3 Spydies that you really wanted to like but didn't in the end

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HarleyXJGuy

Re: 3 Spydies that you really wanted to like but didn't in t

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

I only own two Spydercos, well three if you count the Para 2 i have on the way.

I am super happy with both of my Spydies. Now I do own a Spyderco that I think is a Endura or maybe Delica from many years ago. it has stainless scales and I never really fell in love with it like I have the Millie and Dragonfly. It worked great, strong lockup and sharp combo edge blade. Just something about it.

Strange thing is it was my only knife for many years. Look forward to messing with it again when I get home. Would like to give it a honest second chance. Well that and figure out what the heck model it really is.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
762cal

Post by 762cal »

1. Mule Team. only have one in Elmax, really want to score another (I was seeing cobalt special and PSF27) but keep holding back because the ergo, while it is great in my hand, I don't dig leaf blades for my outdoor usages. I like leaf for the kitchen, but I didn't like full tang for kitchen knives (Southfork is an exception btw). For EDC needs... I much prefer the light Moran fixed blade.

2. Endura. I like Delica more.

3. Spyderco's value line (ambitious, persistence, tenacious, resilience) really think it would be cool to abuse/blades for lent. But always end up selling em.
303_enfield

Post by 303_enfield »

Only have one:
B01P the Spyderfly. Heck, I just pulled it out of the safe again. I tried to give it away to my brother an he didn't like it either. I just can't get use to the handles not coming together. I'll trade it off one day for a Southard or horse hay.
Always looking for the right one :)
sdedalus83

Post by sdedalus83 »

1. Meadowlark 2 - The choil radius is far too small, significantly smaller than on the Robin or Dragonfly.

2. Titanium UKPK - This is the only one I've returned. The opening hole is too small, the action was stiff and gritty, and I realized very quickly that titanium handles are not for me.

3. PM2 - This is the only one I've sold, too fat and clunky for my purposes. It's been replaced by a Junior and an FRN Native 5. If I get another 3.5" Spydie, it'll be a Caly or Stretch.
I carry a serrated Robin2 at work, a Cara Cara Rescue 2 in the glove box, and a ZDP Dragonfly or Junior everywhere else. My PM2 sits on a shelf with a small assortment of Kershaws.
Waiting patiently for the Native 5 lightweight and the Lil' Temperance 2.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

1. Massad Ayoob - Fit and finish were fantastic, it looks great, and the price was right...but it just doesn't seem to fit my hand very well.

2. Squeak - Picked one up for my mother, so I played with it when it arrived just to see how I liked it. Another one that didn't fit my hand very well.

3. Adventura - I love the blade, the handle shape, the design, and the build quality was excellent. But as my first stainless steel handle, I quickly discovered that I don't like it as a handle material. If they made one in G-10, carbon fiber, or titanium, I'd certainly buy one. As it stands, I still have my SS one but don't use it and probably won't until I get around to making some custom handles for it.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

First, the PM2 -- When I first got interested in Spydies, the PM2 was at the very peak of popularity and I jumped on the bandwagon and bought a couple of exclusives. I really loved the looks, but didn't take to the feel and ergos much at first, and this was quite a surprise. I was using tip-up left hand carry. Later I got a right handed millie and got used to using it left handed with its clip in its obligatory tip down right hand carry position. I was surprised to see that it was very comfortable to use with the clip away from my palm like that. Still later I got an old PM1, which has the one position clip like the millie, and found it very comfortable to use too, even though the hand grip area was smaller than the PM2 and the point of the butt struck me in the middle of the little finger. Soooo, I tried moving the clip on one of my PM2's to that position, away from my palm, and found the knife much more comfortable to use. I also like PM2's better if the G-10 happened go get beveled, as it is on some of them. I have a much better attitude about PM2's now and may try tip up left hand carry again at some point and see if I've gone full circle.

Second, the FRN Stretch -- I know this is blasphemy because so many people say this knife has the best ergonomics, but, with my hand in the behind the choil grip, my fingers feel jammed up and my little finger slides off the back end, and for some reason, for me, the choil feels like a long reach for my index finger. I'm eagerly awaiting the new model to see if I can be a Stretch lover after all.

Third, the Natives -- More blasphemy. Of the "1", 5, and light weight 5, the "1" somehow fits my hand the best, allowing my little finger not to slide off like it does with the 5's, causing an uncomfortable 3-finger grip. I also like the more contoured grip of the original Native better than the more squared off grip of the N5's.

The main thing I've learned about this is to stay open minded. My favorites tend to rotate a lot over the months, which is one reason why I've never yet sold any of my Spydies... I know I'd be likely to regret it later :D
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

1. Calypso. I love my Caly 3.5 but the long, thin Calypso just felt goofy to me so I sold it.
2. Wow, hard to believe that out of 20+ spyderco knives the only one I didn't really like was the Calypso. Hard to believe actually. In the past i would have included the dragonfly as I had a hard time with the short radius for thumb opening, but since I have gotten over that it is one of my favorites. (Since I went surfing today and it was raining outside I have the awesome combo of the atlantic salt serrated with wharn mod and dragonfly salt plain edge on me today).

***Oh, I did forget one. I never connected with the forum native. Just felt to clunky for the length and i much prefer the spear grind on the previous frn version (or even better the CTS-XHP version).
swigert

Post by swigert »

Manix xl - this is a funny one. It's the spyderco that had the best Ergonomics for me but it was just to big in the pocket. Handle stuck out way too much. Too wide in the pocket for me. I'll take a military over it even though the ergos are amazing.

Endura - never clicked for me. Great hard working knife but I never fell in love. I'm actually working on piecing together a custom Delica at the moment. Wilkins scales, Casey lynch deep carry clip. I think I will love it but the endurance wasn't my cup of tea.

Stretch - I LOVE a good 50/50 choil but the stretch just doesn't fit me well. I will be all over the new stretch, especially in g10. I'm not a huge frn guy for most knives but I do really like frn in the s110v manix knife and my pacific salt.
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Chokwe. It's the knife that brought me back to Spyderco (and knives) after over 20 years. The sticky lock that it developed also caused me to sell it (with full disclosure).
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Southard. I just couldn't make it sit comfortably in my hand. I ended up selling it and getting a Sage 1 and ZT 0350, both of which I really like. I'm happy to say that's the only Spyderco I've ever held that I didn't like :)