New Ti/Elmax Pingo...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
knolan

New Ti/Elmax Pingo...

Post by knolan »

Happened to be perusing the "Coming Soon" section of Blade HQ's site and was surprised to discover that the new Ti scaled, Elmax blade version of the Pingo is expected sometime in (early?) 2015! Just about any new Jens Anso design gets my attention, and as a fan of smaller contemporary folders, I've been awaiting this Anso/Voxnaes colab. since Sal dropped a hint about it a few mos. back.

Always admired the original Pingo but disliked the FRN scales, and always hoped for an premium version of this folder. Unfortunately it's still a two-handed opener, nevertheless I'm gonna have to work this one into my budget at some point...maybe wishful thinking, but I just hope the street price settles in south of $200 a few mos. after it drops.

EDIT: OMG :eek: ...I take it all back! I just caught a first glimpse of a pic of this new blade on KnifeCenter's site and now see that it has a childish, "wraparound" bug logo on the scales?!! What!! I had hoped for, or kinda anticipated a nice stone-washed or satin finish on the scales...IMHO, and aesthetics are subjective I know...but this is HIDEOUS and ruined it for me, (looks like a high school girl's first knife to keep in her purse, or more acurately, a China produced fake Spyderco)? I will definitely scratch this one off my list....Hmm, an FRN Pingo suddenly doesn't seem so bad.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Re: New Ti/Elmax Pingo...

Post by apollo »

Arent you a bit hard on this one ?
Spyderco put a **** of a lot of hard work and money in this knife to please us all.

If you do not like the logo i am sure there are many ways to cleanly remove it. :)
(I do not know how but many here will because there where guys already talking about this)

Sounds to me that when the logo is gone you will like the knife because al the rest of the knife is just wat you want... An upgraded pingo with better steel and a tank of a handle so that i think sounds perfect doenst it?
So just ask the guys here how to remove it. And be happy with a state of the art master piece of a pingo. :)

just my 2 cents.
greetings apollo
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I'm not a fan of that wraparound graphic either, but it says it's anodized. So it should be easy to remove.
:bug-red-white
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Or perhaps to re-anodize the whole handle to a higher voltage so it becomes uniform in color. I wonder if the logo is raised or not (just masked off)... Should be fun to play with these!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would think that some ultra fine sandpaper and then some steel wool for a brushed look would take care of that.

Ti scratches so easily that this is how I have maintained my bolsters on my caly3 and sage4.

The brushed finish hides light scratches well.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
knolan

Post by knolan »

apollo wrote:Arent you a bit hard on this one ?
Spyderco put a **** of a lot of hard work and money in this knife to please us all.
Maybe...but I stand by my opinion. I suppose Spyderco was trying to add a bit of whimsy to the folder considering it was designed for markets where one handed openers are prohibited and perhaps non-knife people would think it cute, but I had hoped for a classier more dignified version of the production Pingo, sans gigantic corporate logos. I thought maybe a fine Scotchbrite pad might remove it, but am unsure how deep the ano goes into the scales? If others are successful in easily removing the ano, I may reconsider later on if availability is adequate, since otherwise I would have been all over this knife.

Incidentally, I personally don't believe enthusiast forums exist exclusively for praise of every product a company makes...opinions are just opinions.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

It's a bit different but not as bad as you are making out, and like others have mentioned you can modify it. Here is the pic from the new catalogue.

Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
bearfacedkiller

You can please some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

John Lydgate
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
knolan

Post by knolan »

Johnnie1801 wrote:It's a bit different but not as bad as you are making out, and like others have mentioned you can modify it. Here is the pic from the new catalogue.

Sorry, but IMO this is cringe worthy.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

While it isn't my style, there are about a dozen or so extremely easy methods for getting rid of that bug. If you like the package otherwise, I think it's pretty silly to scratch it off your list.
Blade and Flame

Post by Blade and Flame »

The anodized graphic isn't my style, but everything else about the Ti frame looks great. Very clean lines and nice chamfered edges.

Think of it this way, it could be worse — the bug could be etched or engraved into the handle.
sal

Post by sal »

Easier to remove the graphic than to add a graphic.

sal
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

I like it.. :cool:
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I don't normally go for logos, but I actually like it on the Pingo.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

When you state your opinion, maybe you could first get your panties out of a bunch. Chill out.

I was hoping for plain Ti, but it looks great how they're doing it. Easy to remove, if I want.
- best wishes, Jazz.
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

I do like the logo, to me it's less boring then a plain Ti version like the Squeak.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Yeah, I'm not too crazy about the graphic either, but much like the Carpenter logo on the Foundry I bet it looks much better in person. And, like others have noted, it's easy to undo. I'd personally go for anodizing the whole thing if you can't stand it.
knolan

Post by knolan »

Jazz wrote:When you state your opinion, maybe you could first get your panties out of a bunch. Chill out.
You can go back to your fanboy group hug now...you suck-up.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I actually like the logo. It is something new and different. Kind of adds a bit of pizazz to the otherwise vanilla Ti handle too.
bearfacedkiller

"Hideous", "childish", "looks like a high school girl's first knife to keep in her purse" and "a China produced fake Spyderco"

and your upset about,

"When you state your opinion, maybe you could first get your panties out of a bunch. Chill out."

Before your next hyperbole rant make sure that if you can dish it out that you can take it. You are entitled to your opinion and you are encouraged to share it (we all dislike some spydies) but you could try to be a little more tactful maybe.
-Darby