What model Spyderco is this?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

What model Spyderco is this?

Post by Surfingringo »

I was at the marina a few days ago and one of the boat owners pulled this out. I guess this model was before my time. What is this?

Executive?
Invective

Re: What model Spyderco is this?

Post by Invective »

Yup looks like an Executive to me.
bob7

Post by bob7 »

How was the lockup? Did you offer to buy it? And, great picture. I've always wanted a plain edge executive.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I suspect that it's plain stainless on both sides and, if that's true, then it's definitely an Executive. However, if there's a Kraton inlay on the opposite side, it's a Spur.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

A cousin of mine has had the exact same knife since the '90's (I think...he thinks he remembers buying it in the late '90's but isn't sure) and I've always wondered which model it was. He still carries it at work and mainly uses it to open boxes and envelopes and such.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Deacon wrote:I suspect that it's plain stainless on both sides and, if that's true, then it's definitely an Executive. However, if there's a Kraton inlay on the opposite side, it's a Spur.
Most Spurs I've ever seen were all combo edges. Both of the ones i had were. It looks more like an Executive or maybe even an early model "hunter" which you don't see much of anymore. NO I don't think it's a Spur or Progrip either one.

The only exective model I ever had was the one with a G-10 handle. And I'm not sure if the Executive was the first Spyder with a G-10 handle or if it was the Renegade & Blackhawk models that had that bragging right.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I thought the Hunter was closer in size to the Stretch that evolved from it. My cousin also has a similar knife, though larger (I haven't seen it as he doesn't carry it normally...he likes the smaller version), and it could be the Hunter, but I can't say for sure because I haven't seen it.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
M80

Post by M80 »

Looks much bigger than my executive might be a hunter
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

M80 wrote:Looks much bigger than my executive might be a hunter
Yeah, in retrospect I should have had something in there for scale. I would guess it was somewhere around Delica size. Maybe a bit smaller...can't really say.
rycen

Post by rycen »

It is definitely an executive model. The spur has a different blade shape, clip and different style of stamping on the blade. Also PE spurs were not available until much later as a sprint run.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

rycen wrote:It is definitely an executive model. The spur has a different blade shape, clip and different style of stamping on the blade. Also PE spurs were not available until much later as a sprint run.
True, that's what I get for posting from memory without double checking blade shapes.
JD Spydo wrote:
The Deacon wrote:I suspect that it's plain stainless on both sides and, if that's true, then it's definitely an Executive. However, if there's a Kraton inlay on the opposite side, it's a Spur.
Most Spurs I've ever seen were all combo edges. Both of the ones i had were. It looks more like an Executive or maybe even an early model "hunter" which you don't see much of anymore. NO I don't think it's a Spur or Progrip either one.

The only exective model I ever had was the one with a G-10 handle. And I'm not sure if the Executive was the first Spyder with a G-10 handle or if it was the Renegade & Blackhawk models that had that bragging right.
Agreed, it's definitely not a Spur. As Rycen noted, the blade shape is a bit different and, as both of you noted the early Spurs were all PS, only the VG-10 Sprint Run ones with the grey Kraton inlays were PE. It's definitely an Executive, the blade is way too short for a Hunter.

OTOH, can't say I've ever heard of a G-10 Executive. I've only ever seen them in stainless steel, or stainless steel with a Santa Fe Stoneworks overlay. Assuming the old "Across the Years" release date timelines are correct, the G-10 versions of the C15 and C19 Terzuolas were the Spyderco's first G-10 offerings in 1994, followed by the Renegade and G-10 version of the Blackhawk in 1995.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

It sure is an Executive, I've made some comp pics with the Spur. The handle shape is the same but the blade is different.