One way to determine which knife is your favorite

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jackknifeh

One way to determine which knife is your favorite

Post by jackknifeh »

A few months ago we had a financial issue happen that required that I sell my GB and my Sage4. Since getting these two knives they both have held the "favorite knife" title. Now that we are past the financial tradgedy I just ordered the GB to replace the one I had. I didn't even think twice about which one to get. I may get the Sage4 later but which one to get first was a given. Didn't require any thought at all. It doesn't surprise me that I decided on the GB. What did surprise me a little was how easy a decision it was. I have to say one big factor was the M4 blade steel.

So, while it's not something I hope for anyone, the need to sell knives I love knowing I'd replace them later let me know which one I like more. This is different than deciding which knife to buy when considering two I had never owned. I already knew everything there was to know about both knives. I hope no one else gets to determine their favorite in this manner. OTOH, even the hard times didn't prompt me to sell the Chaparral ti (2). :) So maybe that one is my "real" favorite. :)

Anyway, there's a new GB on it's way. BTW, I was able to find one for $143.97 on ebay. I thought that was a very good price. Now someone will say "Hey, I saw one on Howe's (or somewhere) for $125 or something like that. :)

Jack
Strong-Dog

Re: One way to determine which knife is your favorite

Post by Strong-Dog »

I absolutely agree, selling something is the best way to determine how much you really like it. And BTW, if you go over to Bladeforums you can find NIB GBs for $120-130
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Yeah, no doubt about it.
I'm thinking my Vallotton would be there till the bitter end. I'd sell my 90v and 110v blades before I would it. I just really like that knife.
Invective

Post by Invective »

I recently went through some personal stuff and sold off 80% or so of my collection. Was actually a really nice exercise in realizing what I used my knives for. I sold off almost all my collabs, (left with just the Cento4 and Pink Lum Chinese) and most of my in-house but somehow held on to two Millies and three Natives. So I guess you could say those are my favorite platforms, and they definitely show the use well so I guess it's to be expected! Surprisingly only have three different steels between the five of them, and three of them are full SE! I hope you're proud JD this is your doing!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Strong-Dog wrote:I absolutely agree, selling something is the best way to determine how much you really like it. And BTW, if you go over to Bladeforums you can find NIB GBs for $120-130
Figures. Shoulda shopped more I guess. No matter. I'd have paid what CS sells them for and been happy. :) Still, coulda used the extra $20 for something else I'm sure. Just glad I have a new GB coming. I modded my other one a little. I enlarged the lock access and made it possible to put a wire clip on it. I may enlarge the lock access but that's it. I may make a set of scales some day but as many times as I thought about it on my first one I couldn't come up with anything I'd like more than the CF that the knife comes dressed in. :) I made a bunch of scales for the Sage 4 because the original wood cracked when I snagged my clip on something. I made a bunch of scales for my G-10 Manbug because while grey G-10 isn't ugly and the knife looks fine as is there are lots of options that are as good a scale material and have different looks. The silver bolster on a knife also adds beauty to about any scale material IMO. Maybe I should make scales for the GB with two materials on each side. One would act as a bolster and the other would be at the rear of the handle. There I go, thinking again. :) It's just that the GB is about as perfect as a knife can be. Just my opinion of course. :D

Jack

PS
I forgot. I also forced a patina on the blade as well as stonewashed it on my first GB. I think I'm just going to make sure the pivot stays clean and lubed for corrosion protection but I'll let the blade become what nature and what I use it for decides it should look like. Regarding patina that is. I did like the stonewashed look with the black CF.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I want to know when we'll see K390 and 10V and S90V Bradley folder. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's an interesting idea...what would you part with if you had to and what does that say about your feelings for that knife? Ironically, there are at least 2 that I won't part with for any (reasonable) price, and they're two models that I very rarely carry and honestly don't really have a lot of interest in carrying anymore (Caly 3 and Native LW). They're just sentimental knives that are kind of like timeline events in my "knife life" and I just can't see myself selling or parting with them under any reasonable circumstances.
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

I miss my GB now.....**** near perfect knife
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Got to be tough, sell a knife you love, a hard lesson. :(
I've sold a few, but never looked back. Even my Para 2. (still have my old Para 1)
mark jeneson

Post by mark jeneson »

There's a couple knives I refuse to sell, even in dire circumstances. Techno is one. And i'm pretty sure the Slysz Bowie is one, so far. If you won't, can't bring yourself to sell it, then you've found a real winner!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Some of my Holy Grail stuff that I will never let go of are my Hawkbills, C-60 Ayoob models, and 2 particular Military models with special steels. I also doubt if any of my Catcherman models will ever come up for sale or trade as well as my original TEMP 1 models (SE & PE).

I'm to the point to where I don't actually have one distinct favorite because I actually have about 8 Spyderco models that qualify as my favorite models which will never be up for sale or trade. Barring something extremely catastrophic of course.

My favorites are determined by actual usage for the most part. Which is why my Ayoob is one of my very favorite folders to carry/EDC. But I have a few others I rotate on a needed basis.

I also have sharpening equipment that I would never sell or trade either.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Been there, done that. Painful, to be sure. But, it does show us what is truly needful.