Slysz Bowie!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
3rdGenRigger

Re: Slysz Bowie!

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Interesting...the pictures all look fine on my MacBook and PC, but my phone cuts the end off the photos.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

So to anyone that has it, is it safe to start calling it the Sebenza-killer?
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Looks fine on my Macbook in Safari.

The Sebenza is still a very different knife. It comes with a lot of warranty service options and is more of a luxury option (maximum F&F, easy to carry, etc.) than a performance product (not the best user in retention and ergos).
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I got mine this morning. I don't think I need to add any pics, that's been covered nicely already. A few points-

* the Slysz Bowie has one of the nicest distal taper full flat grinds I've seen on a Spyderco! It's very thin behind the edge, and that thickness remains consistent along the whole edge! I've used it some, and it's a dicing machine!

* Fit and finish are top notch, my hats off to the Taichung facility. Is it a Sebenza killer, I don't think so, but it's very, very nice for the money.

* I'm old skool and like the Spyderco hump in my blades, the Slysz lacks this and as a result, it's a little tricky to open initially. It'll just take practice.

* the wire clip touches right at the point of the lock plunge, so it hangs up while trying to withdrawal it from the pocket. I figured this would be the case from the pics. It's not bad, but it's a nit pick of mine.
Studey

Post by Studey »

Roger, pics! How are the ergos?
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

Just big enough for my hand, I wouldn't want it any smaller.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Sorry wrong thread.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

My Slysz Bowie came in and it's just perfect. It's wider than the Small Sebenza but the flush Spydie hole makes it much narrower than most Spydercos except for like the Southard. It feels very nice and comfortable in the hand and flicks open fast. With matte grey titanium barrel standoffs it will look much nicer. Not quite as smooth s a Sebenza but very nice! The titanium scales are thicker on the Sebenza.
  • Weight: 4.28 ounces
  • Open length: 7.75"
  • Closed length: 4.35"
  • Blade length: 3.42"
  • Blade thickness: 0.134" (at the jimping)
  • Blade thickness: 0.117" (in front of jimping)
  • Edge thickness: 0.020"
  • Blade width: 1.154"
  • Titanium thickness: 0.115"
  • Width closed: 1.4"
  • Overall thickness: 0.442"
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Any left-handed folks picked one up yet? How's it work for us southpaws?

Or, can any RH folks comment on ease of opening with the left hand, either with the thumb or a finger flick?
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I only use my thumb to open Spydercos, I don't do the flicks or anything. So, just using your left thumb, I doubt you'll be able to open it. Half of the hole is covered by the lock bar.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

I got mine today and im unfortunately pretty underwhelmed by this knife :(
I really had my hopes high for it, but its just not for me. Great knife, excellent fit and finish, and excellent materials.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Could it be the price?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Firebat

Post by Firebat »

Got mine today as well.

It's nice. Quite frankly, I don't believe it's $300 nice, but's that's my personal and subjective opinion. I'm not unhappy with it, but if I handled it in a shop first, without knowing the price, and was then told it was MSRP $500, but I could have it for $300, I would have politely declined.

I'm sure Spyderco priced it exactly where they needed to, and I appreciate that. However, I feel like there are other knives I'd ultimately rather have for the same and in some cases, less money. We all (well, we mere mortals on budgets anyway...) need to make these kinds of decisions for ourselves.

Love the stonewashed Ti. Really a great finish. Also love the crowned blade spine and thumb ramp jimping (I guess that's what it's called?). Back spacer is really nice, but a brighter color would have made it pop a little better like the Techno. The blade really is a thing of beauty. Great shape and really nice flat grind. Finish is excellent. Not scary sharp out of the box, but reasonably sharp. Worth noting is that for all the corners and angles on the handle, there's not a pointy corner or uncomfortable edge anywhere. That's a great detail you're not gonna notice until you handle it.

As suspected, the action on mine is no better or worse then any non-pivot bushing Spyderco. That is to say, perfectly decent and more or less smooth with a little bit of drag first bit of sweep off the detent. But not Manix 2 or Para 2 smooth. It should improve and smooth out over time. There's not much feel from the detent when closing; it won't pull the blade back in that last little bit, and when you close it, it's just kind of an unremarkable thud onto the stop pin.

Lock up is about 70% of the lock bar thickness out of the box. Not a big deal, the ramp is done right and it's gonna be a long time before it moves much further than that. There is a bit of lock stick upon release, but again, use and time usually smooths that right out. Otherwise, it locks up stout. No wiggle or play anywhere.

I agree with Roger's comment; the wire clip's placement over the lock bar cut-out does make for a snag point when drawing from the pocket. Seems like a bit of an oversight, but the clip has enough give so that you can twist the handle just a touch and get it to clear the snag.

As I sit here and inspect/play with it...maybe, just maybe this thing is going to grow on me. Hrrrm.

Would I recommend? Yes. It's well made, as predicted. However, $300 opens up a lot more options these days than it used to. Is it a "Sebenza killer"? No. But that notion was spawned by us out in forum land, not by Spyderco. :)
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Thanks Firebat for your candid comments.

I've been beating the drum for this knife all along, but seeing it right next to a PM2 I had the following thought: what if it came down to buying the Bowie or the fluted TI PM2? I have to imagine they'll be priced similarly, so not sure which way I'd go. One advantage to this knife is the understated nature of it, which I really like. But fluted TI CIL goodness? Oh man choices choices.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Popsickle wrote:I got mine today and im unfortunately pretty underwhelmed by this knife :(
I really had my hopes high for it, but its just not for me. Great knife, excellent fit and finish, and excellent materials.

I for one would be interested in why you feel this way, I was very hesitant to buy this one but did anyways, just hope I didnt make the wrong call on this one.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

farnorthdan wrote:
Popsickle wrote:I got mine today and im unfortunately pretty underwhelmed by this knife :(

I for one would be interested in why you feel this way, I was very hesitant to buy this one but did anyways, just hope I didnt make the wrong call on this one.
its not a bad knife at all, its a rather well put together knife. It just isn't for me. Other people may say its wonderful.......for me it was the overall package. When I took it out of the box I literally said out loud.... "this is it?". maybe im just used to other brands, as ive been much more in ZT knives lately.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Popsickle wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:

its not a bad knife at all, its a rather well put together knife. It just isn't for me. Other people may say its wonderful.......for me it was the overall package. When I took it out of the box I literally said out loud.... "this is it?". maybe im just used to other brands, as ive been much more in ZT knives lately.
So basically just under whelmed with the whole package for the price point, I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Popsickle wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:

I really don't understand this. What were you expecting the knife to do? It is a knife. You've seen pictures I'm sure, possible even a video from the Amsterdam Meet. This thread is weird and I don't know why.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Popsickle wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:

I really don't understand this. What were you expecting the knife to do? It is a knife. You've seen pictures I'm sure, possible even a video from the Amsterdam Meet. This thread is weird and I don't know why.

I expected it to cut everything on its own...... really dude? All you need to understand is the knife wasn't for me..... im sure a lot of people will be very pleased with this knife, but im just not one of them. Unfortunately the price is a bit steep on this. Im pretty sure this is a thread about the knife and what people think about it. If im posting in the wrong place, please feel free to let me know..... as im sure you will ;) . Ill just be trying something else in its place... maybe the k2 or the rubicon
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

First time Sebenza owners often have that same experience. They are simple, elegant knives, no flash, no gimmicks, etc. The Techno has a coolness about it because of it's overbuilt nature, blue backspacer, and being so small considering how chunky it is.

If you were to buy this as a custom, especially on the second hand market, you'd pay many times what it costs. But then, you'd have a collectible and not a knife you'd actually use. Same with the other new premium Spyderco knives. You'll have to value things like contoured handles and small finish details to appreciate what it offers, I would guess.