Southard or Domino?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GoldenSpydie

Re: Southard or Domino?

Post by GoldenSpydie »

204P Domino! Best of both worlds, IMO.

ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

GoldenSpydie wrote:204P Domino! Best of both worlds, IMO.
Blue Weave Domino......reasonable price and nicest looking scale Spyderco has used to date. ;) :D
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Don't have the Southard, but really like my Domino. Imo, it's really hard to beat for an all around nice edc.
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

ManixFan wrote:
Blue Weave Domino......reasonable price and nicest looking scale Spyderco has used to date. ;) :D
I'm surprised that they haven't used it on anything else. I really like the look of the blue cf. They could also mix other colours in there. It wasn't like it drove the cost of the sprint domino up any higher either.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Both are excellent knives, and you can't go wrong. For a point of reference, the Domino's ergos are similar to the Manix if you have ever handled one. Some people don't like the feel of the Southard, but I think it is a brilliant knife.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Excellent question! One I still have not found an answer to.

On one hand we have the Domino with its perfect EDC size and sweet blue scales. Just for me I intend to get a Manix 2 as soon as they go on sale again so should hold off on this one.

Then we have the oh so sweet Southard. I love some big knife and need a flipper to replace my POS off brand flipper. Not so turned on by the brown scales or stonewashed blade. The black Southard might be the way to go.

Don't forget about the dice if something smaller is an option.

Anyhow the reason I replied is because I asked this same question and thought you might find some of them replies helpful. Spoiler alert the voting was tied 20/20.

Here is the link.

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... =2&t=64815
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I have both.. I say "Domino" !!! For me.. John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I also have both and carry them probably more than any other Spydies (well, along with my S110V Native 5's ;)). They are both masterful designs, and I recommend you try both in hand to make a choice. Handle colors are easily changed BTW with some RIT dye. Here's a pic of my matching duo, both with coarse black G10 scales, which is better for grip than any other scale material they've used so far. The CF versions are too slippery for me to be fully confident in my grip, so I'd say if you're going the Domino route, it's worth the extra few bucks in my mind for the blue G10 204P version. Then start saving for a Southard! Cheers, Radioactive :)

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

As I've said in the past on this subject, probably the biggest thing that won me over was how much more edge you get on the Southard and I like the looks overall more than the Domino. There's something about the shape of the blade on the Domino that bothers me and I can't really say what. All that aside, I think the best knife out of the 3 performance wise is the 204P Domino. It has the better grind and will out slice the Southard by a long shot and since it shares the same steel it doesn't give up anything in edge retention.
v8r

Post by v8r »

I'm going to say the Domino. I have the Blue CF sprint. it flips open quicker than the two Southards I have played with, and seems lots quicker than any Auto I have played with as well.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Evil D wrote:There's something about the shape of the blade on the Domino that bothers me and I can't really say what.
For me the thing about the Domino's blade that bothers me is its how wide it is. I still think it is an excellent knife but I am betting it takes up a lot of pocket space and the blade just looks wonky.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
RadioactiveSpyder

I'm curious why you want a Manix then Harley if you think the Domino blade shape is funny ;) . As for pocket space, yes the Domino is wider, but actually not by that much, and I have deep pocket carry clips on both. The FFG blade also slices a lot better, I'm defintely thinking of a Southard regrind. Here's the duo closed:

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:I'm curious why you want a Manix then Harley if you think the Domino blade shape is funny ;)

It's subtle but the difference there if you're used to looking at Manix blades. More or less the spine is straighter and the point is higher on the blade giving it a tad more belly. It isn't a lot, but it's enough that it bothers me.
RadioactiveSpyder

Hi David, yes I've heard you say this comment about them previously but you must certainly admit to someone unfamiliar with either the Domino or Manix (someone used to neither model), that the blade shapes are pretty darn similar (certainly more so than different).

Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

The Dice is the only one of Spyderco's flippers I would consider.
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Surfingringo wrote:The Dice is the only one of Spyderco's flippers I would consider.
Curious as to why? My Dice should arrive tomorrow. I wanted the Southard for so long, but being near Los Angeles means that I wanted to buy a flipper that I can actually carry and not worry about going to jail.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I prefer both tip down and FFG so the answer would be clear for me. Personally, I'll stick with knives with less parts to break. My Sage3 and many other spydies are smooth as glass. Why do we need bearings? I don't care for internal stop pins either. I know CQI is the reason and I am glad that the spyder crew keeps pushing forward but for me it is just more money for something that has more parts to break.

I wander into the SFO and fondle all of their knives quite often and I just haven't been won over by these two model and their caged bearings. They do not seem any smoother to me. They are both beautiful knives but I will be leaving them both for someone else to enjoy.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Molle Ninja wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:The Dice is the only one of Spyderco's flippers I would consider.
Curious as to why? My Dice should arrive tomorrow. I wanted the Southard for so long, but being near Los Angeles means that I wanted to buy a flipper that I can actually carry and not worry about going to jail.
The truth? I feel kind of like a dork using a flipper...like I'm doing a parlor trick or something. I dunno, maybe I'm just too self conscious but they make me feel a little too mall ninja-ey. :). I think I would feel less silly using something smaller like the dice.

Edit: No offense intended to those of you who enjoy the flippers. I'm not calling anyone a dork but myself. ;)
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Surfingringo wrote:
Molle Ninja wrote:
The truth? I feel kind of like a dork using a flipper...like I'm doing a parlor trick or something. I dunno, maybe I'm just too self conscious but they make me feel a little too mall ninja-ey. :). I think I would feel less silly using something smaller like the dice.

Edit: No offense intended to those of you who enjoy the flippers. I'm not calling anyone a dork but myself. ;)
I totally get what you're saying. I purposely break out some of my flippers just to annoy my wife. Sometimes one in each hand, firing simultaneously. She's really going to disdain me tomorrow night once I get my hands on the Dice.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Haha. Now THAT sounds like a proper use for a flipper. I might need to reconsider.