pm2 ellmax?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: pm2 ellmax?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

endgame

Post by endgame »

im happy you like blue and tomatoes bearface.lol I get youre point
bearfacedkiller

endgame wrote:g10 is a cheap alternative to other scales if you didnt have those ss liners it would be nothing.
I do not believe this to be true. The military has partial liners and it is a beast. There have been plenty of linerless knives by other makers. You need at least a partial liner or else you cannot attach the standard clip.
endgame wrote:... but the blue us ugly and it was a bento box special.
bearfacedkiller wrote:Blue G10 is ugly?
bearfacedkiller wrote:I like blue g10 almost as much as I like growing tomatoes, and I LOVE growing tomatoes.
You made a subjective statement and I questioned it and made my own subjective statement.

My blue G10 came from Halpern Ti, not BBS.
endgame wrote:just causr I dont like smurf blue and you do dont hate its just my opinion.
I am not hating.
endgame wrote:g10 is a cheap alternative to other scales
G10 is more affordable than some of our other options but spyderco does not do cheap. A lot of people think frn is cheap. I think it is lightweight, strong and affordable. All things I look for in a handle material for certain applications.
endgame wrote: peelply cf wich is just g10 with fake cf tape.
This is incorrect. Peel ply CF is real solid carbon fiber. The Sage3, Domino, Dice and Szabo are the CF Laminate on black G10.
endgame wrote: I would love coated aluminum ,micarta.wood.ss.titanium.
Coated Aluminum was done by spyderco many years ago and if you want that go for it. They are not too hard to find but they aren't para2's. A coated aluminum para2 would be a bit of a step backwards for many of us.

I would love a wood or micarta Para2, I'm sure many of us would. I would like to see more of both of them in the lineup.
endgame wrote:dlc coated aluminum with vg10 I would buy 5 of them.
I would pass on this far fetched knife. VG10 comes from Japan and the Para2 comes from Golden. If it was an S30V model with dlc coated aluminum I would still pass.

We do not need to argue and I am sorry if you thought that is what I wanted to do but your post made a few erroneous statements, was filled with subjective statements and was grammatically terrible so i questioned it. We would all love to see some more variety from spyderco even though they have a ton of variety already. I hope this post doesn't come across wrong. Just trying to show my perspective.
mattman

Post by mattman »

endgame wrote:I love ellmax over s30v.s30v is the only stainless that has rusted on.me over the years.the blue m390 sold fast and I no its a so called better steel but the blue us ugly and it was a bento box special.well it was just a question and I personally think if this was released I year or two earlier it would have sold like the rest I just think its time to retire the fancy steel factor on the pm2 and work on changing the cheap g10 scales.I would love coated aluminum ,micarta.wood.ss.titanium.no more peelply cf wich is just g10 with fake cf tape.I like it but its just like fake wood floors in a house looks real but its not.dlc coated aluminum with vg10 I would buy 5 of them.anodized ti or anodized flueted ti any kindif steel wich I hear they are going to make ,how about some nice wood or polished micarta.no mire g10 or peelply sprint in differrnt colors .it had been done to death now.
You missed the fluted Ti prototype that was just sold on the Bay...
bearfacedkiller

mattman wrote:
endgame wrote:I love ellmax over s30v.s30v is the only stainless that has rusted on.me over the years.the blue m390 sold fast and I no its a so called better steel but the blue us ugly and it was a bento box special.well it was just a question and I personally think if this was released I year or two earlier it would have sold like the rest I just think its time to retire the fancy steel factor on the pm2 and work on changing the cheap g10 scales.I would love coated aluminum ,micarta.wood.ss.titanium.no more peelply cf wich is just g10 with fake cf tape.I like it but its just like fake wood floors in a house looks real but its not.dlc coated aluminum with vg10 I would buy 5 of them.anodized ti or anodized flueted ti any kindif steel wich I hear they are going to make ,how about some nice wood or polished micarta.no mire g10 or peelply sprint in differrnt colors .it had been done to death now.
You missed the fluted Ti prototype that was just sold on the Bay...
Man is my wallet gonna be hurting if that thing ever comes to fruition. I do not usually buy two but that knife is dream come true and I will have to have a pre-need replacement.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Elmax at 62-63 performs at an exceptionally high level. My guess (and that's all it is), is that Elmax is a bit more finicky than some steels in it's required heat treat. Elmax is really only comparable to S30V in price, not so much performance. A well treated Elmax blade should be fairly tough, have respectable edge retention, and very respectable corrosion resistance. It's a great all-around steel. With all of that said, I don't know if any production Elmax out there really shows what the steel is capable of. It's only been used in a mainstream way for a few years (by American companies) whereas S30V has been a common production steel for a decade or so. S30V also had issues with chipping in the past that have just about all been rectified.
Stugots-II

Post by Stugots-II »

Soon enough BBS will realize they can't keep capitalizing off of exclusives. One they charge more of course, two they stink when it comes to customer relations and three they are selecting more and more less favorable options hoping we are bandwagon buyers.

I have bought from them in the past, especially when they first turned up as a dealer. But they have overstepped now and I will only buy directly from them as a last result.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

For me, I already had the dark green 204P model, and I didn't love the color. No other reason really.
animportant

Post by animportant »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
animportant wrote:I believe Ankerman stated that the Elmax in the PM2 has a higher Heat Treat Hardness than the Elmax used previously and by other brands, around 60 Hardness, which makes it better. (From the bladeforum thread) I'm not 100% sure though.

My Elmax PM2 is one of about 10 Spydercos. I like it alot, but sometimes I wish I had either the M390 or 204p model instead. It's still a great piece, though.
I didn't know Ron Burgundy was into steel? Anchorman, Lol!!!
hahaha woops! give me a break it was early and i'm on vacation from work til tuesday :D
animportant

Post by animportant »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Image
Yea i'm not sure what's not to love. Makes me instantly think of the Audi S Colors, Nogaro Blue, Sprint Blue, RS Blau (or however you spell it not looking it up), etc.
bearfacedkiller

No worries. You set 'em up and I'll knock 'em down. Can't turn down a Ron Burgundy joke if I tried.

Love that movie.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I bought a blue Persistence about a year ago in an effort to like textured blue G-10 and the jury is still out. I've been really surprised at a lot of Spyderco things I've come to like, so I'm always open minded about it. And there have been a few that never really grew on me. To me, bright primary colors look better on FRN -- once I went to great extremes trying to find a blue Stretch -- but on textured G-10, I like earth tones like foliage green, ranger green, OD, PM2 204P dark/forest green, Manix tan, and surprisingly, even light gray. Maybe it's a brain chemistry thing like conservative versus liberal, ha ha.

But Spyderco must have the greatest array of different knife types, shapes, blade steels, locking mechanisms, handle colors and handle materials in the world to choose from, so there's bound to be a few in there to please everybody. I wonder if anybody has ever counted all the permutations. Somehow I don't think we'll be able to get Kristi to put that on her do-list :D
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Ok it's official I spend to much time here.

I would say more then half the time I see a picture posted here and know right away who posted it.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Ok it's official I spend to much time here.

I would say more then half the time I see a picture posted here and know right away who posted it.
''

Well, this pic is an easy guess, so maybe there's hope for you.

But I'm betting that bfk doesn't have the really blue Stretch (or the old discontinued really blue Delica for that matter), or he wouldn't have been able to resist digging it out for this picture. To me these Super Blue Stretches and Delicas look gray in real life... but very nice ;)
bearfacedkiller

No other blue in my collection.

The Super Blue looks grey next to a blue knife and blue next to a grey knife. My work buddy has a FFG grey delica 4 and it makes mine look blue but you are correct that when alone or next to a blue knife it looks grey. I don't go back to work until monday, i'll snap a pic of the grey vg10 delica4 next to my super blue delica 4. There is no denying the bluish tint to the knife. I actually love it. Great color. Had a blue ZDP stretch. Funded other purchases at one point though. It got me an M4 and 52100 mule. :)

My collection has been lacking zdp ever since. I need to fix that.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

jabba359 wrote: Peel Ply is solid carbon fiber. Oddly enough, I tend to like the twill-woven CF laminate coming out of Taiwan the best, even more than solid CF. I feel like peel ply loses a lot of the aesthetic benefits of CF, ending up looking and feeling like G-10 but at a higher price. My second favorite CF would probably be the matte sort they used on the Dodo.
I like twill-woven CF laminate and Dodo's CF the best, but lately peel-ply started to grow on me. I have no problem with laminate, I think that it is strong and light enough for me. Recently I start hating peel-ply G10 after it killed my second Levi's.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:No other blue in my collection.

The Super Blue looks grey next to a blue knife and blue next to a grey knife. My work buddy has a FFG grey delica 4 and it makes mine look blue but you are correct that when alone or next to a blue knife it looks grey. I don't go back to work until monday, i'll snap a pic of the grey vg10 delica4 next to my super blue delica 4. There is no denying the bluish tint to the knife. I actually love it. Great color. Had a blue ZDP stretch. Funded other purchases at one point though. It got me an M4 and 52100 mule. :)

My collection has been lacking zdp ever since. I need to fix that.
I can see why you would give up the blue Stretch for those two particular mules, but, if you could find one again or the blue Delica ZDP, it would be an obvious no brainer. Also, I think the British racing green Delica, Endura, and Stretch ZDPs are going to be classics, and, looking at the spydiewiki, the white FRN Endura ZDP would be no slouch.
bearfacedkiller

BRG Delica has been my plan to get some ZDP back in my rotation. While I do like the blue I prefer green in general to other colors.