Pass around of my Spyderco C160 Foundry!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Pass around of my Spyderco C160 Foundry!

Post by bearfacedkiller »

All that belly just makes me want to skin a deer. I don't like to use folders for that but whenever I see a knife with that much belly that i all i think of.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Thanks for the update, PayneTrain, and thanks for the kind words, bearfacedkiller.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

bearfacedkiller wrote:All that belly just makes me want to skin a deer. I don't like to use folders for that but whenever I see a knife with that much belly that i all i think of.
You must be thinking of deer hunting whenever you look at the new Mehr K2 then. :)
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It does have the belly of skinner and that 10v should hold up well processing game. I bet the K2 would do well at that.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Busy weekend here, but I managed to bring the Foundry up to our favorite lunch break spot for a little taste of CT.

I really like this knife and will be on the hunt for one now. One thing I wasn't sure about was the Carpenter logo and how it might be a bit obtrusive, but now that I see it in person I actually really like it. Another thing that's very hard to capture in pictures is how the logo catches the light and reflects it differently than the rest of the handle. A real nice touch and I'd be happy to advertise for Carpenter in this manner.

Another thing that I'm having trouble capturing in a photo is its size. It looks so small in pics, I think because of how wide the handle is. It's a very wide handle and instead of my brain seeing that as the case, it instead makes the assumption that the knife is just short and the handle is a standard width. This is a good, full size knife that fills my hand very nicely. Here it is in stark contrast with my Military that I was carrying yesterday. The Military's mile-long handle again makes the Foundry look small, but it's all an illusion.

I think the handle feels most like my Sage 3, so I'm going to try to take a shot of them together today, as well as a couple of other details. I should be ready to say goodbye on Monday.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Very nice! Thanks for posting.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I didn't get to use the sun today, but I managed to put together enough light to get this little comparo shot to show the Foundry with some similarly wide handles from my small collection. These other two handles in G10 and FRN are both thicker than the smooth steel handle of the Foundry, but even they aren't quite as wide. I feel that extra width at the rear really helps it nestle itself in your grip surprisingly well considering how relatively thin it is. I know not everyone likes all metal handles, but I happen to be a fan and this one goes into my hall of fame. Great catch, GS, and thanks again for sharing it with us! You and the Carpenter crew got a real winner here.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I guess I'll throw this one up too to help compare handle shapes. Again, super comfortable, great design. I'll sneak a couple more in tomorrow before she ships out, and try to comment on more than just the handle...which I love in case I didn't mention that.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Thanks for participating, PayneTrain! I just PMed the next address.

Enjoy it Studey!
Studey

Post by Studey »

Sweet! I already have some ideas of what I want to do with it and compare it to.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Daylight hours are so busy, so the Foundry had to come with me to New Haven yesterday to get a couple more photos. She's been traveling safely inside my camera bag in her pouch, which I really like by the way. I had a few free minutes at the top of a parking garage to visually capture a couple more points I like about this knife.

Ok, I'm still not done with the handle. Observe how full a grip I can get with my large size hands and lanky fingers. I can't stress enough how much bigger this knife feels compared to how it looks. Sure, it won't carry as neat and slim as a Southard, for instance, but in use I feel I would really appreciate the extra girth.

About the blade. I really like it aesthetically. It looks cool, though what's more important is how it works. I like using blades with lots of belly like this for just about anything I do throughout my daily life, but what's even cooler is the tip. I work in a butcher shop so I use lots of upswept tips on meats and such. I appreciate the usefulness of such a feature not just on food, but on a general daily tasks. I love the Military/Paramilitary blade shape because it offers that fine tip. The Foundry takes it one step further and kinks that tip up ever so slightly. I tried to capture it, but what I really should have done is put a straight edge against it so you could see it more clearly.
There is a lot of utility in this blade shape, and I hope they do go mainstream because I'd love to beat one up.

Speaking of work, I had a fun idea for a sticker for the box. I got there before everyone else (not hard to do at all) so no one would ask what I was doing or try to touch it. Based on a MSRP of $349.95...
$1,060.50/lb.! Just goes to show you the value of hard work. This is a great piece of functional art and a real nice gesture from Spyderco to honor the mad scientists and tireless hands at Carpenter. Thanks again for this pass around, hopefully someday I'll have something cool to share with you guys!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Very cool thanks for sharing.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Very cool--thanks!
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Finally got around to taking pictures of the second Foundry. Low light, so pardon the flash.

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Such a nice Spydie. I truly enjoyed my time with it. Thanx again Golden Spydie :)
Studey

Post by Studey »

Got it today! Gotta say, I like it much more than I expected. It's a very solid yet compact knife. Incredibly comfortable handle, WOW.

I make polymer trainers, so I started a little project as a thank you.

GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Glad to hear that you got it! Enjoy.

The trainer will be cool too--I bet there is only one Foundry trainer is existence!
Studey

Post by Studey »

I took a ton of pictures today and will be putting them up today or tomorrow. Here's two shots of the Foundry in my AO.

Backyard.

Barnyard.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I really like your Barnyard pic! Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Great pictures! Like Radioactive, I think that barn pic is great!