Help buying a camera, please!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Nate

Help buying a camera, please!

Post by Nate »

Hi all,

Sometimes I think I might lose to sour milk in a popularity contest, but I hope some of the good folks here will be willing to help me out.

My wife has been after a good (mid?) level digital camera for a couple of years. I want to make it happen for her this Christmas. I know NOTHING about photography and have felt lucky to snap a few knife pics on my phone that are just a hair above awful.

She sent me one suggestion, a Sony NEX-3NL/B. I just don't know if this is good/bad/or okay, and really, neither does she. Her "good" camera right now is a Canon Rebel that is probably 20 yrs old (film).

My budget is in the $300-500 range. Looking for better ideas or feedback on the Sony. I am willing to provide more information, but I'm really at a loss to even know what questions to ask or what info you might need to make an informed reccomendation.

Any help you can provide to this camera clueless knife knut would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nate
Screwdriver

Re: Help buying a camera, please!

Post by Screwdriver »

I know it is out of your range, but I feel that the Canon EOS Rebel T5i is a great camera, and a great base to build on. I am not a fan of cameras like the NEX. They take great images, but if the system is abandoned by Sony, you are stuck with what you have. The Canon and the Nikon mount are long running systems and you can use a ton of accessories and imho are more future proof. In fact the lens on your wife's 20 year old Rebel will work on the T5i.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

I don't know if size is an issue but, for us, it was. Used to run a full sized 35 DSLR and it was never with us. I went with a Nikon P7000 and couldn't be happier. It's a compact format but it's got full controls, if you want them and full auto if you don't. Good lens. Decent sensor.

Good luck.

Ken
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Are you specifically looking for a DSLR/interchangeable lens camera, or a compact camera with a fixed lens?

The Sony seems to be a nice camera, but if she will want to have more lenses, you should consider the additional cost those lenses will incur. A Canon DSLR, on the other hand, costs more up front, but would allow her to use the Canon EF lenses she already owns.

If you're also considering fixed lens compact cameras, Digital Photography Review put out a top-10 list in April that has several cameras in your price range: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/648968 ... ra-roundup" target="_blank

They also did a preview of the Sony NEX-3N camera, so doesn't go as in-depth as their full on reviews, but it may give you a better idea of what to expect from the camera: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/474805 ... on-preview" target="_blank

Popular Photography also ran a full review and, despite a few drawbacks, they seemed to think it was a great camera for the price: http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2013/05/ca ... pha-nex-3n" target="_blank
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

I like Nikon and Canon, if it was to be a Sony, then the Alpha 5000b with a 16-50 zoom: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... gital.html" target="_blank

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-r ... eview.html" target="_blank

Reviews here: http://www.steves-digicams.com/" target="_blank

Buy here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com" target="_blank
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I can't give too much input but do share Ken's perspective on portability.

My wife had a Canon Rebel DSLR through art school, the equivalent to the "5". She got it on the basis that it would take different lenses...but as an art student and a broke husband we just keep the stock one :o. In turn it took great photos but the zoom was marginal and of course it was a horse to carry.

When she went to replace it we asked about other powerful compact cameras and she went with a Powershot G15, about 1-2 years ago. I'm sure there are better versions out there but it's extremely easy to carry. The zoom and low-light settings are more flexible. It's certainly less tunable but it's much better than an iPhone.

If you are wanting something to carry with ease I would prob look into one of the smaller recommendations from a photo-pro :).
Nate

Post by Nate »

Thanks very much for the replies!

I will need some time to go through the links and reviews, but this is exactly what I was looking for.

Size is a consideration, but I figure she'll always have her phone if she needs something really compact. I will try to get more input from her about lenses and other ad-ons as well.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I saw dpreview.com mentioned in some of the replies.

I always recommend that people go to the forums on dpreview.com, find the forum for the equipment that they are interested in, and read what owners have to say about the equipment. You can find out how it works and what problems there might be that reviewers don't find.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Jabba359 wrote:Are you specifically looking for a DSLR/interchangeable lens camera, or a compact camera with a fixed lens?
Pinetreebbs wrote:I like Nikon and Canon, if it was to be a Sony, then the Alpha 5000b with a 16-50 zoom
I confirmed that she is looking for a compact ILC like the NEX, apparently she did more research on this than I thought and the Sony was more than just a suggestion from one of her friends.

I suspect that a fixed lens would be fine, but I guess it's good to have the ILC option in case she does start to really get into it.

The step up to the Alpha 5000 looks like good advice. Most of the reviews are over my head, but it seems like a no-brainer to go with the current model considering the cost difference is relatively small (had no idea that the NEX designation was already old news).

I will probably go with the Sony Alpha unless there is something from Canon, Nikon, etc... that provides significantly more value in this class and price range.
:spyder:
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

dpreview is superb.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I've got a Samsung nx200, and while it would be over budget it is definitely worth it. 20 megapixels, interchangeable lenses, compact. If the budget is not stretchable Samsung has others that are quite good too. I also own Canon, and Nikon. Can't go wrong with them provided you choose a camera that suits her needs/want list.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hey Apophis, I used to be way into photography and owned everything from rebels to canon 5ds with L lenses but I lost my zeal for it some years ago. This year I decided I needed something cheap and compact that would give me great image quality. I found a new canon "m" for sale with the 22mm prime lens for $250. Absolute smoking deal imo. Canon Rebel image quality in a small cheap package. I'm very happy with it. It was also available at that price with the 18-55 zoom.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Sounds like your wife knows a bit about photography. The Sony she asked for seems to get good reviews, so I'd say get her what she asked for.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

The Deacon wrote:Sounds like your wife knows a bit about photography. The Sony she asked for seems to get good reviews, so I'd say get her what she asked for.
You're sure you're not secretly married, Paul? ;)

Ken
David from NC

Post by David from NC »

The new Canon SX60 is one I'm eyeing. I have a 5DMkII full-frame DSLR but I love birds and birdwatching and the stock lens I have stinks for this. For the price of an aftermarket lens I could buy the SX60. I don't always need the 5DMkII but I hate call phone cameras or small "point and shoots" (which I already have) so the SX60 would give me a smaller camera when I didn't need the bigger one and related camera bag.

In good light the forerunner to the SX60 (the SX50) has made some awesome images of birds that almost rival some of the images from equipment costing into the thousands of dollars. If this sounds like anything appealing research the SX50 images as it's been around several years and well mentioned on camera forums.
David

Blue Titanium/Jigged Bone: Endura Damascus, Delica Damascus (finally!)
Foliage G10: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
OD Green G10: Worker Sprint
Black FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG, Dragonfly FFG, Matriarch 2, Lil Matriarch, Centofante 3, Salt 1 PE
Grey FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
Purple FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
Green FRN: Delica FFG
Denim Blue FRN: Lil Matriarch PE (Thanks McL!)
Nate

Post by Nate »

Surfingringo wrote:Hey Apophis,... I found a new canon "m" for sale with the 22mm prime lens for $250. Absolute smoking deal imo. Canon Rebel image quality in a small cheap package. I'm very happy with it. It was also available at that price with the 18-55 zoom.
Is this the same as the Canon EOS M? I see it for around $250, but it's body only, no lens. With the lens it looks very comparable to the Sony NEX in terms of price and features. (At least from my "I know nothing about cameras" perspective.) I would be very interested in this if my wife could use her old "Rebel" lenses with it. I'm guessing not, but there could be a chance?

Otherwise, I'm thinking along the lines that Paul suggested. She has been talking about a new camera for a long time and this is the first time she's actually given me something to work with. I probably shouldn't overthink it ;)

I am probably going to hold off until after Thanksgiving to buy, hoping that maybe the Sony or something very similar will go on sale. I appreciate all the input!
Nate

Post by Nate »

spyderg wrote:I've got a Samsung nx200, and while it would be over budget it is definitely worth it. 20 megapixels, interchangeable lenses, compact. If the budget is not stretchable Samsung has others that are quite good too. I also own Canon, and Nikon. Can't go wrong with them provided you choose a camera that suits her needs/want list.
I actually a big fan of Samsung. Several appliances I've purchased and every cell phone I've ever had have been from them. Never had any complaints. However, if I bought a Samsung camera I'd probably be in the doghouse right away because she'd think I was shopping for myself, lol.
Nate

Post by Nate »

David from NC wrote:The new Canon SX60 is one I'm eyeing. I have a 5DMkII full-frame DSLR but I love birds and birdwatching and the stock lens I have stinks for this. For the price of an aftermarket lens I could buy the SX60. I don't always need the 5DMkII but I hate call phone cameras or small "point and shoots" (which I already have) so the SX60 would give me a smaller camera when I didn't need the bigger one and related camera bag.

In good light the forerunner to the SX60 (the SX50) has made some awesome images of birds that almost rival some of the images from equipment costing into the thousands of dollars. If this sounds like anything appealing research the SX50 images as it's been around several years and well mentioned on camera forums.
I really like the price on the SX50, actually. I think I have to stick to the more compact models though.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Apophis wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:Hey Apophis,... I found a new canon "m" for sale with the 22mm prime lens for $250. Absolute smoking deal imo. Canon Rebel image quality in a small cheap package. I'm very happy with it. It was also available at that price with the 18-55 zoom.
Is this the same as the Canon EOS M? I see it for around $250, but it's body only, no lens. With the lens it looks very comparable to the Sony NEX in terms of price and features. (At least from my "I know nothing about cameras" perspective.) I would be very interested in this if my wife could use her old "Rebel" lenses with it. I'm guessing not, but there could be a chance?

Otherwise, I'm thinking along the lines that Paul suggested. She has been talking about a new camera for a long time and this is the first time she's actually given me something to work with. I probably shouldn't overthink it ;)

I am probably going to hold off until after Thanksgiving to buy, hoping that maybe the Sony or something very similar will go on sale. I appreciate all the input!
There is an adaptor that will take the old eos lenses, but you know what? I'm with Paul on this. That Sony is a very nice camera and very user friendly. Yeah...don't overthink this one. :)
Donut

Post by Donut »

You might want to see what kind of deals places offer near black friday.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!