Official 2014 Discontinued List

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

BEAD1 Bead Square
BEAD2 Bead Round
BY10S2 Robin 2 Stainless Steel Serrated
BY10SBK2 Robin 2 Black FRN Serrated
C07GS3 Police 3 Black G-10 SpyderEdge
C10KIT Endura Parts Kit
C118SBK Save Salt Black FRN SpyderEdge
C11FPBLM Delica NLEOMF Blue FRN PlainEdge
C11KIT Delica Parts Kit
C123WDP Sage 4 Ironwood/Titainium PlainEdge
C144GP Caly 3.5 Black G-10 PlainEdge
C147CFP Schempp Navaja Carbon Fiber PlainEdge
C151GTIP Schempp Tuff Black G-10/Titianium PlainEdge
C153GP Des Horn Black G-10 PlainEdge
C162SBK Lil’ Matriarch 2 Black FRN SpyderEdge
C41PBK Native Black FRN PlainEdge
C41PPN Native Pink FRN PlainEdge
C41PSBBK Native Black FRN Black Blade CombinationEdge
C41PSBK Native Black FRN CombinationEdge
C41PSTN/C41PSTN2 Native Tan FRN CombinationEdge
C75P3 Kiwi 3 Stainless Steel PlainEdge
C88PBK Salt 1 Black FRN PlainEdge
C88SBK Salt 1 Black FRN SpyderEdge
C90PBK Stretch Black FRN PlainEdge
FB02PBB Moran Black Blade PlainEdge
FB25PSBBK Warrior Black FRN Black Blade CombinationEdge
FB25PSBK Warrior Black FRN Combination Edge
USBBK Bug USB 2G Black
USBOP Wristband USB OpFocus 2G
USBPK Bug USB 2G Pink
USBRD Bug USB 2G Red
USBYL Bug USB 2G Yellow
YUS104 BaliYo Blue & Orange Made in U.S.A.
YUS105 BaliYo Orange & Red Made in U.S.A.
YUS106 BaliYo Pink & White Made in U.S.A
There is nothing more important than this one day.
jmh58

Re: Official 2014 Discontinued List

Post by jmh58 »

I gotta find some gold QUICK!! I see 3 that are on my "to get" list!! :( Tuff, Caly 3.5 G10, Lil Matriarch!! John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I am absolutely stupefied that the Caly 3.5 is on this list!! Only the CF ZDP-189 version will still be available? Others on this list I can (mostly) understand, but the G10 Caly 3.5, wow...
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

TazKristi wrote:Official 2014 Discontinued List

C07GS3 Police 3 Black G-10 SpyderEdge :eek:
C10KIT Endura Parts Kit :confused:
C11KIT Delica Parts Kit :confused:
C144GP Caly 3.5 Black G-10 PlainEdge :eek:
C162SBK Lil’ Matriarch 2 Black FRN SpyderEdge :mad:
C41PBK Native Black FRN PlainEdge
C41PPN Native Pink FRN PlainEdge
C41PSBBK Native Black FRN Black Blade CombinationEdge
C41PSBK Native Black FRN CombinationEdge
C41PSTN/C41PSTN2 Native Tan FRN CombinationEdge
These all represent the end of a chapter in Spydie History. Although sad, it likely signifies a coming new chapter.
I will be sure to pick up a few of these before they become extinct. The Caly being candidate #1. Boss handed me a wad of cash today for a "bonus" because we had a good month. Guess it is a sign!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

With the parts kits for the Delica and Endura 4 disappearing, maybe that means that the 5th generation is in the works... :p
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Four from Taichung bit the dust: Des Horn, Navaja, Sage4 and Tuff.

Really surprised on Sage4 and Tuff.

Could there be another Sage4 in the works like Spyderco changed the scales on the Sage3 from Blue G-10 to CF/G-10 Laminate last year...
Last edited by RamZar on Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Wait what? The Caly 3.5 is being discontinued? That is pure madness! Maybe they are clearing the way for a production super blue model? There must be a good reason for this! Right?..

If anyone needs me I'll be over here waiting for someone to explain to me the reasoning behind this insanity.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Invective

Post by Invective »

Dang I'm gonna have to pick up a Tuff or two.

As if I wasn't poor enough already
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Wait what? The Caly 3.5 is being discontinued? That is pure madness! Maybe they are clearing the way for a production super blue model? There must be a good reason for this! Right?..

If anyone needs me I'll be over here waiting for someone to explain to me the reasoning behind this insanity.
I'm at a loss for words on the Caly 3.5 .....what gives?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The stretch? Does that mean the stretch2 will be here soon? The zdp stretch isn't on the list.

I need a tuff. Maybe I can score one at a discontinued price. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Invective

Post by Invective »

bearfacedkiller wrote: I need a tuff. Maybe I can score one at a discontinued price. :)
$210 at CS right now!

I broke and ordered one already haha
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

Wow, the G10 Caly 3.5 is a surprise but then again I suppose so was the G10 Caly 3 in it's time. I really like my Caly 3s and 3.5s but don't really have a preference for the steel or handle so I am neutral on this.

Salt 1, but not the yellow ones? Presumably there is a Salt 2 in the works and it will be a pity if there isn't.

Native 1 is sad but understandable given that the N5 lightweight is out ... I predict that much like the Endura and Delica 3s, the newer version will be accepted by the average knife buyer very quickly and only those of us who have an emotional attachment with the N1 will notice it's absence. Decided to carry a serrated N1 today because of the disco.

I'm fortunate this year - nothing on the disco list requires me to rush out and get something before it is gone.
timlara

Post by timlara »

Dang...now I guess I should've picked up a Caly3.5 at the seconds sale after all. I assume this means the ZDP version is outselling the VG-10..? I guess that sort of makes since as it seems like the Caly series mostly appeals to "knife afis" who "get it" as to why it's a more refined design than a cheaper alternative. If you're going to spend the extra money for the nice design of a Caly, you might as well go for the upgraded steel, too...at least that's usually my thought process.

Other than that, the list isn't too surprising to me. As BFK mentioned, I assume the Stretch is due to the upcoming Stretch2 and the ethnic designs like the Navaja never stick around too long since they're more for the collector audience (I snagged mine right away as I always do with the Schempp designs I like, just in case). I would consider the Sage series to be sort of collector-geared as well, though I guess the 1 and 2 are sort of perennial favorites that I could see sticking around for a long time. It wouldn't be practical to have like 9 different Sages currently in production, so I'm all for a short shelf life if that means we get to see a bunch of cool new locks and handles sooner than later.

And the good news is there's still plenty of time to snag most of these before they disappear thanks to this heads up!
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Here are links to the Discontinued List threads of the prior 4 years:

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

RamZar wrote:Could there be another Sage4 in the works like Spyderco changed the scales on the Sage3 from Blue G-10 to CF/G-10 Laminate last year...
That's my thought as well.
bearfacedkiller wrote:The stretch? Does that mean the stretch2 will be here soon? The zdp stretch isn't on the list.
Possibly. Could also signal a move to other FRN colors for the VG-10 version.
MacLaren wrote:I'm at a loss for words on the Caly 3.5 .....what gives?
Or perhaps just a different color G-10 or a move to a different steel.

Or they all could simply be disappearing completely due to low sales volume. The general public generally gravitates to the mediocre, so "our" darlings are not likely to be appreciated by the average knife buyer.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I need a Sage 4 so bad... Hate to see them go, but I gotta pick one up whilst they're still around!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:I am absolutely stupefied that the Caly 3.5 is on this list!! Only the CF ZDP-189 version will still be available? Others on this list I can (mostly) understand, but the G10 Caly 3.5, wow...
Same as when the original Caly 3 was discontinued. What I have to wonder is, does the availability of sprint runs ultimately effect the sale of the standard models up to the point that they're discontinued? It's an interesting double edge sword.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Good point. I could see the stretch go to the full color spectrum that the delica and endura have. I would have kind of expected the dragonfly to adopt the full spectrum over the stretch but, who knows?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
mattman

Post by mattman »

I'm also astounded that the Caly 3.5 is going away... I'll have to get some backups...

I'll also be moving the Tuff to the top of the priority list.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:I am absolutely stupefied that the Caly 3.5 is on this list!! Others on this list I can (mostly) understand, but the G10 Caly 3.5, wow...
I am stunned and disappointed. I have two of them and certainly will buy one more. In the last years I gave two of them to frieneds. Both of them love it and carry daily. IMHO Caly3.5 g10/VG10 is the one of the best EDC knives ever, especially consider the price. I cannot imagine that CF/ZDP189 has a better sale.