Handled Tatanka...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
paladin

Re: Handled Tatanka...

Post by paladin »

Marc, I am a lock snob, and that's the main reason I bought mine...

It is incredibly smooth engaging & disengaging...surprisingly low amount of pressure required to depress the lock to disengage...not dangerous low pressure, but firm/smooth pressure...

The closest I can compare the lock "feel" is to the forum Native 5's only scaled up, very similar feel IMHO...

No play...whatsoever...in any direction...like the proverbial "bank vault..." :cool:

Haven't done any hardcore testing, and I won't...I just enjoy opening / closing mine while being careful with the large blade...

I think it is an ingenious solution to how you can have a long lockbar PLUS ergonomic lock placement PLUS smooth & easy lock depression in one package... :D

LOVE my TATANKA...thanks Sal & Family & Seki Crew! :spyder: :D
rodloos

Re: Power Lock questions for owners and Sal

Post by rodloos »

wrdwrght wrote:Tatanka owners/handlers: How does the Power Lock compare to other Spyderco lockbacks? Easily disengaged? Any up-and-down play?
I carried mine this weekend visiting my Dad for his 86th birthday, used it to help with firewood prep for the fireplace. Cutting shavings/slicing the wood, not trying to baton with it. Even though it has different internals, to me it had the same feel as a quality back lock, no noticeable blade play, and easily disengaged. Nothing "sticky" like some frame locks. In general, I'm real happy with the knife so far, just understand that it is a *big* knife :).
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Thanks, Paladin and Rodloos.

I did root for the Tatanka back when it was the Bison in spite of no specs whatsoever (quiet, Cliff... :p ). After its release, I grew hesitant but have just now put one in the KW cart.

I, too, like promising new locks, and I do like the overall look of the thing. And what a slab of VG-10! I can see using it the garden and on dog walks, and fondling it (along with my fixed blades, which, except for my ESEE6, it outsizes) while watching the tube and imagining the next wilderness adventure. No more Military-envy for me.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Wow!

One would indeed need deep pockets.

Against all reason, I want one.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I handled the tatanka at the SFO yesterday. Only one word to describe it, BIG.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Cold Steel has a long history of over sized folders, anyone handle one and can do a comparison?
Old Pilot

Post by Old Pilot »

I frequently compare the Tatanka to the Cold Steel Spartan because they are roughly the same weight and they both have 4 mm thick blades. The Tatanka is more comfortable to carry because the handle is thinner than the Spartan. The Spartan is a little easier to open because the new power lock is perhaps too powerful on the Tatanka. It holds the knife closed a little too well. I had to place a zip tie through the Spidey hole so that I can "wave" it open by snagging it on my waistband or pocket.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Old Pilot,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Old Pilot

Post by Old Pilot »

Thank you, it's good to be here.
bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

I'd love one! Either this or s southfork next
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Got my Tatanka today and I'm blown away.

The thing is H-U-G-E! A "large" Manix2, when open, extends beyond the Tatanka's handle by just an inch and a half... The Tatanka's blade is longer than a closed Manix2... Did I say the thing is H-U-G-E?

I'll never EDC it, but I can see real uses for it in my garden, and in the galley of the Moby1 XTR expedition trailer I'll be driving to Utah to claim next Spring. And I won't hesitate to throw it in my daypack to give me options, even self-defense ones, on a hike.

As a folder, the Tatanka seems almost cartoonish, what with all the fixed blades that are out there, but it is nothing of the sort. I think its lines and grinds are elegant, and, given weight concerns, its balance in the hand is perfect.

Interesting that Sal would design such a knife at this point in his career. Thank you, Sal.

paladin

Post by paladin »

wrdwrght wrote:Got my Tatanka today and I'm blown away.

The thing is H-U-G-E! A "large" Manix2, when open, extends beyond the Tatanka's handle by just an inch and a half... The Tatanka's blade is longer than a closed Manix2... Did I say the thing is H-U-G-E?

I'll never EDC it, but I can see real uses for it in my garden, and in the galley of the Moby1 XTR expedition trailer I'll be driving to Utah to claim next Spring. And I won't hesitate to throw it in my daypack to give me options, even self-defense ones, on a hike.

As a folder, the Tatanka seems almost cartoonish, what with all the fixed blades that are out there, but it is nothing of the sort. I think its lines and grinds are elegant, and, given weight concerns, its balance in the hand is perfect.

Interesting that Sal would design such a knife at this point in his career. Thank you, Sal.
So how ya like that PowerLock? Smooth, right? :D :spyder: Figured you'd love it...Enjoy in Good Health!!! :)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

paladin wrote:So how ya like that PowerLock? Smooth, right? :D :spyder: Figured you'd love it...Enjoy in Good Health!!! :)
Thanks, Paladin. Smooth, indeed. Glad I didn't miss this boat.

FYI, I was surprised to learn on BladeForums that, while "Bison" and "Tatanka" have the same meaning, the Bison and Tatanka do not have the same design. From a reliable source:

"The original Bison design is about 10 years old. It's a 5" blade folder with a Compression Lock and multi hold postions. It's a bit far out and we made a variety of prototypes by never went into production. I designed the Tatanka to be more of a traditional large folder. Strong tip blade with an ergonomic handle that fits the blade. The lock is the departure (other than size). With the Szabo, and the Farid as well as the Tatanka, we're watching reaction.

We have had requests for large folders, but at times, requests don't necessarily mean the market is large enough to supprt production.

sal"

jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

The knife is huge. I could comfortably get both hands on the handle, just like I would a two-handed sword. Bit to big for my taste, but the thing feels nearly indestructible.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

I believe that I was another one, who pushed for this folder, approximately 4 or so years back. I was floored when this model was made available. Sal you pretty much produced exactly what was specified in that thread....and then some, with the new lock! I will grab 2 of these myself. I also believe that this folder is big, but far from haughty. 5 inch pushed the size envelope to its limit. This is a fix blade alternative, when a fixed is not an option. I like this model for what it is. Kudos Sal.
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

I just bought myself a Tatanka. I love it, except for one thing: Every time I try to release the lock, there is somewhat significant resistance that I have to overcome. Not the force of the spring, but resistance in addition to the spring that gives way suddenly if I keep pressing further. There's an obvious "click" as it releases. As best I can figure (just a guess), it's caused by the rotating part of the lock disengaging from the blade tang. Not sure. Anyway, is this normal?

I found that if I release the lock, then leave the blade fully open and simply remove my thumb from the lock bar, the blade remains locked, but the aforementioned resistance (and click sound) is totally absent the next time I depress the lock bar.

Edit: Meh, whatever. It doesn't seem right to me. I have been getting one defective Spyderco after another lately. Two Native5s, several Southards, and potentially (seemingly) now this. I bought a second Tatanka and I'll see how that one is. Either way, one of them is going back.
"We have more metal parts fail than plastic parts. Modern plastics are tough. 'Feeling cheap' may be a false perception and one might need more education. We rarely get a FRN knife back with handle problems and we have millions of them out in daily use. " --Sal Glesser
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

I had to snag a Tatanka. I have zero use for this knife but i figured it would look really nice sitting next to my XL Espada. I was right, it looks very nice. Big manley knives :D

JD
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

Just received Tatanka #2. This one is tight! The pivot is so tight I can barely open it with my thumb. That might get better with wear and/or loosening of the pivot, but what's worse is that the lock release is also super, crazy hard to push. Not friction, but spring resistance. I can barely manage to push it down with my thumb. It seems likely that batch has a different spring in it (perhaps the same type of leaf spring used in GMC 3500 pickup trucks).

And yes, the lock does have the same "notchy" feel as my Tatanka #1. At first I didn't think so, but then I noticed that it depends on how much force is used when opening the blade.

The date code on #1 is LN (Dec 2014); on #2 it's BO (Feb 2015).

I think Tatanka #2 is going back from whence it came. Tatanka #1, I dub thee "Notchy".

I've had people stare when I opened and used a Stretch. Can't wait to see the looks I get when I open this thing... :)
"We have more metal parts fail than plastic parts. Modern plastics are tough. 'Feeling cheap' may be a false perception and one might need more education. We rarely get a FRN knife back with handle problems and we have millions of them out in daily use. " --Sal Glesser