Slysz Bowie!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gbelleh

Re: Slysz Bowie!

Post by gbelleh »

Here are a couple direct comparison pics of the Bowie and Sebenza I just posted in the other thread too. I'm finding the Bowie to be an excellent, well made and finished knife, and the street prices to be justified for all these knives.

:bug-red-white
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I just love the blade shape of the Slyz.
Really wish the K2 had its shape.....
The Slyz makes me think of the Vallotton as in you just have to have one to really see the value...
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

great pics, thanks
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Love the comparison pics gbelleh, uncanny the similarities, thanks for posting

MacLaren wrote:I just love the blade shape of the Slyz.
Really wish the K2 had its shape.....
The Slyz makes me think of the Vallotton as in you just have to have one to really see the value...
Very well said MacLaren, one really must handle the bowie to appreciate it, no regrets here what so ever shelling out the coin for this one.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

These days I have to decide betwen this one and a Sebenza 25.The decisive factor for my is "ergos".Price is not an issue.From the photos posted here it seems that bowie has a much wider handle.Having small-medium hands I am a little worried.But on the other hand the ffg cts-xhp blade of the bowie is a plus.For those who own both, if there are any, how do these two feel in hand ?
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

elena86 wrote:These days I have to decide betwen this one and a Sebenza 25.The decisive factor for my is "ergos".Price is not an issue.From the photos posted here it seems that bowie has a much wider handle.Having small-medium hands I am a little worried.But on the other hand the ffg cts-xhp blade of the bowie is a plus.For those who own both, if there are any, how do these two feel in hand ?
It's kinda hard for me to answer your question directly as my hands are on the large side what feels good to me may not feel so good to you. Are there any other knives that you find the ergos to be particularly pleasing in the hand? It might be easier to compare the Slysz and Sebenza to something you are already familiar with so we're working from the same point of reference.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

senorsquare wrote:
elena86 wrote:These days I have to decide betwen this one and a Sebenza 25.The decisive factor for my is "ergos".Price is not an issue.From the photos posted here it seems that bowie has a much wider handle.Having small-medium hands I am a little worried.But on the other hand the ffg cts-xhp blade of the bowie is a plus.For those who own both, if there are any, how do these two feel in hand ?
It's kinda hard for me to answer your question directly as my hands are on the large side what feels good to me may not feel so good to you. Are there any other knives that you find the ergos to be particularly pleasing in the hand? It might be easier to compare the Slysz and Sebenza to something you are already familiar with so we're working from the same point of reference.
I was about to say Caly3 but we are talking choil there.Maybe I should wait for the Peter Rassenti Nirvana colab....But then again, I hate those fancy,non-practical grinds.Give me a ffg or a high hollow grind and you make me happy.My dream knife has to be a mix breed: a handle a la Seb 25, a 3.1-3.3 blade a la Seb 21(but not in that crappy S35VN Chris Reve uses),a pivot bushing and a hole in the blade.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Sorry double post
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

My opinion is that the Sebenzas are sleak knives that you hardly notice in pocket but if you were to judge them as a fixed blade when open, they're not the most ergonomic. This is precisely why I sold my Seb 25. The Bowie here is awesome. My new edc (small seb 21 insingo as an alternative only when size is a factor).
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Cujobob wrote:My opinion is that the Sebenzas are sleak knives that you hardly notice in pocket but if you were to judge them as a fixed blade when open, they're not the most ergonomic. This is precisely why I sold my Seb 25. The Bowie here is awesome. My new edc (small seb 21 insingo as an alternative only when size is a factor).
You made me curious .What do you mean by "....if you were to judge them as a fixed blade when opened,they're not the most ergonomic "? An why Bowie is awesome here ? Maybe you help me decide....
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

And thankfully, there are no words gouged into the scales on the bowie.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

elena86 wrote:
Cujobob wrote:My opinion is that the Sebenzas are sleak knives that you hardly notice in pocket but if you were to judge them as a fixed blade when open, they're not the most ergonomic. This is precisely why I sold my Seb 25. The Bowie here is awesome. My new edc (small seb 21 insingo as an alternative only when size is a factor).
You made me curious .What do you mean by "....if you were to judge them as a fixed blade when opened,they're not the most ergonomic "? An why Bowie is awesome here ? Maybe you help me decide....
The Sebenzas are nice knives because the tolerances are extreme and allow the knives to take up very little pocket space. They also lock up really strongly with their late lockup that never seems to move. With that said, if you talk about them as users, I find several shortcomings. The thumb ramp on the Seb 25 wasn't comfortable for me, I'm sure part of that was the straight back to the knife's handle. On the Spyderco Slysz Bowie, the handle is gently curved and it feels very natural (to me). On the bottom of the Slysz Bowie handle there are parts that sort of frame your hand, but if you have really large hands, I could see that potentially being a nuisance. For my hands, this knife fits really well and I will EDC it.

The Seb 25 is a beautiful knife but I cut with it once and it didn't work for me ergonomically. It is smooth, has a great pocket clip, is built to last, and high quality, though.

You'll have to decide for yourself what sort of blade shape, steel, and handle shape you prefer.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Thanks cujobob.How does bowie feel in reverse grip ?
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

elena86 wrote:Thanks cujobob.How does bowie feel in reverse grip ?
Mine feels very nice in reverse grip.