VG-10 Spyderfly numbers?

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
agent clark

VG-10 Spyderfly numbers?

Post by agent clark »

I just read recently that only the first Spyderflys had VG-10 blades, anybody know how many we're made?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Only Spyderco can say for sure, but as I recall, the switch to 440C came fairly soon after the SpyderFly first hit the streets. I've see both CC#d and un-numbered specimens in VG-10, so I'm guessing that more than 200, but not more than 1200, were made in VG-10.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

The VG-10 was made in Japan where we often hear about large minimum production runs of 1200. The 440C was made in Taiwan.

I've owned both. Bought each for the same price new. When I sold them the 440C was selling for more but that may have been based on the desirability of the rainbow anodizing rather than the rarity.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Forgot to mention, this was the model of which a shipment was confiscated by the feds because while legal to buy, sell and use, they took the position that this type of knife was illegal to import. Not sure which version (guessing 440C) or how the confiscation affected overall numbers availible
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Two points. Just to clarify, the 440C ones were available both anodized and plain. Also, while I'm fairly certain the VG-10 SpyderFly and SzaboFly blades were made in Japan, I'm not sure where the 440C SpyderFly blades were made or whether it was SpyderFly blades or SzaboFly blades that were the ones the Feds initially seized. I suspect it may have been the SzaboFlys, since only a few CC#d ones made it into the wild, but that's just a hunch.
Paul
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

I think you're right, Paul, that it was the SzaboFly parts seizure that started the gov't SNAFU but which led to the Spyderfly manufacturing being impacted too. I'm pretty certain the 440C blades were made in USA. Otherwise, Spyderco would have been in the same predicament of importing parts from a foreign country.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
Spyder-fan

Post by Spyder-fan »

Has Sal ruled out every doing another full size balisong? I love the Smallfly and wish they would do a sprint run of a full size of some sort.
adson3492

Re: VG-10 Spyderfly numbers?

Post by adson3492 »

Has Spyderco only made two auto's with plain edge blades? The Citadel and Embassy.
You can easily check out our best quality Brain Dumps.com exam dumps prepare you well for the real fit.edu exam. You can also get success in real exam of C4090-451 dumps .
The Deacon

Re: VG-10 Spyderfly numbers?

Post by The Deacon »

adson3492 wrote:Has Spyderco only made two auto's with plain edge blades? The Citadel and Embassy.
Three, if you count the Bi-Fold
Paul