Slysz Bowie!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vaisforlovers

Re: Slysz Bowie!

Post by vaisforlovers »

Firebat wrote:Appreciate any thoughts you can provide.
Like "Better than a Medium Sized Sebenza that doesn't exist" impressed. Will post pics tomorrow and post more detailed thoughts.
Firebat

Post by Firebat »

vaisforlovers wrote:
Firebat wrote:Appreciate any thoughts you can provide.
Like "Better than a Medium Sized Sebenza that doesn't exist" impressed. Will post pics tomorrow and post more detailed thoughts.
Wow. Now you've got my attention. :D

That's certainly encouraging. Don't get me wrong, I really like the Sage 2...it's a great folder, but I've been hoping that the Slysz Bowie is more than a variation on that same general theme, if that makes sense.

Looking forward to your thoughts, thanks.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Have you handled a Techno? There's a big difference between the Sage 2 and the Techno. If the Slysz Bowie is anything like a larger Techno (and I expect it will be, but even better with the contoured scales), it should be fantastic.
:bug-red-white
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

As promised, here are some thoughts and comparison shots. You all have your own opinions about wire clips, jimping, etc. I’ll try to leave my opinion out, which one I like better and instead attempt to just point out the differences, not judge.

I don’t have a Millie to compare it to, but against a PM2 it compares similarly in size and carry. The Bowie and PM2 have drastically different blade shape, but to me carry similarly in the hand. The Bowie’s handle, just forward of the locking surface and right below the pivot is curved and makes almost a false choil, if thats a term. It carrys very nicely.

The thickness is imperceptibly similar to the PM2. Because of the radiused handle on the Bowie it is thinner than the PM2 at the edges and about the same thickness in the middle. Very difficult to tell with the pic below.

The Southard has an longer, thinner blade, but the cutting edge length is similar. The handle lengths are similar. As you can tell I replaced my Southard’s clip with a deep carry one. The clip on the Bowie almost disappears the Bowie in the pocket. I like it and wouldn't replace it if I could.

]Image

If you like the size of the Stretch, and you want to try a premium knife without a thumb-ramp, then I’d say this is the knife for you. Very similar feel in the hand to me.

]Image

I remember when I thought Natives and Delicas were big. The Native now feels tiny compared to the Bowie. The Bowie has almost an inch more cutting edge than the Native, and closed, the Bowie feels like it takes up less pocket space. My grip on the Slysz Bowie feels far less choked-up than on the Native.

Eric hit an ergonomic home run with the Domino, but in order for me to carry it, the leaf-shaped blade requires reservations for me to make space in my pocket. The Bowie is about the same size, but its more rectangular form feels like it takes up far less pocket space. In the hand it is not as comfortable as the Domino, but pretty close. Ill take the trade-off here, and will be far more likely to carry it than the Domnio for this reason.

Here it is agains the Lion Steel SR1A: Very similar shape, size etc. My SR1 has the most awesome lock-up sound. This Bowie sounds Very similar. I think this is due to the heft/weight in the blade. While other liner and frame locks make a “ker-clink” sound, these two make a very deep “ker-CLUNK” sound. I LIKE it!

I also chose the GB Folder. The are about the same size and feel, though the GB obviously has the thumb ramp.

Against the Sage:

I like the the Stonewashed finish on the Bowie and think will hide wear far better than the bead-blasted finish of the Sage.

Against it’s sibling, the Techno:

The jimping on the backspaced is much sharper and feels like the teeth on a zip-tie.

Closed pics:

Lastly, I think the Chris Reeve Sebenza is feat of engineering and design. I am marveled by the fact I am allowed to take it apart, under warranty, and then when I reassemble it, it is just as smooth as before. My one complaint is that the Small is too small and the Large is slightly too large to be legal (3.5”). This Slysz Bowie is the “just right” size: a hair under 3.5”. It is equally as smooth and I really like the Stonewashed finish as it won’t show the famous Ti snail trails that bead-blasted finishes do. The top of the Bowie blade is rounded and jimped very similarly to the Reeve.

Obviously I’m very pleased with the knife. I hope it is due to the imperial attributes, and not me just subconsciously trying to justify that this expensive purchase was worth it. It was my most expensive Spyderco to date, but worth the premium to me. It may bump my Southard for a while…

Any other specific photo comparions? Angles, perspectives, or different knives?
Last edited by vaisforlovers on Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to do that.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Really excellent comparison pics, just what we were looking for! I thought it'd be just a tad bigger...
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Thanks for the great pics. It looks awesome! Like everything I could want in an EDC knife. Can't wait until mine arrives.
LC Kid

Awesome Pics!

Post by LC Kid »

Hi vaisforlovers!

vaisforlovers wrote: Against it’s sibling, the Techno:
THX Much for these fantastic pics Bro! :)

The more I see it the more I like it. :D

Has the breed of a superb user, like no one else before. :cool:
Trevitrace

Post by Trevitrace »

Holy helpful pics, Batman! Thanks for taking the time to do this.
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Thx for the awesome comp pics! Great job!
Firebat

Post by Firebat »

gbelleh wrote:Have you handled a Techno? There's a big difference between the Sage 2 and the Techno. If the Slysz Bowie is anything like a larger Techno (and I expect it will be, but even better with the contoured scales), it should be fantastic.
Yes, owned a Techno for some time. I agree that it is quite different than the Sage 2, but that's largely aesthetic. I don't recall thinking the build quality or fit and finish of the Techno was significantly better than the Sage 2. What I'm looking for is that certain thing that some knives have and others just don't...that certain something that when you pick it up, handle it, open and close it, you just know that it is *nice*. Hard to describe and certainly highly subjective, for sure. I guess for price, I'm hoping the Slysz Bowie is one of those knives, as I really like the design.

vaisforlovers- Thanks for the excellent pics and write-up. My Bowie should be here tomorrow or the next day, so I'm looking to evaluating the subjectivity of "is it worth it?" myself. :)
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

An informative comparison and a lot of good work for the forum community, thank you vaisforlovers!
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Excellent. The blade to handle ratio looks great and the comparisons to the Para2, Stretch and Sebenzas is very helpful.
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

Thankx much vaisforlovers! I wish that it had came out in CTS-204P or CPM-S110V but anyway it seems to be a really great knife to think about getting. ****, it's going to be a very expensive end of 2014... :)
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Great pics and comparison. Appreciate the effort!
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

vaisforlovers wrote:
Great pictures vaisforlovers thanks.

This is one very nice and very expensive picture. I remember not to long ago there was no way I would pay the price to get a Sebenza or high end Spydie. Now it is just a matter of when.

The para cord on your small Sebenza fob. What color and where did you get it? Love the color match.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
The para cord on your small Sebenza fob. What color and where did you get it? Love the color match.
I wish I could help you, but it came with the knife, which I got from the BladeForums Exchange.

To all, thanks for the kind words. I enjoyed taking the pictures. I wish I could figure out how to get the whole pic to show up on the forums. The originals on photobucket do not have the tips and edges cropped off?????
mattman

Post by mattman »

I think it's your browser not playing nice with the new forum software... Pics don't appear cropped to me (Chrome mobile)
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Fantastic review vaisforlovers, thank you for putting together some great comparisons, this has made me even more excited to receive mine.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

mattman wrote:I think it's your browser not playing nice with the new forum software... Pics don't appear cropped to me (Chrome mobile)
The pics get cut off on all my devices and browsers. Even on my 24" iMac (using Chrome) unless I go nearly full screen. I just tried Chrome on my iPhone with the same results (I was really hoping that would work!)