Why so much more than the techno?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dgebler

Why so much more than the techno?

Post by dgebler »

Let me start this thread out by saying I love my slysz bowie. I just got mine and really like the blade, ergo's, the whole package and I do feel the knife is overall worth the asking price. That said, I am having a hard time figuring out why this is almost twice the price of the techno. I feel like the bowie is a fair price and am happy spyderco has brought us another great slysz collab, but I feel like I got a real steal with the techno. That great F+F and fat slab of XHP for well under $200 street price...man what an awesome value. The backspacer on the techno feels a little more refined and certainly more unique. The fit and finish is just a notch better IMO, the lockup is a little earlier and has a more solid ker-clunk (to steal from a previous thread). Just a bad-a%* knife and one of the best values in the industry (IMO again).

I was just admiring the two knives together and they are a nice combo, but I am not sure exactly why the bowie costs so much more. Did spyderco realize the techno was just too good for the price, or have materials gone up significantly or is it just demand? Given the radius handles add cost (but the techno does have the great edge champher which I love as well) and there is a little more titanium needed but the steel weight is probably pretty similar.

Just a question I was looking for some opinions on. Again, I love my bowie and think it makes for a great combo with the techno. Just playing with it today made me realize how special the techno really is, especially considering the price.
SpyderNut

Re: Why so much more than the techno?

Post by SpyderNut »

There was a lengthy conversation regarding cost differences between the Bowie and K2 not too long ago. (Things became a little heated and I am not sure if there was ever a true resolution that made everyone happy). :( In the end, I believe that we basically learned that models are priced based on a number of factors, some of which are not available to the public. I know it seems strange why one model costs more than a seemingly similar model, but I have to trust that Spyderco isn't out to take advantage of the consumer. I hope this helps. :)
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Here's Michael's explanation for the price difference between the Slysz Bowie and Farid K2:
Michael Janich wrote:The answer to the question is the machining time that it takes to contour the titanium handle scales on the Slysz Bowie, and then the finishing time that it takes to remove the machining marks and achieve a uniform stonewashed finish. When you handle the two knives side by side, the difference in the ergonomics is immediately apparent. The contoured scales fill the hand and accurately reflect Slysz' custom version. The K2's scales are flat and also accurately reflect the designer's custom work. The Slysz, however, takes more machine time to create, and in manufacturing, time is literally money.

If the difference is worth it to you, we're glad and hope you enjoy your choice. If it's not and you choose the less expensive knife, we still hope you enjoy your choice. We're glad that we are able to provide you with such great options.

Stay safe,

Mike
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

Thanks guys... I figured the contoured scales were a part of it.
Again not trying to stir up trouble more of a realization of what an awesome value the techno is!
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

As far as I can see it is a lot of extra finishing work on the scales after contouring and also more work on the blade finish. Whether it is worth the extra cost for the end user is up to a potential buyer to decide. I'd probably prefer a slightly less refined level of finishing and a price close to the Techno, but I'm very happy with the Bowie and I've been carrying mine most of the time since it arrived.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

The high level of finish work is what separates the Bowie from other Ti framelocks out there. I will also have to disagree about the backspacer. The blue color of the techno's pops a bit better but the quality of the spacer on the Bowie is better IMHO.

High end custom knives are not all performance first as most typical Spyderco knives are. They have a uniqueness, high level of finish work, and other little custom touches that make them sought after. This knife was meant to emulate a fine custom product. Just like with the Rubicon, you can find similar knifes for less money. These knives have some touches that those knives will not.