When is the Military 2 coming out?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zhyla

Re: When is the Military 2 coming out?

Post by zhyla »

I'd also like to see more G10-only handles.
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

Don't know about G10 only handles on the Military... that to me makes sense on the LW Manix for example, but not the Military... Maybe titanium liners if weight is a concern, but i doubt extending the liners slightly for tip up/down option would add much weight either way. didn't seem to hurt the PM2 any. :-)

Like many folks have said above tho, this may be largely a case of "if it ain't broke"... tho I'm wondering when the small but important enhancements from the PM2 will make it into the Military... mostly all the small things mentioned above.
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee
hawkeye180

Post by hawkeye180 »

Give the military the ability to do tip up carry and it would be a lot higher on my list. I wouldn't mind a compression lock either.
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

hawkeye180 wrote:Give the military the ability to do tip up carry and it would be a lot higher on my list. I wouldn't mind a compression lock either.
So basically a 4.25" Paramilitary 2 then? YES!!! That sounds absolutely awesome.

Dan
Last edited by DansGunBlog on Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I agree. The Military should have a compression lock. I really like that lock, as long as it stays closed when it is supposed to be closed. I would, then, prefer it to the PM2.
DJ

Post by DJ »

I,d like to see a frame lock :cool:
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I just hope the pocket clip is positioned for tip up carry the way a clip should always be.
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

I believe the Military titanium already has a frame / integral lock.

The more I think about this, the more I come up with... 4.25" Paramilitary 2

Nothing wrong with the lock on the PM2, allows VERY smooth open while keeping flow through construction for easy clean. That's definitely in the "if it ain't broke" category.

Dan
Last edited by DansGunBlog on Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

I wish Sal would weigh in.

The last time I saw him post about Military 2 was definitely over a year ago, but Im not around often.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I it has been said that a four way clip is part of the plan. This means full liners. A larger lanyard hole has also been mentioned. I don't know anything else (or anything at all :)) but I have a hunch that the power lock may be an option. The last part is just my speculation. The fact that we have been told that the military1 is going to stay in production means that the changes will not be subtle. I favor tip down so the Military1 is near perfect. I would love a compression lock myself.

My disclaimer is that this has been discussed for a long time and it goes without saying that all things are subject to change until they actually happen.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I it has been said that a four way clip is part of the plan. This means full liners. A larger lanyard hole has also been mentioned. I don't know anything else (or anything at all :)) but I have a hunch that the power lock may be an option. The last part is just my speculation. The fact that we have been told that the military1 is going to stay in production means that the changes will not be subtle. I favor tip down so the Military1 is near perfect. I would love a compression lock myself...
Agreed completely, compression lock would be excellent. I think what we're all talking about is a bigger Paramilitary 2. :)

Not sure the power lock would work on the Military 2 if it limits the knife to closed back construction (only seen it in the Tatanka SHOT intro video). And one of the big benefits often cited about the Military and PM2 is the open flow through construction for easy cleaning. Both the PM2's compression lock and the Military's liner lock work great for that.
HotSoup wrote:I wish Sal would weigh in.The last time I saw him post about Military 2 was definitely over a year ago, but Im not around often.
I'll second that, tho I suspect Sal will weigh in if he has something to add / share. :)

Dan

Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

I'd probably enjoy it with a CBBL.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Is this some kind of April Fools joke or something?

Improving the Millie. Give me a few for free would be a improvement. Throw in a Manix 2 110V and a Domino with every Millie purchased, that would be a great improvement. Other then that I am fine with how it is . Well there is one thing I would not mind changed. The big spacer on the back pitched in the garbage and replaced with some regular stand offs.

Bottom line is it is not broke. Those of you who speak of a brother to the Millie and keeping the old one in production are fine I guess.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

RanCoWeAla wrote:I just hope the pocket clip is positioned for tip up carry the way a clip should always be.
Clips should always be tip down, the way they started. Tip up carry is dangerous and just plain wrong!

Gee, "My way is the only way" statements sound silly, don't they?
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

I like tip up. A lot.

Tip down is the only way to carry a large knife like the Millie, though. Tip up makes no sense unless you really enjoy awkward repositioning of your hands to start the opening process.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:My disclaimer is that this has been discussed for a long time and it goes without saying that all things are subject to change until they actually happen.
Ha Ha! and usually without prior notice :D ... I've been in a metaphysical mood ever since I read this :eek: I may ask for permission to quote it in my sig.

I'm pretty well fixed for Millies now and in no rush for a new model, but when it does come out, I could go for a cage ball or or open ball lock; but I'm very happy with the current Walker liner lock even though I use it left handed. I would be fine with another liner lock on the new knife as long as it's as ambidextrous as the current one.