defect in my native 5 frn?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kylems11

defect in my native 5 frn?

Post by Kylems11 »

I received 2 of these in the mail today and notice on one of them the lock button doesnt sit flush with the handle when the blade is deployed. The jimping on the handle also doesnt sit flush with the jimping on the blade. Seems like the lock bar piece is sort of tilted back a little. Is this somthing to be worried about? I dont want my lock failing on me or my blade to develope play if the lock isnt engaged correctly. Would appreciate an answer from sal if this is something that should be fixed or replaced. Not a huge deal to me i just dont want to takr the chance of having a defected lock and having it fail on me while using. Heres some pics.

rycen

Re: defect in my native 5 frn?

Post by rycen »

It's fairly normal
paladin

Post by paladin »

Is the other one good with fit & finish?

I'd send that one back to the dealer
MadRookie

Post by MadRookie »

I would not accept that - send it back.

:)
Rule #9

Post by Rule #9 »

Send it in.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

It's not all that uncommon on FRN midlocks. It's strictly a cosmetic issue and an indication of the difficulty of getting a lockbar to sit perfectly flush in both the open and closed positions. It does not make the knife less safe, and it has no impact on whether the knife has or will develop blade play. That said, if it bothers you, then you should return it to the dealer, assuming the accept returns.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

I don't think there's many people on this planet owning more spydies then the Deacon (at least from the collection picture I saw ;) ) so I think you can trust what he says. If you're still pondering if it's safe or nor, why not test the blade with a few medium strenght palm strike while wearing gloves and keeping finger away from the closing blade path? Or you could put the spine of the blade against a wooden table/a tree or anything soft enough not to damage the finish and push to see if it'll close on you. My Stretch never closed on me when I first tried to see if it could. I didn't applied more then 25-30lbs of pressure not to break anything: when does in real world application would the blade receive more then 30lbs of pressure on the spine anyway? My .02 cents.
If it's not polished, call it a saw, not an edge!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Sometimes, when a lock bar sits a little proud like that there is trash or compound on the back of the blade tang where it engages the lock bar, or on the underside of the lock bar claw where it engages the blade tang. Take a close look at that. If this turns out not to be the case, I would send it back. I have a lock back from another quality maker that had this problem and the lock failed.
On the other hand, it may simply need breaking in as the tolerances may be a bit tight. Try doing what Sal suggested elsewhere and giving the locked open blade spine a couple of light whacks on something like a board (light, not hard).
paladin

Post by paladin »

First off, IMHO, that's very unsightly...

Lockwise, Paul's assessment is very valid, however I wouldn't totally dismiss lock interface problems out of hand just based on photo evidence...

I suggested sending it in because, to me, the real clincher comes down to ergonomics...

That protruding 90 deg. corner of the lockbar near the jimping is in perfect location for a hotspot directly on the pad of your thumb...plus where the lockbar isn't flush further rearward could be another area of discomfort...that spine/lockbar/handle is engineered to be one consistent integral smooth lever...

When it comes to an extended task like breaking down a bunch of cardboard-- whew...it's enough to raise a blister just thinking about it... :eek:

I know Spyderco can deliver a better tool than that... take your other Native in your other thread for instance-- it seems perfect :) :spyder:
Kylems11

Post by Kylems11 »

Yea I think I will send it in. Will try contacting gp knives first to do an exchange but if that fails will have to give Spyderco a call. Thanks
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yep, seen it and don't like it myself either, which is just one more reason I only carry a select few backlocks anymore.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Kylems11 wrote: Image
I never saw this on any of my lock backs. Agree with paladin - this is potential hot spot. I would send it back without hesitation.
Donut

Post by Donut »

You might want to carry it for a while since lockbacks are known for settling in. Have you tried pressing on the spine of the blade to see if the lock bar moves?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

If you bought two, I would make that one your user one... I know for me, I feel less bad putting a knife to work if it is not perfectly perfect. :)
Bill S.

Post by Bill S. »

I would not accept it. But before I sent it back I'd check to see if there was a piece of something stuck in there, as Doc Dan explained.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Donut wrote:You might want to carry it for a while since lockbacks are known for settling in. Have you tried pressing on the spine of the blade to see if the lock bar moves?
This is one way to look at it. Another is that this lock in particular could have more life in it than others.
Kylems11

Post by Kylems11 »

I tried a few spine wacks and that didnt fix the problem. i called gp knives and they said to me that this is a production knife and not all production knives are made perfectly. That they are out of stock of native 5 and i would be better off calling aoyderco to get it replaced. So i was going to carry it for a few days and open and close it alot to see if maybe it would break in and go back to normal and if it doesnt then i will be contacting spyderco. I do find that with this problem it is not as comfortable in hand. When i place my thumb on the jimping i can feel where the jimping is not sitting flush and it does make it uncomfortable for my thumb.