knife request, by popular demand!" thread:
sal wrote:We're watching.

sal
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com