2004 Knife Expo in Buena, CA

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zeus

2004 Knife Expo in Buena, CA

Post by zeus »

The show is this weekend. Anyone going?
swede

Post by swede »

I went this afternoon (Fri). No Spydies of interest, but I found a nice old Gerber Paul (my other favorite knife).

Dave
kfriel

Post by kfriel »

I went yesterday and am going back today. Spydies of interest a Santa Fe Stone works in beautiful pearl, and saw the Persian for the first time. Good show, more tables then I expected. Going back today with my wife and hitting the seminars.
Kevin
Eremitike

Post by Eremitike »

Couldn't make it; had to work. But I'll probably be going to the next Costa Mesa show in March. More Spydercos there anyway from the sound of it.

Eremitike
swede

Post by swede »

Yeah, you won't miss too much. I was a little disappointed in the prices I saw. The seller with some beautiful engraved Spydercos and a really complete inventory (I think a dealer from San Diego) has prices at or about full retail. There was the odd Spyderkey with Stag handles (one kind of loose). He said he'd part with it for $200. Too rich for my blood.
Although some Mfgs were there (Buck, Puma, etc.), no sign of Spyderco either.

All in all, worth it for the old Gerber Paul I found, and to look at some truly gorgeous customs (Jot Khalsa had some screamers).

Dave
kfriel

Post by kfriel »

Dave,
I ended up with a stainless Kiwi from the same dealer. Wright Knife In La Mesa got some
miltec oil as well and a little fixed blade carry knife from a maker. All in all I thought it a good show, with good turnout.
Forging,grinding, and rope cutting seminars where excellent!
Kevin
zeus

Post by zeus »

I went on Saturday and it was packed! They need a much bigger room…. I was able to handle both the Chinook I and Chinook II at the expensive guy’s booth (full retail) in addition to the ATR, all nice knives. I’ll probably end up getting one of each off the net.
I did purchase a paper wheel sharpening system for 35 bucks that does wonders in a few seconds!! Now I need to find an old serrated number to practice on.
Also picked up a knurled clamp-on thumbstud to nest in the Spyderhole (poorman’s version of a cobra hood) and some phosphor bronze washers for my Military to replace those stock plastic ones. It’s much smoother now IMHO, but it was a bit of work to thin those things down to the stock thickness. Quite a tight fit in there, and the knife is very sensitive to torque on different screw areas, it takes a lot of tweaking to get the blade flick right (for me anyway). I switched to the metal washers to take advantage of Miltech’s properties. The thumbstud gives me a nice toggle grip (think of the bolt on a Luger pistol) and the hole is still big enough for a pinch grip.

Zeus
swede

Post by swede »

zeus,

I saw that paper wheel sharpening system. Do you like it? Almost got one myself. After handling and seeing, which do you like best...Chinook I or II?

Dave
zeus

Post by zeus »

Dave,

I couldn't choose between the Chinook I or II in the short time that I was able to handle them, but as a fan of larger knives, I am leaning toward the first edition for "heft". As I posted earlier, I’m just gonna get ‘em both !

I use a Lansky Deluxe system modified to run a Dremel Flex-shaft for quick removal and diamond bench stones adapted to take the guide rods for most of the edges (again, poorman's solutions), but this paper wheel system is FAST . I really like it. I just need to come up with something to give me a precise and repeatable angle, like the Lansky does. The paper wheel is akin to hand honing in appearance so it’s not as “professional” and you get a smidge of waviness or softness to the look of the edge, (like a buffer) but it does get it mirror polished and sharp, I’m talking push cut, scary, straight razor sharp. So who cares what it looks like as long as it works, right? No water or oil or changing stones ,or cleanup…. But a bit on the dangerous side!
You can check out more info on Steve Bottorff’s website: http://www.ameritech.net/users/knives/index.htm

for all kinds of sharpening info. He mentions that Koval Knife supplies put out a one inch wide vs. the ¾” set of these wheels for less money (25 bucks). Here’s the link for them : http://www.kovalknives.com/sharpeners.htm

So now I have two systems to resort to, the Lansky for crisp precise grinds and the wheels for a very fast mirror polished razor edge.

Zeus
zeus

Post by zeus »

I forgot, if you get the wheel system, turn the motor or grinder around backwards so the wheels spin up and away from the base. I use a safety foot switch since the stock switch is now obstructed.

Zeus
zeus

Post by zeus »

Dave,

Here are some Chinook I vs. Chinook II comments on Blade Foums:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... did=293054
kfriel

Post by kfriel »

Eremitike
Costa Mesa show in March? What show is this? Where, when?
Kevin
swede

Post by swede »

A Gun Show (with some knives) at Fairgrounds in Costa Mesa, 3/27-28. Ref: www.crossroadsofthewest.com.

Dave
zeus

Post by zeus »

try this link for the crossroads show:

http://www.crossroadsgunshows.com/gener ... mation.htm
kfriel

Post by kfriel »

Thanx guys,
I'll check it out.
Kevin