New Ti/Elmax Pingo...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Slash

Re: New Ti/Elmax Pingo...

Post by Slash »

I think the bug logo make it look cute and helps conform to the non-locking knife laws and what not. Price is a bit steep though. Can I buy one for $150 minus the bug?
knolan

Post by knolan »

bearfacedkiller wrote: Before your next hyperbole rant make sure that if you can dish it out that you can take it. You are entitled to your opinion and you are encouraged to share it (we all dislike some spydies) but you could try to be a little more tactful maybe.
That's funny, I don't feel very encouraged, but maybe you've got a point...let me think about it. Nope... a great knife design, still ruined (for me) with an ugly graphic.

Hope I haven't permanently damaged your delicate sensibilities and self worth in saying so...I realize differing opinions about a company & products that some have elevated to a celestial level can be confusing, and frightening to some...deep breaths, think about rainbows and butterfly's and you'll feel better soon. The big mean man is going away now.
knolan

Post by knolan »

Slash wrote:I think the bug logo make it look cute and helps conform to the non-locking knife laws and what not. Price is a bit steep though. Can I buy one for $150 minus the bug?
I think you're probably right about the logo adding to it's "lets not freak anyone out" vibe for a targeted market...although if there are indeed people that fear a Pingo in any form, they might be better off never leaving the house.

And, I'm certainly on-board with the $150 minus the bug idea!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

knolan wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote: Before your next hyperbole rant make sure that if you can dish it out that you can take it. You are entitled to your opinion and you are encouraged to share it (we all dislike some spydies) but you could try to be a little more tactful maybe.
That's funny, I don't feel very encouraged, but maybe you've got a point...let me think about it. Nope... a great knife design, still ruined (for me) with an ugly graphic.

Hope I haven't permanently damaged your delicate sensibilities and self worth in saying so...I realize differing opinions about a company & products that some have elevated to a celestial level can be confusing, and frightening to some...deep breaths, think about rainbows and butterfly's and you'll feel better soon. The big mean man is going away now.
No worries bro, I was just sharing my perspective. I don't care for the logo either. Mainly just because it is purple. Like I said, you are are entitled to your opinion and I encourage you to share it ( maybe in a more tactful way :) ) and i'm sorry if you feel like you can't. I was just trying to help. If you choose to continue with that tone then your on your own. My delicate sensibilities and self worth are just fine and thanks for asking. :D

I plan on picking one up and working up from 1000 grit to 2500 grit wet/dry paper and then maybe a light brushing with some 000 steel wool to get a finish I like. I wouldn't let the logo or spyderco not making the knife exactly the way you want it prevent you from picking one up. Where there is a will there is a way. You can easily remove it and in all honestly I think titanium scratches so easily that periodic refinishing is just part of routine maintenance with them.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

One of the things I usually like about this forum is that most of us are tolerant of other people's opinions and can disagree respectfully.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Have a nice day knolan. By the way, there're no apostrophes in plurals. I really hate when people do that, but... that's just my opinion.
- best wishes, Jazz.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

The large purple logo looks like it would appeal more to women.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Jazz wrote:Have a nice day knolan. By the way, there're no apostrophes in plurals. I really hate when people do that, but... that's just my opinion.
He should have loaned them to Bearface, who left them out of a few you're(s).

I think we learned two things in this thread: It's easier to remove a logo than it is to add one, and the use of the apostrophe needs to be respected.
bearfacedkiller

I am gonna blame it on a combination of autocorrect and gin. :D

Did I do it more than once? My grammar sucks. :p

Like usual, I regret even commenting in the first place. Sometimes I can't help but to take the bait. :confused:
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Does anyone have an example of titanium scales that have been stone washed or scratched up deliberately?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I removed all the blue anodizing from one of my Centofante Memories. It turned out very nice...

:bug-red-white
bearfacedkiller

Going up to 2500 grit sandpaper then brushing with steel wool. You can barely see your reflection but the finish is definitely brushed and hides the very fine scratches that you get from edc use. It came from the seconds sale and was used and the bolsters were very scratched up so I refinished them like this.

Here you can see my hand holding the camera in the reflection but it looks brushed. I like this finish myself and ti is soft enough that it is easy to do.

-Darby
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Here's a ZT 0550 that I stonewashed myself with rocks from the garden, tumbled in my dryer.

Here it is next to the factory stonewashed Techno.

RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Nice work on that ZT gbelleh! I was thinking of trying that with my Ti Millie that keeps getting scratched up. Can you give us a quick go-through of how you did it? Thanks!

In regards to sanding Ti, I've done it quite a bit with the extra fine purple 3M sanding sponges, cleaning up most recently a mess I made on the back of my Chokwe swapping the clip (broke a clip screw, scratched the Ti all up, it was sad :(). It also makes the Ti very soft and smooth.

Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I did a detailed writeup with pictures posted somewhere on the web, but I can't find it. Must've been deleted by someone at some point??

Basically, I got several rocks from my garden (about 1/2" to 1" in diameter), put them into a sturdy plastic container with a lid. Placed the parts to be stonewashed into the container (filled about 1/4 full of the rocks, and just a little bit, maybe a teaspoon of water). Then taped up the container very well, placed the container between two pillows and taped it all together very well. Put it in the dryer, no heat, for about half an hour. The parts came out nicely finished. I went over all the pieces with some steel wool just to give it a nice uniform finish, and that's it.

I found a few pics from the process...

Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

That is some very nice work fellas!

BFK, I really like the brushed bolsters. I never thought to do the scratching in all the same direction like you did. It looks like it came from the factory like that. Very nice indeed.

Gbelleh, thanks for the mini tutorial. I've read about that process before but have always been hesitant to try it myself. I think I might give it a go on my Swick 3 which I scratched up pretty bad. If it works out, I may try it on the new Titanium Squeak once it is released.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Yea, the more I peruse the catalog the more I'm mentally committing to picking up the Ti squeak. Not sure what it is, just something about the combo really calls to me. Normally I'm a fan of mid to large locking folders, but hey, gotta fill all the niches!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I am gonna blame it on a combination of autocorrect and gin. :D
Come on Darby... it's 9:39am Eastern and you're already into the Gin? ;)
bearfacedkiller wrote:Going up to 2500 grit sandpaper then brushing with steel wool. You can barely see your reflection but the finish is definitely brushed and hides the very fine scratches that you get from edc use. It came from the seconds sale and was used and the bolsters were very scratched up so I refinished them like this.

Here you can see my hand holding the camera in the reflection but it looks brushed. I like this finish myself and ti is soft enough that it is easy to do.

This touch-up looks terrific. Did you tape off the CF to prevent unwanted finish changes on the scales?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Donut

Post by Donut »

This is obviously the complaining thread and the one I started before this one is obviously the support thread.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Donut wrote:This is obviously the complaining thread and the one I started before this one is obviously the support thread.
Yea but complaining threads are click bait, so you should have started some controversy if you wanted hits. Internet marketing 101, sucka.

I've been trying to get some co-conspirators on the Ti squeak wagon. It's necessary for me to feel that this one is in demand to buy it immediately instead of waffling ("but it's so small").