Money Saving Tips

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Insurance

Post by Doc Dan »

One way to save money is on your life insurance. If you do not have children at home you may be able to reduce your whole-life insurance premium. But the key is to not touch the money, but to put the money into a retirement account or a mutual fund, or something that will actually earn money over time. Life insurance does not actually earn money. It is a wonderful thing to have in case of need, but it will not normally save money for you. Invest the rest.
Enkidude

Re: Money Saving Tips

Post by Enkidude »

Reduce, reuse, recycle.

Don't smoke or drink alcohol.

Don't pay for cable TV.

Don't pay for a gym membership. Exercise at home or in your neighborhood.

Drive the most economical vehicle you can depending on your circumstances.

Unplug your electric devices to avoid phantom power loss.

Make informed purchasing decisions of quality products. (Spyderco ;) )
Donut

Post by Donut »

I ran out of shaving cream a couple of years ago and figured out that just putting water on my face doesn't irritate my skin much. I've been using water for quite a while now.

I bought some edge shaving cream to try to learn using a straight edge to shave. I've been trying to use that to take off the heavier stuff when I don't shave for a few days (usually on the weekend).
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I use Gillette Sensor blades shave every other day and .make one last a month.

I have been using Lever 2000 soap ever since it came and when the pieces get down to the size that most people throw away I clean them good and put them in a quart jar. When the jar gets full I put it in a blender add just enough water to cover the soap a make liquid for the pump bottles Ive saved
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

House hold cleaning- use baking soda to polish/scour bench tops/stainless steel basins etc. MUCH cheaper than jif etc. Be warned though, it is very abrasive.
Use vinegar to clean/sanitise kitchen/bathroom. Wash/spray with vinegar and let sit for 5 mins or so and then scour with baking soda for impressive results.
Tip baking soda in drains with boiling water, let sit 5x mins then tip in vinegar and watch all the gunk come up pipe, yuck!
There are whole books written on vinegar as a house hold product. Really is a great product and not harmful to Family and Pets.
Peace and love.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

get 2 lbs of dried beans, cook fully store in fridge
get 2 lbs of rice, cook fully store in fridge
take a head of cabbage, shred and steam until tender, store in fridge

Dinner for a week for pretty cheap. And healthy.

Also, try Wendy's value menu chili and baked potato and combine the two inside the potato bowl. With water as your beverage you just ate for less than $4.

Get a large vessel and take your own water with you, get refills where you can. Ditch soda.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

If you go to Wendy's and order a baked potato with chili it will cost you more than if you order a baked potato plain plus a small chili.

Buy meat from the wholesaler. You have to buy more but you pay less. Also, it is far cheaper to buy a yearling cow and have it butchered than buy the packaged stuff at the store. Any stockyard or deer hunter can tell you where to have it slaughtered and butchered.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Double edge safety razors are cheaper, more eco friendly, higher quality, classier and in my opinion shave better and stay sharp longer. More blades just means more clogging. The design of these razors makes them very difficult to clog up and just the slightest pass under running water and all of the hair is rinsed out. I often wait to shave and have to do a little bushwacking when I shave. You will spend almost 40 bucks on the razor but it will last your entire life and the blades are very cheap. They can be had for 10 cents each online or you can get very high quality blades for a little more. I do not believe that more blades stay sharp longer and actually believe that the razor industry has many people duped. Years of marketing have convinced everybody that the mach turbo fusion glide bs is better but I believe that we are just victims of marketing control. Many of you may know all about them but I am 36 years old and most people in my generation are very loyal to the disposable multi blade razors that most men use. I use an Edwin Jagger DE89 made in Sheffield, England. Love it. Chrome plated brass construction. I also use feather blades and they are supposedly the very sharpest. There is a forum called Badgerandblade that has lots of great info about shaving.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have a digital antenna and do not pay for cable or satellite.

I shop for car insurance often. You can usually save money if you look around. I check once a year.

Ting is a cheaper phone company that is part of sprint. We pay about 42 dollars a month for two iPhones but we don't use much data. You only pay for what you use and the incraments are small.

We drive our vehicles for ten years or more and alternate between my wife and I who has the payment so we never have two payments and we drive affordable vehicles.

Keep credit debt low and save on interest. Some people spend a lot of money on interest.

Buy in bulk, shop for sales and eat lots of rice and beans. Don't eat meat at every meal, once a day is plenty. Protien is expensive. I would say hunt and fish but I spend so much on those two hobbies that I question if it's cheaper or not. I'm sure it can be. Food is one of our biggest expenses.

Cook at home and eat out less.

Reload your own ammo.

Exersize and eat right. Save on health care.

Ride a bike and save on gas.

Set your thermostat low. I shoot for 66-68 but I like it cool in the winter. Opposite in summer, don't run the ac full power.

Turn lights off when you leave the room and line dry your clothes.

I have "chronic do-it-yourselfers disease". Don't pay anyone to do anything you can do yourself. Change your own oil, paint your own house, change your own hot water heater or anything else you can do.

I can be very frugal at times. :) I'm sure I can think of more things that I do .
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?