Lost luggage scare....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
farnorthdan

Lost luggage scare....

Post by farnorthdan »

Well the airlines lost my luggage on my return trip from CO yesterday, of course I had a few new spydies from the SFO tucked away in my bag and needless to say I was little freaked out. They finally delivered my bag while at work today and I was relieved to find my stash in tact.

And of course what good is a new thread with out pictures, got to hand pick this PM2 from what they had, liked this digi pattern the best with perfect centering and buttery smooth action. Over paid for it but what the heck, its not every day I get to visit the mother ship... :cool:

762cal

Re: Lost luggage scare....

Post by 762cal »

glad you got happy ending for that... :)

I always worried when travelling by air, I lost a folder once on my checked baggage (it was my cheap one though) and it really makes me nervous anytime I travel. on my last flight, I put 9 of my knives on my bag, put it on checked baggage, and when I retrieve it at the destination airport, my bag was opened when it appeared on the luggage pool... and I freaked out. luckily the knives are safe and turns out it was open due to zipper malfunction..
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Thanks for the response 762cal, this is exactly what I feared when my bag didn't show on the carousel, I wish there was a better way to travel with our beloved knives.

Hope everyone else here has a wonderful day and thanks for the support..............................................
762cal

Post by 762cal »

as far as i know, (at least in Indonesia) we could always use "security item" service when we checked in on the airport. I used this service once, to carry a Spyderco Delica and it costs about 8-10 USD and I'll receive the packet in the lost and found section on my destination airport. this is the safest method I think... since anyone carries toolboxes or guns must use this service. I used this service because I don't carry any luggage and forgot to leave the knife at home..
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Good idea 762cal, I've heard that its safer now to check a gun since TSA/911 because now a chain of custody is enforced so its basically like registered mail where the checked item is transferred by signature from one agent to another so if it comes up missing they know who handled it last. Back in the early 90's I had a shotgun stolen by the airlines when traveling.
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

Lucky you. I've had suitcases stolen... Oops, I mistyped "lost" before, never given back.
"We have more metal parts fail than plastic parts. Modern plastics are tough. 'Feeling cheap' may be a false perception and one might need more education. We rarely get a FRN knife back with handle problems and we have millions of them out in daily use. " --Sal Glesser
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Great photograph, farnorthdan. Using that calendar cover as a backdrop was a great idea. And by the way, that photo on the cover was my fave in the calendar contest. (gbella's "universal knife" composition would have made a great cover shot as well, but it was a bit subtle for the average Joe.) The Marine camo pattern makes me nostalgic for the good old days before all the Arab wars.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

You're much better off paying to ship your knives home.

I would never trust the TSA. There are too many stories out there.
M80

Post by M80 »

Lost my Super Leaf today :(
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

My condolences M80. That's awful.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

M80 wrote:Lost my Super Leaf today :(
That sux!! DARN!!! John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)