Spyderco/Farid K2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Popsickle

Re: Spyderco/Farid K2

Post by Popsickle »

oh and for anyone wondering..... a certain Shoppe has these for sale :)
I already have my Slysz bowie incoming
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Popsickle wrote:I like to see Ankersons tests...... the back and forth has been ridiculous with Cliff Stamp. Sorry Cliff but I get the feeling there are lots of people that just aren't your biggest fans.

if you don't like the knife, maker, or whatever...... don't buy it. It is in fact a landmark knife. I simply won't be buying it because its far too large. Some people will really enjoy this blade.

Well Cliff has one coming, he is one of the 4 that Sal sent the knives to..

I for one am interested to see what Cliff does with it and what his results are, so only time will tell.

Just remember there are 4 people testing them, I have already finished my testing, there are 3 others, Joe, Phil Wilson and Cliff.
faridknives

Post by faridknives »

Just a little more info on the K2, how it came about.
Many years ago I was drawing different blade shapes just experimenting with different bowie shapes, I wanted to design a folder which could do most jobs very well, out of many I chose one and kept the drawing. I didn't take it any further and never designed the handle part at that time, just threw the drawing in the pile of designs which I had at that time, it was a couple of years later I all of a sudden remembered that blade which I had drawn and went through all the old designs and found it, only at that time I started to develop the knife which we now know as the Farid K2.
I started drawing handle shapes which matched the styling of the blade shape and also comfortable to hold, I must have gone through many generations of the K2 handle, constantly changing and improving it by a little each time until it was perfect, after that I added my unique signature wavy cut out spring. The unique design of the 10v K2 is such that if you were a left handed user you are still going to be able to open the knife which is a great feature.

I like to take this opportunity to thank you all for your support, my deepest gratitude goes to Sal and Eric and everyone at Spyderco and also to Jim for all his hard work in testing this knife.

I am still recovering but I have already started the development on the small K2 to be released in 2015.

Thank you all.
Farid Mehr
knife maker
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Farid,

Thank you and Spyderco for making this knife happen. :)

Jim
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Cliff Stamp wrote:

Image.
Apologies if I missed the answer in previous posts, but how is sharpness measured here?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Bolster wrote:
Cliff Stamp wrote:

Image.
Apologies if I missed the answer in previous posts, but how is sharpness measured here?

I think he is doing the string thing... Not sure though...
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Please explain or link to explanation of "string thing"?
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

It is a reference to "string theory" which was later consolidated into an 11-dimensional theory called "M-theory" by a man much smarter than I named Edward Witten.

It is a theory that explains why when you drag a string along the ground, this causes an irresistible attractive force to act upon any nearby felines that results in them chasing said string.

Find a link below to a more general explanation that explains this phenomena in lay-mans terms. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_theory" target="_blank
Last edited by ManixFan on Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

ManixFan wrote:It is an reference to "string theory" which was later consolidated into an 11-dimensional theory called "M-theory" by a man much smarter than I named Edward Witten.

It is a theory that explains why when you drag a string along the ground, this causes an irresistible attractive force to act upon any nearby felines that results in them chasing said string.

Find a link below to a more general explanation that explains this phenomena in lay-mans terms. ;)

Is this a joke?

And just so you won't say again that I'm adding nothing, Cliff tests sharpness by measuring force needed to cut string.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Am I the only one actually reading this thread?!

Farid said a small K2 in 2015! 10V blade and sweet titanium in a more manageable size. Sign me up for two please.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It is Cliff's string theory. It states that since dulling is a decreasing exponential function that data collected from dulling tests is more accurate and more easily measured in the earlier stages of dulling than in the later stages of dulling. For this reason he prefers his tests done with various smaller strings instead of rope and cardboard and he does not believe the data collected from marathon cutting sessions is as accurate or useful.

My theory, there is certainly at least something to be gained from both forms of testing.

Also, people want a knife that stays sharp "forever" and a lot of people are enamored with high carbide steels so Jim's tests are very popular as they focus on high wear resistant steels and courser finishes. It is great information for a lot of people who are interested in marathon wear resistance.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Both Farid's and Ankerson's reviews prompted me to grab one of these beasts from the CS (can't beat Jeff's price)! Can't wait to see it in person. It was between this and the Slysz Bowie and the size, the insane blade steel, and the simplicity of the design (two screws in the whole handle, wow!) won the day for the K2. The Slysz Bowie's next up (assuming the Rubicon doesn't appear in the next month or so). The K2 looks like a major winner!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Both Farid's and Ankerson's reviews prompted me to grab one of these beasts from the CS (can't beat Jeff's price)! Can't wait to see it in person. It was between this and the Slysz Bowie and the size, the insane blade steel, and the simplicity of the design (two screws in the whole handle, wow!) won the day for the K2. The Slysz Bowie's next up (assuming the Rubicon doesn't appear in the next month or so). The K2 looks like a major winner!
Congrats man. I'm excited for ya. I'll more likely than not be getting one this week as well.
CPM 10V and all that blade..... Wow...
faridknives

Post by faridknives »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:Am I the only one actually reading this thread?!

Farid said a small K2 in 2015! 10V blade and sweet titanium in a more manageable size. Sign me up for two please.
Hello, that was a reference to my 'custom K2', I will release the small custom K2 in 2015, the grade of steel I will use will be released at a later date. Thank you for your support. F
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Awesome, Farid.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

faridknives wrote:
HarleyXJGuy wrote:Am I the only one actually reading this thread?!

Hello, that was a reference to my 'custom K2', I will release the small custom K2 in 2015, the grade of steel I will use will be released at a later date. Thank you for your support. F
I hope we get a Spyderco version! The current K2 is just too big for me, but if a scaled down version were available, if buy that. 10V in the smaller version would be nice too.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

After testing Photos, all cleaned up again. :)

faridknives

Post by faridknives »

Sal's custom K2 and the 10v production version, this custom K2 is the very first generation which means it has alot more curve on top of the blade, the profile of the blade right now is the same as the REX K2 which has alot less curve on the top.

Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

MacLaren wrote:
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Both Farid's and Ankerson's reviews prompted me to grab one of these beasts from the CS (can't beat Jeff's price)! Can't wait to see it in person. It was between this and the Slysz Bowie and the size, the insane blade steel, and the simplicity of the design (two screws in the whole handle, wow!) won the day for the K2. The Slysz Bowie's next up (assuming the Rubicon doesn't appear in the next month or so). The K2 looks like a major winner!
Congrats man. I'm excited for ya. I'll more likely than not be getting one this week as well.
CPM 10V and all that blade..... Wow...

I find myself more more curious about this knife than I was over the last 48 hours...... I might have to bite on this one
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:
ManixFan wrote:It is an reference to "string theory" which was later consolidated into an 11-dimensional theory called "M-theory" by a man much smarter than I named Edward Witten.

Is this a joke?

And just so you won't say again that I'm adding nothing, Cliff tests sharpness by measuring force needed to cut string.
Is this a joke? Hmmmn, that depends.......do you find it funny? Or, to put it another way.......

"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" :eek:

Some people may find it funny and consider it a joke; and some people might view it as empirical research into proving the nature of the aforementioned string theory. :confused:

You say "toh may toh".....I say "toh mah toh".......we are still talking about the same organic soft round fruit or vegetable.......depending on whether you are a scientist or a cook. ;) I like to consider myself a bit of both.....stirring the data and stirring the pot can both lead to personal satisfaction when you either arrive at a valid conclusion or a delicious dish that satisfies the appetite. :D

Reality is what you make it. In either case, thank you very much for your contribution to either my joke (for those who interpret it as such) or to providing a data point with respect to my empirical research into string theory. :)

If either of those explanations are simply gibberish to you than we simply are not engaged with the same consensus reality. Which is entirely alright, as no fruits or vegetables were sacrificed in the name of science or comedy.......

After all, if you can't see it, then it doesn't exist - right? :p
th7P5R1U5B.jpg
th7P5R1U5B.jpg (12.97 KiB) Viewed 4175 times
thNBLUS9Y5.jpg
thNBLUS9Y5.jpg (17.2 KiB) Viewed 4175 times
thKW44SX2Z.jpg
thKW44SX2Z.jpg (9.69 KiB) Viewed 4175 times
hCDB3160E.jpg
P.S. I have never posted anywhere on this forum that you were "adding nothing" . If you believe that I have, then please post what I have stated in its full entirety and I think that most people would agree that I have in fact been quite complimentary in saying that you have contributed quite a bit of value in your past postings.....please don't spoil that now. :(
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D