Legit Civilian?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dw_duck

Legit Civilian?

Post by dw_duck »

Sorry, please move to sub-forum if appropriate, couldn't find a new topic button there.

Wasn't aware how many copies were out there before purchasing my Spyderco Civilian. It did come with a padded pouch with a Sypderco logo on the front and sticker with barcode on the back, but I would like to know for sure if anyone can help. Also, is it normal, on this model, for there to be a gap showing full serrations when folded?

Thanks.
Attachments
folded.JPG
grip.jpg
logo.JPG
clip.jpg
blade.jpg
IG-88

Re: Legit Civilian?

Post by IG-88 »

Difficult to tell, my G-10 and CF version are a bit older and have a smaller gap

Also the G-10 looks like it has a finer texture then yours.

The lanyard tube on you picture looks like it does sit flush with the scales. Did I see that correct?

Was there a little notice card attached to the knife?
Last edited by IG-88 on Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
dw_duck

Post by dw_duck »

The lanyard tube is a touch proud on one side and an equal distance recessed on the other.
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

dw_duck wrote:The lanyard tube is a touch proud on one side and an equal distance recessed on the other.
Mine are both flush with the scales. Was ther a notice card stating this in not a utility knife?
dw_duck

Post by dw_duck »

Folded pamphlet in the case and a tag hanging from the lanyard hole. The retailer is local, but I'm not 100% that it was a new knife on the shelf. There's some wear on the scales so there is a possibility of a switch. Or I'm paranoid.
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Maybe this helps. Its a comparison with the fake. It seems there is very little difference with the original and only the G-10 can tell it appart. I also had a look at the fakes they are selling and even those don't have a gap that big.

Like I said very hard to tell they do make almost perfect copies...
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

I recently saw a counterfeit Civilian at a local knife show. It came in a Spyderco box without a pouch. At closer inspection, the texture of the G-10 was rough compared to my Civilian. The screws were different and there were 2 liners without the Boye detent.
The knife and price appeared to be a good deal upon the first inspection.
Caveat emptor.
Mickey
P.S. At the same show, I noticed a counterfeit Gunting, and several Cold Steel fakes, right down to the markings on the boxes.