Slysz Bowie!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Laethageal

Re: Slysz Bowie!

Post by Laethageal »

I can't figure out how some are interested in this knife. The first glance at it says nothing but "What an average knife.. I could get better ergo/design from walmart ones". Seriously, this is one of the first titanium folder I see from Spyderco that leaves me dead cold. Anyone explain me what I'm doing wrong that lead me into seeing it as a boring knife?
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

No explanation beyond your personal preference is needed. The K2 leaves me a bit cold (as of now anyway). Nothing is for everyone.
:bug-red-white
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

gbelleh wrote: Nothing is for everyone
^^ Ditto ^^ :D

You nailed it Bro.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

gbelleh wrote:Just got my Bowie in the mail and... I like it! I was worried about the clip, but it seems to go in and out of my pocket just as easily as any other. Fit and finish are great, the blade is sharp, and the action is smooth with good solid lockup. Ergos seem good for me, and I really like the blade shape.

I will say, the only thing I don't really like is the backspacer. It doesn't really seem to match the high-end feel of the rest of the knife. It just looks a bit dull and out of place, kind of like cloth seats in a BMW 7-Series. Especially when compared to the Techno's more special looking backspacer.

But overall, I have no major complaints, and this one is riding in my pocket right now.
Can't wait to see your review :)
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Laethageal wrote:I can't figure out how some are interested in this knife. The first glance at it says nothing but "What an average knife.. I could get better ergo/design from walmart ones". Seriously, this is one of the first titanium folder I see from Spyderco that leaves me dead cold. Anyone explain me what I'm doing wrong that lead me into seeing it as a boring knife?
It's pretty straightforward without any gimmicks, most people are buying one based on their love of Slysz' other work for Spyderco in the Techno. Also, the impressions from the show were outstanding. The K-2, on the other hand, does not have the same finishing touches but offers a rarer blade steel and is a bigger blade. That aside, the Bowie is a more refined product similar to what you'd find in the custom world. The K2 is, as well, but it serves a different role as more of a hard use knife.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Got my Bowie today. Some initial impressions:

It fits MY hand, really well. There's a hump at each end of the handle and it may not be for everyone.
Beautiful finish on the blade, just like the Techno.
The jimping is a little weak, but not totally useless.
Lots of lock bar tension and Sebenza-like late lockup.
The Spine of the blade has a flat portion before the rounding that's helpful.
The SpyderHole is a tiny bit difficult to get to, not much, but a little. It's nicely rounded and not sharp at all. Flicking will likely not be ideal.

If you like the Large Sebenza but find it lacking in Ergos just a bit, this knife is a great alternative. I didn't like the large Sebbie or Sebbie 25 but I do like this one ergonomically.
AJBest

Post by AJBest »

I received the Bowie a few days ago and have been breaking it in. It came a little tight but glassy smooth. Now the blade swings more free and even glassy smooth. This is a great knife and makes my Sage 2 feel like an inexpensive knife. To me, this feels like a high-end production knife. I feel like the best part of the knife is the blade and that there are no rough edges (the Spyder hole is rounded and smooth, unlike all of my other Spyderco knives with a 90 deg edge). It is a perfectly sized knife for my preference. Everything on the blade is perfectly finished. The fit and finish are superb. The ergos are good/great and maybe a slight negative is that there is only 1 - 2 standard holds (maybe 1 and 1/2). I wish the G10 backspacer was blue like the techno or purple (or even orange like the custom). It is functional though especially in the reverse grip. I do not have any problems with the clip pulling up my pants like others have noted - I did at first, but I guess the clip has worn in. It may even be seen as a positive since it cannot be easily shaken loose. It rides great in the pocket and feels like a great size (feels very solid but not overly heavy). Another slight negative is the lack of opening options (standard right hand and left hand middle finger flick). However since I have worn it in some, I can now easily flick open the knife with my middle finger of my right hand. I think this is easily overcome. Overall this is an awesome knife and I am glad I bought the knife. I would not hesitate. There are a lot of other options, but I think this is a very solid knife for the price. I will be hanging on to this one!
Studey

Post by Studey »

I got mine on Saturday. I've only spent two days with it, but I absolutely love it. It isn't perfect, but it's very, very close, closer than anything else I have or have handled. I took a ton of pictures and will be posting a full review/impressions/comparison.

AJBest

Post by AJBest »

Studey wrote:I got mine on Saturday. I've only spent two days with it, but I absolutely love it. It isn't perfect, but it's very, very close, closer than anything else I have or have handled. I took a ton of pictures and will be posting a full review/impressions/comparison.

Nice pic. I would agree with your assessment. What a great knife - great job Spyderco and Slysz!
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Laethageal wrote:I can't figure out how some are interested in this knife. The first glance at it says nothing but "What an average knife.. I could get better ergo/design from walmart ones". Seriously, this is one of the first titanium folder I see from Spyderco that leaves me dead cold. Anyone explain me what I'm doing wrong that lead me into seeing it as a boring knife?
I agree....this one doesn't do it for me either. I'd rather pick up any number of Kizer Ti knives over this one at about half the price. But having said that.....I don't own even one Kizer knife. The price isn't even a factor because even at $100 cheaper, I still wouldn't bite.

But then again.....for those who love it.....all the more power to you. Spyderco makes a wide selection of high quality production knives for anyone to find the one that they enjoy the most.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

Been carrying mine for a week and I love it. It's such a solid knife. Wish I could make the backspacer orange. Perfect size, though, and all class.
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

Its a nice knife.
But its not $300 usd nice, sorry.

Its obvious competitor is the Sebenza, and CRK has a legacy of over two decades of commitment to a very open and honest level of quality.

I dont know anything about the manufaturing process in Taiwan and what went into making this knife.

I feel like the MSRP is about $100 too high, and the fact that its more expensive than the K-2? Odd.

If I could pick one up for $250 shipped, I'd consider it.

So far its a miss for me.

PS - I do hate talking about pricing though. Spyderco can do what they like and price however they like. I generally shut up about it and buy what I think is a fair price. I just feel like this is kind of a money-grab for what youre getting.

With something like CRK -- you know exactly what youre getting because they show you every step of the way what goes into manchining parts for their knives.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

HotSoup wrote:I feel like the MSRP is about $100 too high, and the fact that its more expensive than the K-2? Odd.
Nope, it's been explained. I do think you'll be able to find it for $250 if you wait a while.
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

No, nothing really has been explained.

Okay so the handle required more machining on the Bowie than tha K-2? Fair enough, but thats not $100 extra in my eyes.

The Bowie has a rounded spine, nice touch, again approaching the style and market of the Sebenza, but I just dont feel like the price is justified for an overseas production knife, that is made to the same standards of every other Taiwan produced knife (very good, but not close to the precision of CRK)
Studey

Post by Studey »

HotSoup wrote:No, nothing really has been explained.

Okay so the handle required more machining on the Bowie than tha K-2? Fair enough, but thats not $100 extra in my eyes.

The Bowie has a rounded spine, nice touch, again approaching the style and market of the Sebenza, but I just dont feel like the price is justified for an overseas production knife, that is made to the same standards of every other Taiwan produced knife (very good, but not close to the precision of CRK)
Do you own, or have you handled, the Bowie?
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Studey wrote:Do you own, or have you handled, the Bowie?
Doesn't matter. If folks don't take Mr. Janich at his word and accept his explanation then I don't think any further arguments are going to change any minds.
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

^^ Ditto ^^

Well said senorsquare. :)

I've seen that movie before, and know exactly how it ends.

It's pointless trying to explain anything when there's some kind of 'Seb Worship' involved. :D
Last edited by LC Kid on Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Got mine today! Super sweet, I was only surpised by the late lock up, straight out of the box it was 60%, I'll try to mak a pic tomorrow but for now...

ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Studey wrote:
HotSoup wrote:No, nothing really has been explained.

Do you own, or have you handled, the Bowie?
If you like it and feel it's worth it to you....... then buy it. But I don't buy this extra machining costs when other Mfrs like Kizer has some pretty intricate machining of Ti knives with S35v blades for almost half the street cost.

Not that I want one of those either but aren't the scales just machine milled with a CNC machine? Feed the program in and the steel and the process is automatic with minimal manual guidance from a human? Ti is different from other metals, one example being low heat dispersal but it isn't like it isn't a well known metal to work with and all the issues in working with it having been identified and resolved.

Again, if you feel its worth it ........then to you it is. Nobody has to justify their purchases to anyone else (OK - maybe if you're not single you might :D )

I have way too many knives and flashlights and to others my purchases would be considered craziness. Meanwhile, although I enjoy a nice single malt once in a while I'd have to say that you are an idiot to spend $200-300 on a bottle - which is really nothing considering the where the prices can go. I think I spent something like $140 maybe on a "Distillers Select" bottle of Oban single malt and I felt a little stupid even doing that. It definitely is a nicer tasting and finishing Scotch than a $30 bottle of Grants or a $70-$80 bottle of Glenlivet (which is an entry level nice single malt) but is the extra "niceness" in drinking experience really worth double the price? The jump in the $30 bottle to the $70-90 bottles is "worth it" to me......but perhaps not to others (where it occupies a greater percentage of their disposable income) but the next step upwards, in my financial circumstances, just doesn't make sense. If I'm out at a bar and I'm going to get hosed on a nice single malt then I might even have a Bells or Grants stick some ice in it and a bit of water and enjoy it as best I can. But if had a corporate CEO job making a million plus/yr, then why not? After all - you can't take it with you - so you might as well enjoy the fruits of your labour while you are living on this Earth.

So if you can afford something and want it ......then get it, how you spend your money is nobody else's business.

I think the problem here though is that a lot of people like it and want it and resent the price they would have to pay to get it. So they don't buy it and then attack the pricing or the knife itself - which although it doesn't do it for me, I find nothing wrong with it and if I held it I may even like the way it feels in hand - (not so with the Southard). Then there are those that buy it and then it becomes this incredible knife in their minds because they have to justify the expense to themselves and not feel dumb that they spent as much as they did.

"Branding" and "brand loyalty" is the greatest increase in a consumer products purchase value - which is why companies protect their brands so fiercely. For myself, I like the Spydercos that I've purchased and appreciate that they produce knives with excellent design and quality workmanship and excellent quality control of their product. Perhaps the Slysz "brand" is adding a substantial cost to the knife itself as well. I don't know what the royalties are and it is none of my business. If I don't value something for the asking price then I just don't buy the product. I'm not going to whine that it is a bad knife or it isn't worth it or claim that it isn't a quality product. I'm sure that it is top notch in fit and finish like all the other Taichung models that I own.

My 2 cents on the issue........... ;)
Last edited by ManixFan on Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Anyone have in hand pictures? Especially if you have medium-large to large sized hands. Thanks.