Sage 3 smoothness

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
benben

Sage 3 smoothness

Post by benben »

Thinking about buying myself a CF Sage 3. Just cusious who owns a Sage 3 and an older Manix 2
hollow grind 154CM that would'nt mind doing a smoothness comparsion. My Manix is absolutely
the slickest out the 20 or so Spydercos I own. I also have a Sage 1 which I love, I just like the
lock on the Manix better. Plus the Sage 1 fits my hand perfect and thats what got me thinking
about the S3, perfect size with Manix style lock. Sounds perfect ! Thanks.
Evil D

Re: Sage 3 smoothness

Post by Evil D »

I've owned them all, and in my opinion the Sage series is just on another level when it comes to pivot smoothness. No idea why these over so many other knives, must be something with the design, I dunno. I've owned a Sage 1 and 3 and both were like silk. I also owned one of the original 154cm Manix 2's when they were first released, and while those knives are also very smooth (due to there being no detent ball dragging against the side of the blade) I don't think they were as smooth as the Sage. I've owned 4 Manix 2's since then and again, they're all very smooth but nothing like my Sage 3. It's smoother than my Southard's ball bearing pivot.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I can echo the smoothness of the Sage 3, I can open mine by putting my thumb on the spydie, NOT the hole. My Manix XL also happens to be ridiculously smooth, but the Sage 3 is indeed on another level. My D'allara is 3rd in line.
benben

Post by benben »

Thanks Evil, I think I just attributed the smoothness of the Manix to the weight of the blade? My Sage 1
is smooth as butter but they just feel different to me. Quess I'm going to have to get me a Sage 3.
My perfect knife (one of...) would be a 7" oal, 3" bladed Manix in 3V. I know most here love larger
knives (Manix XL) or even larger but 7" is just the perfect size for me. That why my interest in the
S3. Maybe my next two knife buys should be the Sage 3 and the S110V LW Manix. Best of both worlds.
Thanks again Evil.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Sage 3 to me feels like a Manix 2 and a Caly 3 had a one night stand and the Sage 3 was the result. The ergos remind me more of the Caly 3, but the lock is reminiscent of the CBBL but much easier to operate with just your thumb. It's also the quietest lock I've handled.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I can honestly say my Sage 3 is one of, if not THE smoothest Spydie I own. Doesn't get much carry time cause caly 3.5 has somewhat a lock on the pocket during the work week. If you're looking for smoothness that's a good choice. I haven't heard of anyone that has a rough opening Sage 3.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

My Sage 3 is definitely the smoothest of any of my 37 Spydies...it's almost magical how ridiculously smooth the blade moves.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I'm collecting the Spyderco Sage Series and have Sage 1 through 4... all are SMOOTH! :)
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
remnar

Post by remnar »

I own 50+ Spyders and can definitely say that the Sage 3 is the smoothest of the bunch. I don't own a Manix, but I think that's because I like the lock on the Sage 3 a little better.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I'd agree with the group here - the Sage 3 is one of the smoothest Spydies in my collection. The other contenders are the original Terzuola C15 and the Smurf Blue Para2.

TedP
computernut

Post by computernut »

I have both a Sage3 Blue G10 and the CF version and a Manix2 (DLC, hollow-grind) and they are all very smooth but in a different kind of way. With the Manix 2, between the weight of the blade and the pivot bushing, leads it to have next to no resistance with the ball bearing in the lock just adding a little. The Sage3's on the other hand have a more traditional pivot you can tighten to your liking and the rounded bolt adds a little more resistance to the opening/closing but it's very smooth. I prefer the Sage3's mechanism as the Manix2's is a little too loose for my preferences.

One issue I've never had with my Manix2 but happens occasionally with the Sage3, is some grit will get between the bolt and the tang and cause it to bind a little but blowing it out fixes it. I think the smaller surface area of the BBL pushes dirt aside while the wider bolt of the BAL tends to try to go over it.

My perfect knife is the BAL from the Sage3 but a Terzuola-style blade and a solid hour-glass clip.

Thanks.