FB14P4 – Swick 4 Leaf with Sheath

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sequimite

Re: FB14P4 – Swick 4 Leaf with Sheath

Post by Sequimite »

So the original post is saying that the Swick 4 will have a bigger index hole than previous versions? If it's close to Caspian size I'm interested.

"The Swick 4’s enhanced finger-hole design is larger and is complemented by jimping (textured grooves) on the thumb ramp to further enhance grip control during use."
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Sequimite wrote:So the original post is saying that the Swick 4 will have a bigger index hole than previous versions? If it's close to Caspian size I'm interested.

"The Swick 4’s enhanced finger-hole design is larger and is complemented by jimping (textured grooves) on the thumb ramp to further enhance grip control during use."
I'm guessing that it's the same size as the Swick 3. The original, original sprint, and Swick 2 all had 23mm holes. The Swick 3 was enlarged to 26mm and also used the same wording ("...finger-hole design is larger..."), so I assume the Swick 4 will also be 26mm. The Caspian measured in at 25mm, so this is pretty dang close.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Can't believe I almost missed this. No more posting while I am away from internet TazKristi!

Never seen or heard of these type of Spyderco's before.

Am I correct to say they come with no scales and it is up to the end user to make some or use para cord?

Also I will just buy them at the Spyderco web store?

Sorry if these questions have been answered somewhere already.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:Can't believe I almost missed this. No more posting while I am away from internet TazKristi!

Am I correct to say they come with no scales and it is up to the end user to make some or use para cord?

Hey Harley, that's a yes and a yes. I don't own one yet. We had a thread recently where Sal said they were open to the idea of doing one in serrated H1. We did a poll and the Hawkbill blade shape won. I think a serrated HB would be a very natural blade shape for this little knife. Seems like the way that handle is made it would excel at pull cuts. We'll see what happens. For now I need to pick up one of these!
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Yes, I think a hawk bill would be a awesome blade shape for a knife like this.

Still plan to get a leaf 4 when it comes out though, because buy them both is always the correct answer here.

Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

jabba359 wrote:
Sequimite wrote:So the original post is saying that the Swick 4 will have a bigger index hole than previous versions? If it's close to Caspian size I'm interested.

I'm guessing that it's the same size as the Swick 3. The original, original sprint, and Swick 2 all had 23mm holes. The Swick 3 was enlarged to 26mm and also used the same wording ("...finger-hole design is larger..."), so I assume the Swick 4 will also be 26mm. The Caspian measured in at 25mm, so this is pretty dang close.
Thanks. The only one I had was the Swick 2 and I somehow missed the news that the 3 had a larger hole. The difference for me is that the larger hole will go over my knuckle and allow me to use both hands while holding the knife.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

As I understand it using the knife while in hand is part of the reasoning behind the larger finger hole.

Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Sorry, wrong forum
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

Surfingringo wrote:
HarleyXJGuy wrote:Can't believe I almost missed this. No more posting while I am away from internet TazKristi!

Hey Harley, that's a yes and a yes. I don't own one yet. We had a thread recently where Sal said they were open to the idea of doing one in serrated H1. We did a poll and the Hawkbill blade shape won. I think a serrated HB would be a very natural blade shape for this little knife. Seems like the way that handle is made it would excel at pull cuts. We'll see what happens. For now I need to pick up one of these!
I'd love to get a serrated H1 Hawkbill Swick! I was actually just reading the thread about that. What are the chances it happens? I really don't want to miss out on this version though. :)
rhicks

Post by rhicks »

I always see these threads the day before they go on sale. Yay! I'm there at 9am.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Matt,

Whether or not we can do an H1 Swick serrated hawkbill will depend on the response to the Swick 4. We've been developing the concept for many years. I think we're close on the handle shape, ergos and hole size. The rest depends on the market.

sal
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

sal wrote:Hi Matt,

Whether or not we can do an H1 Swick serrated hawkbill will depend on the response to the Swick 4. We've been developing the concept for many years. I think we're close on the handle shape, ergos and hole size. The rest depends on the market.

sal
Thanks Sal! :) I'm sure the Swick 4 will be a popular knife, and I'm expecting to order one tomorrow. You mentioned being close on the handle shape and ergos, so does this mean it will be a different handle? Anyways, I'm excited to hear more about this, and I'm sure it would sell well. Thanks again Sal!
Matt
angusW

Post by angusW »

@paladin - It's hard to tell and I haven't looked at my Swick 2 in a while, but it looks like there's no jimping on the bottom of the large hole unlike the Swick 2. It could be the picture but it looks like the Swick 4 has a shorter blade and the frame is thicker. Again, that just might be the picture. Also, this one comes with a sheath while the Swick 2 didn't.
sal

Post by sal »

The stock is thicker than the "2", same as the "3".

The hole is larger than the "2" and the handle shape is different. No jimping on the bottom of the hole.

sal
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

angusW wrote:@paladin - It's hard to tell and I haven't looked at my Swick 2 in a while, but it looks like there's no jimping on the bottom of the large hole unlike the Swick 2. It could be the picture but it looks like the Swick 4 has a shorter blade and the frame is thicker. Again, that just might be the picture. Also, this one comes with a sheath while the Swick 2 didn't.
Never mind I found the picture. TazKristi got sneeky.

Today is the day!

djjinksy

Post by djjinksy »

Just ordered mine!! :-D
-Steve
Embassy, Para2, Delica 4 SS, Dragonfly SS/ZDP/Superblue/H1, Native 5 G10, Manix 2 G10, Rescue 79, Swick3, Mule19
rhicks

Post by rhicks »

djjinksy wrote:Just ordered mine!! :-D

Just walked out with two! :p oh and found yet two more things I want. The LUM Tanto black/grn and Pygmy Warrior. Man that Pygmy is wicked in the hand.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I wish I could just walk into the SFO so save on shipping! :)

I ordered a couple of Swick's, and a couple of G-clips I was needing to bring the total over $150 to qualify for free shipping.

Looks like my green/black Lum Tanto is shipping today from Howe's also! Yay!
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

Just ordered mine too :D
rhicks

Post by rhicks »

rodloos wrote: Looks like my green/black Lum Tanto is shipping today from Howe's also! Yay!
Wait until you hold it. Amazing....