Janisong not available in US?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Janisong not available in US?

Post by twinboysdad »

did I read this wrong in the catalog? Sorry for the alarm if I made a SNAFU, but it looks like it says not in the US
Liquid Cobra

Re: Janisong not available in US?

Post by Liquid Cobra »

It says repeatedly in the catalog that it is not. Total bummer since it looks like such an amazing design.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

I do not think that is a misprint pretty clear that it is for outside the USA only. If it makes you feel better, it probably won't be available in Canada either.
Current favorite: Manix 2 with carbon fiber scales and cru-ware.
Invective

Post by Invective »

http://dogbrothers.com/phpBB2/index.php ... 238.0;wap2" target="_blank

Here's a decent explanation of what I assume is the reason why they are taking these precautions.
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

I am very confused, americans can buy balisongs, but can't mail them?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

adancingmonkey wrote:I do not think that is a misprint pretty clear that it is for outside the USA only. If it makes you feel better, it probably won't be available in Canada either.
Why would this make anyone feel better lol? It definitely won't be available in Canada. Balisongs are a prohibited weapon here.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Why would this make anyone feel better lol? It definitely won't be available in Canada. Balisongs are a prohibited weapon here.
Yeah I know, I'm over in Winterpeg.
Trevitrace

Post by Trevitrace »

If they were to be made here would that have any effect on the legality? Not sure if I'm understanding it correctly, but is it because they imported them what made it illegal? Thanks to those in the know.

Adam
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

Benchmade sells US-made balisongs all the time. Make it here in the States and it's a non-issue. In fact, Texas just lifted the ban on switchblades so Spyderco would probably have a good market for a balisong-type knife you can play with without risking your digits quite so much.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

What a dispicable, assanine witch hunt to harass Spyderco and other companies over a knife-mechanism. God bless all the people at Spyderco, and keep on supporting them. Buy those excellent knives =) I'm glad some states have lifted these bans.

The Janisong looks like it can combine the power of a balisong with the abilities of a fixed blade. I like the lines on it and its structure.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

The Janisong would be at the top of my list if it were legal for me to own one :(

@liquid_cobra
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Ok, but I wonder if a domestic-ized version of this might be made possible at some point? True, the very mechanism of this design would need to be changed in order to satisfy US legal requirements. But still--this design appears to be far too lovely not to have a place in the US market. FWIW, this kind of reminds me of back in the day when the .380 ACP Glock model was available only overseas. Eventually, the .380 made its way to the US market. Only took about five years to accomplish. :(
sal

Post by sal »

It's a totally new design/concept in knives. Mike's design is so unique that we have a patent on it. It has not been technically classified as a butterfly, but we're guessing that out "leaders" in their "wisdom" will think of it as a butterfly knife or a gravity knife and we'd rather avoid the hassles.

We expect we will also be making them in Golden when capacity gets sorted.

sal
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

sal wrote:

sal
This is very good news indeed!
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I hope to one day get to at least mess with one of these - thought it looked like a pretty cool design when seeing what Mr. Janich has presented about it. I'm in SC where these also would be legal to own and carry, but the main issue :spyder: ran into IIRC was that the federal laws on switchblades are a potential issue. I would be happy if the design were cleared as okay, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Maybe one day.
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

Thanks for clearing that up with us, Mr. Glesser. I had a pretty hard time imagining such a great design simply falling through the cracks forever due to import shenanigans.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Sal,

Glad to hear that these may one day be made state side. I'm not much of a flipper, but man I just love the way that Janisong looks.

It's ridiculous that your company faces such scrutiny, when there is no shortage of crappy balisongs at every gun show I go to, all made and imported from China.
J32A2

Post by J32A2 »

sal wrote:

sal
I can sleep again!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Sounds like Mike really hit a Grand Slam with this one. Congratz Mr.Janich
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I'm hoping some of the French dealers will get this in stock so I can get one :D

If this international policy works out then I hope we will see a return of the smallfly/spyderfly as well..
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon