What came first the Endura or the Delica?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bornagainprimative

What came first the Endura or the Delica?

Post by bornagainprimative »

So I am not a huge collector mostly user of knives. Right now I EDC a blackhawk crucible ii folder which Has served me we'll for the last two years of extremely hard use. I do have a hard time keeping it sharp and it's a little heavy for what I'd like for EDC now.

I work in an electronics warehouse and cut a huge amount of card board. I have been spyderco fan for a long time I just never got around to buying one.

Now I want something new and I am having a hard time picking just one and which steel to go with(superblue).

Btw did Sal design the delica or endura? That would definitely make me want one of them even more.

Thanks
APS

Post by APS »

They were both introduced in 1990 but I think the Endura was the parent and Delica the child design.
Adam
Donut

Post by Donut »

Judging by the model number of the Endura being C10 and Delica being C11, I believe Endura was designed or designated first. I believe they were both designed by Sal.

I agree with APS that they were probably released at the same time.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Good point Brian and an interesting question... :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

We'll I am going to order myself an Endura 4 in brown.

Can't wait to finally have a spyderco
Freman

Post by Freman »

If you want to keep cutting cardboard I suggest grabbing the ZDP-189 Delica. You'll want diamonds for sharpening but I can't see it going dull for a very very long time.
David from NC

Post by David from NC »

bornagainprimative wrote:We'll I am going to order myself an Endura 4 in brown.

Can't wait to finally have a spyderco
The UPS Commemorative Edition, I see... :D
David

Blue Titanium/Jigged Bone: Endura Damascus, Delica Damascus (finally!)
Foliage G10: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
OD Green G10: Worker Sprint
Black FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG, Dragonfly FFG, Matriarch 2, Lil Matriarch, Centofante 3, Salt 1 PE
Grey FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
Purple FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
Green FRN: Delica FFG
Denim Blue FRN: Lil Matriarch PE (Thanks McL!)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

David from NC wrote:The UPS Commemorative Edition, I see... :D
Ha ha ha! :D
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
markg

Post by markg »

bornagainprimative wrote:
Btw did Sal design the delica or endura? That would definitely make me want one of them even more.

Thanks
You do know the metal handled Clip-It line (Worker, Mariner, Co-Pilot, Police, etc.) came out before the Endura and Delica (if that matters).

I had to have one of the first few Enduras that came out, I got it in 1990 after I saw the ad in "Fighting Knives Magazine" and purchased it at Cutlery World at the mall... Ah good times.

Am I showing my age? ;)
glbpro

Re: What came first the Endura or the Delica?

Post by glbpro »

Does anyone know if the Endura was derived from the Police model? They seem very similar but I know that for Sal every knife is treated as a new design.

Also, were the Endura and Delica lightweights from the beginning, or did they begin in stainless steel or G10?
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

Duplicate post deleted.
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

glbpro wrote:Does anyone know if the Endura was derived from the Police model? They seem very similar but I know that for Sal every knife is treated as a new design.

Also, were the Endura and Delica lightweights from the beginning, or did they begin in stainless steel or G10?
Sal answers about half way down.

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... 1&p=838730
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

aquaman67 wrote:Sal answers about half way down.

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... 1&p=838730
Thanks for the link, very informative. However this does not answer my first question as to whether the Endura design was derived from the police model. This information is not on the Spyderwiki page either.

Shall await further replies :)
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Define "derived from". The Police Model came before the Endura, so everything learned from it influenced everything that came after. The same can be said of the C01 Worker. The Police has never been offered in FRN, the Endura was introduced in FRN.
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

yablanowitz wrote:Define "derived from". The Police Model came before the Endura, so everything learned from it influenced everything that came after.
Good question, I should have been more precise. What I mean to ask is do they exhibit a parent/child design relationship. So for example, the Delica is basically a compact Endura, and the Persistence is a compact Tenacious. Could the Endura be considered a more economical or lighter evolution of the police?
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I would say not really. There are as many differences as there are similarities between the Police and the Endura, especially when you go back to the originals. They were designed by the same person for somewhat similar purposes, but it wasn't a case of "Let's take the Police and change it to make it a little shorter, lighter and cheaper." It was more "We're going to design a new knife. There are a lot of places where the Police is over the legal limit, so this one will have a blade under 4". The swedge on the tip of the Police and Worker has sometimes been misconstrued to be a double edge, so we'll leave that off. With no swedge to cover, we can change the shape of the handle. But the real kicker here is we are going to mold the handle from Zytel. The set up cost is going to be a lot higher, but if it works we can offer it at a lower price point, which should appeal to a wider market."
Knutty

Re:

Post by Knutty »

Freman wrote:If you want to keep cutting cardboard I suggest grabbing the ZDP-189 Delica. You'll want diamonds for sharpening but I can't see it going dull for a very very long time.
Just make sure that cardboard doesn't have staples in it!
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

yablanowitz wrote:I would say not really. There are as many differences as there are similarities between the Police and the Endura, especially when you go back to the originals. They were designed by the same person for somewhat similar purposes, but it wasn't a case of "Let's take the Police and change it to make it a little shorter, lighter and cheaper." It was more "We're going to design a new knife. There are a lot of places where the Police is over the legal limit, so this one will have a blade under 4". The swedge on the tip of the Police and Worker has sometimes been misconstrued to be a double edge, so we'll leave that off. With no swedge to cover, we can change the shape of the handle. But the real kicker here is we are going to mold the handle from Zytel. The set up cost is going to be a lot higher, but if it works we can offer it at a lower price point, which should appeal to a wider market."
That there is a great answer. Respect to Yablanowitz.
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

yablanowitz wrote:I would say not really. There are as many differences as there are similarities between the Police and the Endura, especially when you go back to the originals. They were designed by the same person for somewhat similar purposes, but it wasn't a case of "Let's take the Police and change it to make it a little shorter, lighter and cheaper." It was more "We're going to design a new knife. There are a lot of places where the Police is over the legal limit, so this one will have a blade under 4". The swedge on the tip of the Police and Worker has sometimes been misconstrued to be a double edge, so we'll leave that off. With no swedge to cover, we can change the shape of the handle. But the real kicker here is we are going to mold the handle from Zytel. The set up cost is going to be a lot higher, but if it works we can offer it at a lower price point, which should appeal to a wider market."
Makes sense to me! Thanks for the edge-ucation :)