Handled Tatanka...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Laethageal

Re: Handled Tatanka...

Post by Laethageal »

I think I speak for most of us on the forum if I say that we are grateful to have you listening to our constant whining and asking for new toys and then making our dreams come through.

Can I ask which kind of use you had in mind when the Tatanka was designed, other then pleasing us with a super-sized folder?
Did you need a big test platform for the power-lock?
If it's not polished, call it a saw, not an edge!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I just can't see what a folder this size can do that one of my fixed blades can't do better. I'll probably pass but I will surely pay attention to reports on the Power Lock. If it impresses and looks like no other knife will have it, I may rethink my reluctance.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

adancingmonkey wrote:How does one flick a lock back? I find that I can't overcome that spring tension. RIL, BBL and Frame Locks I have no problem flicking open.
Depends on four things. The length of the blade, the weight of the blade, and the combination of how strong the back spring is and the leverage it has. I have an FRN Native with a weak enough spring that, while not quite as "flickable" as some liner lock knives, can be opened reliably without touching the blade if I use a "bull whip crack" arm motion and an older SS Police that can be opened about 75-80% of the time with a strong wrist flick.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

The Deacon wrote:
adancingmonkey wrote:How does one flick a lock back? I find that I can't overcome that spring tension. RIL, BBL and Frame Locks I have no problem flicking open.
Depends on four things. The length of the blade, the weight of the blade, and the combination of how strong the back spring is and the leverage it has. I have an FRN Native with a weak enough spring that, while not quite as "flickable" as some liner lock knives, can be opened reliably without touching the blade if I use a "bull whip crack" arm motion and an older SS Police that can be opened about 75-80% of the time with a strong wrist flick.
Like Deacon says it depends on the size and weight of the blade etc. For example, my SB Stretch is easier to flick than my Delica. Personally I use a different technique when flicking my backlock's. Instead of putting the end of my thumb into the Spydie-hole, I put my thumb nail into the hole (your nail is then inside the hole instead of the meat of your thumb, if you get what I mean) and then push forward. It seems to generate more force and opens the blade nice and fast.

Here is a video with Michael Janich explaing the Tatanka at Shot Show

v8r

Post by v8r »

Jazz wrote:Someone please tell me what the point of a pocketknife that ridiculously big is.

1 Being able to spread your peanut butter in one pass on your piece of bread.
2 because I can legally carry it!
3 because it's cool.
4 it can be used to open a coconut if I am ever stranded on a deserted island with a folding knife;)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I can see it being a great defensive deterrent, but it's bloody huge. Anyway, the lock is very cool. I'm a back lock fan, and if it's even stronger, awesome. Can we have it on a smaller knife, please? And I do thank you for listening to all our ramblings, Sal, even though we can whine a lot. :)
- best wishes, Jazz.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

sal wrote:We were getting requests to make some large folders. We've added a few to the stable.

sal
Thank you for making Tatanka, Sal =)

I wonder, does Tantanka carry Tatanka?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatanka_%28wrestler%29" target="_blank
timlara

Post by timlara »

Handled the Tatanka today as well. I really liked the action and solid feel of the Power Lock, but good lord that knife is a beast! I don't even carry my Millie very often because it's just a little more knife than I need, so I can't ever see myself needing a blade as large as the Tatanka. They did do a good job of keeping the weight down, though. It is definitely lighter than it looks, and the fit and finish was excellent.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

And tatanka is translated "bull buffalo/bison" in Lakota, Sioux.

Would Tatanka make a good survival knife?
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Thumb flicking rather than middle finger flicking. And there's some technique to it...holding your hand farther up the blade than normal should allow a reliable thumb flick with no wrist movement whatsoever seems to work for me. I can thumb flick every one of my lockbacks except my Kiwi4 (I suspect the radius drawn by the thumb hole to be the culprit, though it's not broken in fully yet so that may change). The Ladybugs are a little hard due to their small size, but I can do it with all of them minus the Kiwi4. All 3 Ladybugs, my G10 Jester, all 4 Dragonflys, my FRN Native and Native 5 Forum Knife, OD Goddard, Ulize, CF Caly 3 and 3.5, Spyderhawk, Caly Jr., SB Stretch, Lava, Worker sprint, BattleStation, and Ti-Delica. RIL, liner locks, compression locks, bolt action locks, and BBL locks are definitely easier, but it doesn't make lockbacks un-flickable. It's all in the technique.
Last edited by 3rdGenRigger on Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am glad and amazed that spyderco makes what people ask for and cold steel has been selling huge knives for a while so there must be a market for them but I just have no idea what this knife would be good for.

Spyderco builds knive with a function over form philosophy most of the time and this knife just seems like a novelty piece. Not typical spyderco to me. I am curious to see some real world reviews to learn more.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I am glad and amazed that spyderco makes what people ask for and cold steel has been selling huge knives for a while so there must be a market for them but I just have no idea what this knife would be good for.

Spyderco builds knive with a function over form philosophy most of the time and this knife just seems like a novelty piece. Not typical spyderco to me. I am curious to see some real world reviews to learn more.
Seems to me like it could make a great food prep folder for those who use folders for such tasks. I'm going to wait until I hold one to pass judgement because I thought the Military was unnecessarily large until I held one.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
sal

Post by sal »

Part of the project was to test the lock in a model. We plan smaller models with the lock.

Part of the project was to greate a fixed blade size knife that would carry in a smaller package. I used a fixed blade design and modified it to be a folder.

Part of it was to create a very large strong folder with a strong tip and a tough steel that could perform many of the tasks of a fixed blade.

sal
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

Looks nice.

Don't think it needed the unsharpened swedge though, but I can see why they added it.

It would just look like an oversized Endura without it.

Glad they're releasing a baseline oversized folder.

Any ideas on pricepoint?
paladin

Post by paladin »

HotSoup wrote:Looks nice.

Glad they're releasing a baseline oversized folder.

Any ideas on pricepoint?
I'm with you...

Got mine at HKS for 189 shipped...he's sold out now
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

Just saw the same price at knifeworks.

For that price, I think I'd rather get a Szabo, just because the styling is cooler.

Seki made knives prices have been going up it seems, but Im sure Spyderco has their reasons for pricing. There are more competitive options out there for big folders though...
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

wrdwrght wrote:I just can't see what a folder this size can do that one of my fixed blades can't do better. I'll probably pass but I will surely pay attention to reports on the Power Lock. If it impresses and looks like no other knife will have it, I may rethink my reluctance.
Because carrying a 6 inch bladed fixed blade is much, much more cumbersome than carrying a 6 inch bladed folder.

I hate carrying even 3.5 inch fixed blades. Had to sell my Streat Beat, and Street Bowie.

Folders because you dont feel them and they are there when you need it.

If youre in an environment where you need to baton something, or do serious cutting, youre going to bring your dedicated fixed blade anyway.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

It really is a good looking knife, just too big for my taste. I found the vid with the innards demonstrated. Very cool. Around 8:45, I believe...
- best wishes, Jazz.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

HotSoup wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:I just can't see what a folder this size can do that one of my fixed blades can't do better. I'll probably pass but I will surely pay attention to reports on the Power Lock. If it impresses and looks like no other knife will have it, I may rethink my reluctance.
Because carrying a 6 inch bladed fixed blade is much, much more cumbersome than carrying a 6 inch bladed folder.

I hate carrying even 3.5 inch fixed blades. Had to sell my Streat Beat, and Street Bowie.

Folders because you dont feel them and they are there when you need it.

If youre in an environment where you need to baton something, or do serious cutting, youre going to bring your dedicated fixed blade anyway.
Uh, I was speaking for myself, not for you.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would love to know how it feels and balances in use. I understand the functionality of a large blade but a fixed blade with that size blade would definitely have a smaller handle than that. I am not saying that it wont be ergonomic or functional but I would have to handle and use one to see if is practical or not.

I hope we see some good real world reviews in the future.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?