Spyderco/Farid K2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MacLaren

Re: Spyderco/Farid K2

Post by MacLaren »

Invective wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
chuckd wrote:Just got mine, and this thing really is a beast, yet it doesn't handle like one really. I have only done a few open/closings and I love it. It also fits in the pocket very comfortably and you don't notice it. The lock is a bit stiff, but like the Navaja it just sort of needs to be approached differently. I have yet to play around and find the sweet spot, but it is nothing I am going to complain about.

This thing is a tank, and a sleek and sexy one at that. Well done Farid!
Chuck, would you say it rides in the pocket closely to that of the Military due to its "thinness"? Thanx man
Not Chuck, but I have carried a Millie frequently and been carrying this since I got it, the K2 rides similar but it is bigger, both in length and in width/height so it takes up more space in pocket. You definitely won't be forgetting you're carrying it that's for sure.
He he....cool, so no ifs ands or buts, she's a beast. Awesome. Hopefully, mine will arrive in the a.m.
Ray Allen

Post by Ray Allen »

So, a question for those who have one. Can the blade be flipped fast like a Military, or does the blade size and ergos limit it to a slower thumb opening? Thanks, on my radar for sure.
Invective

Post by Invective »

Ray Allen wrote:So, a question for those who have one. Can the blade be flipped fast like a Military, or does the blade size and ergos limit it to a slower thumb opening? Thanks, on my radar for sure.
I can thumb-flick and middle-finger flick it as easily as my Millie. Definitely not as hard to open as the Szabo either, a little oil on the detent goes a long way on the K2
Ray Allen

Post by Ray Allen »

Invective wrote:
Ray Allen wrote:So, a question for those who have one. Can the blade be flipped fast like a Military, or does the blade size and ergos limit it to a slower thumb opening? Thanks, on my radar for sure.
I can thumb-flick and middle-finger flick it as easily as my Millie. Definitely not as hard to open as the Szabo either, a little oil on the detent goes a long way on the K2
That's what I was hoping to hear...thanks!
Cheers
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

One more comparison with the Farid K2, Southfork and K04 Kitchen knife.

nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

It seems this K2 is getting bigger and bigger every new pic I see! :eek: :)
WorkingEdge

Post by WorkingEdge »

After playing with it for the past couple of days, makes all my other folders seem tiny, including Manix XL, Tuff, and Military.
Regarding the stiff lock, hoping mine eases up a bit. Either that or I just need a more powerful thumb. Edges along the frame is also a little sharper than say a Techno.

Regardless, I really want to go home and start fondling it again.
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

MacLaren wrote:Chuck, would you say it rides in the pocket closely to that of the Military due to its "thinness"? Thanx man
I have not really carried it much, but my initial opinion is that it does carry similarly. It feels thinner in pocket, and I notice it less in that dimension. It is certainly wider, so you feel it a bit more there, especially compared to the military.

For the size of the knife, my opinion is that it carries much smaller than it is, but more pocket time will help come to a better conclusion.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

chuckd wrote:
MacLaren wrote:Chuck, would you say it rides in the pocket closely to that of the Military due to its "thinness"? Thanx man
I have not really carried it much, but my initial opinion is that it does carry similarly. It feels thinner in pocket, and I notice it less in that dimension. It is certainly wider, so you feel it a bit more there, especially compared to the military.

For the size of the knife, my opinion is that it carries much smaller than it is, but more pocket time will help come to a better conclusion.
Excellent.
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

I feel the same about how it carries. I was scared when I first saw it that maybe I made a bad choice since I would surely never get down to carry such a big knife. Since I had just spent twice the money compared to my next most expensive folder, I forced myself carrying it. As most stated, it's lightweight and how thin it is (considering the size of the knife) made it pretty much an easy carry. I was amazed not finding myself always trying to move the knife in my pocket to find a comfortable position. On the other hand, I don't think I'd carry this beast in knee height pocket and it's also pretty wide so it does use much pocket estate. Getting my hand in the pocket to get my keys is slightly annoying with the K2 already in.
I know for sure this won't become my daily carry due to size. Wifey is already slapping me on the back of the head every time I get my SB Stretch out in public thinking I'm gonna get arrested or will be speaken of as a madman/serial killer. But surely it'll find it's way in my pocket on most working days and whenever I work in the yard.

Congrats for the great design Farid.
+1
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Well, I should have mine within the hour.....
Pretty excited about this one.
I'll take some good pics and post a thread :)
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

The Mastiff wrote:part 1: http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... &start=360

The 10V steel at around rc 62 is , IMO, about as high a carbide fraction and wear resistance as you can go without getting into toughness levels being so reduced that it's not worth the improvement. That includes steels like 15V and S125V.

Joe/the mastiff
Is 10V @ 62 RC is as good a knife blade steel needs to be?

Reading through this thread I'm getting the idea that using steels like 15V, S125V, Maxamet, Rex121 etc. for blade steels are giving up so much toughness that it really makes no sense to use them.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I would think it would depend on what the blade is used for. If your main use is for breaking down cardboard, I can't imagine you need great toughness.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Philo Beddoe wrote:
The Mastiff wrote:part 1: http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... &start=360

The 10V steel at around rc 62 is , IMO, about as high a carbide fraction and wear resistance as you can go without getting into toughness levels being so reduced that it's not worth the improvement. That includes steels like 15V and S125V.

Joe/the mastiff
Is 10V @ 62 RC is as good a knife blade steel needs to be?

Reading through this thread I'm getting the idea that using steels like 15V, S125V, Maxamet, Rex121 etc. for blade steels are giving up so much toughness that it really makes no sense to use them.

Those aren't knife steels or even ment to be knife steels, especially Maxamet and Rex121....
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

Well it depends I guess. Look at how some sharpening setup ruined the maxamet edge will other did great in cliff thread about his mule project.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Laethageal wrote:Well it depends I guess. Look at how some sharpening setup ruined the maxamet edge will other did great in cliff thread about his mule project.

I am going by what the steel companies say.... ;)
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

True. I'd be lying if I said I thought Maxamet or Rex121 was intended for general knife use by non knife/steel nut.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Laethageal wrote:True. I'd be lying if I said I thought Maxamet or Rex121 was intended for general knife use by non knife/steel nut.

Spoke with a few people from the Steel companies the other day and those steels were part of those conversations.....

Not for knife blades was the general outcome..... With a lot of laughing.......

They are great for what they were developed for, but other than that or those types of uses the A11 class of steels is much better suited for knife blades.

Same as I was talking about before awhile back and for the same reasons as I brought up, all they did was mirror what I already knew.... But I asked anyway.....
Phil Wilson
Location: Northern California in the heart of the Gold Country

Post by Phil Wilson »

Hi all, I have been off on a trip and just returned last night to find the K2 in the box. Have to get caught up but before I do any testing but wanted to offer some first impressions and some tech information.
Yep its a big knife, and has to be to fold that much blade into the handle.
I did a hardness test and mine is 63.5 average over 6 dings.
Thickness behind the edge is about .012 and a tad less on the belly
The grind finish is incredible, about the best you can do with a grade with this much carbide for a belt or machine finish.
Nice balance and is built tough as has already been covered. Simple functional design. Kind of what I would do if I was to make a folder.
It came sharp and I did some initial cutting on rope and it has a nice bite. I am going to re-sharpen for my tests since I want to do some rough comparisons to some of my own A11 blades.
Yes I am somewhat biased, I like the steel grade and also impressed with Spyderco to be brave enough to make a production knife with this steel grade. Anyhow more later as I do some more work. Phil
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Thanks Phil! Great to see this thread turning around :D