Stretch Super Blue

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
A.P.F.

Stretch Super Blue

Post by A.P.F. »

I have my finger on the trigger for a Stretch Super Blue, but I am looking for input as to the practicality of the knife for edc. I generally maintain an edge with a strop. Any input?
Bugout Bill

Re: Stretch Super Blue

Post by Bugout Bill »

Superblue is a very nice steel in my experience. It can be sharpened quickly with basic abrasive (Norton Fine India stone in my case) and takes a sharp edge. Assuming dulling isn't due to rolling or chipping, I don't see why this steel wouldn't respond well to a strop.
" Two guns, flashlight, two 12-gauge cartridges, and a knife because—just because—every little boy should have a knife.." -- Louis Awerbuck on his EDC
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Very nice knife. My review: http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... =2&t=64455" target="_blank
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Do it...fantastic knife.

All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

I certainly find it to be highly enjoyable for edc. I have not used a strop but light touch up on the sharp maker has served me well.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

ohcyclist wrote:I certainly find it to be highly enjoyable for edc. I have not used a strop but light touch up on the sharp maker has served me well.
+1

I find it to be a very practical knife for my EDC and super easy to sharpen. I don't strop though.

Carrying mine today along with my cruwear military and Vic Craftsman.
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

Great knife. The blade shape didn't appeal to me when I first looked at the picture, but I can say that using it it feels like a great shape. Super Blue is awesome as it hold a great edge (not as much as some others but pretty great) and is real easy to touch up.
He's shown here with my cheap Klein folder
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I dont carry my SB stretch at all, its a safe queen being part of my SB set....I love Super Blue, this is what happens every time I use my SB manbug that I carry every day :) :cool: :) :)
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Very nice knife. My review: http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... =2&t=64455" target="_blank
Thanks for the review, Spydie, it was great! And, my thanks to all who answered. I just pulled the trigger on the Stretch Super Blue. I think that it will bump my ZDP Endura. :)
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

For what you've described, perfect knife. Super thin as well, easy to maintain with strop. Plus Superblue
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

I was to late.

Was going to try and talk him out of buying one. At this rate there wont be any left by the time I get around to buying lol.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I tried to EDC a ZDP Stretch for several weeks and finally put it back in the drawer. The blade is just too long for regular EDC use--doing fine work at the tip was unwieldy. I keep going back to a 3" blade as an ideal length for me.

Now, if my use consisted of slicing cardboard all day long...then the Stretch would have been ideal.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

I love my SB Stretch and it is in a 3-4 knife EDC rotation. Just know that with a lot of use, the blade will not be pretty.....BUT, imho SB is fantastic.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

SB is fantastic stuff :D As long as your use doesn't chip or mar the edge a strop keeps the burr pulled out fine for a very sharp edge. Once in a while though if it's used consistently a resharpening will be warranted. Buy the Stretch and enjoy the steel ;)

Charlie
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

pull the trigger great steel and great design, it is around the Endura size but with a larger curve. I don't regret buying it at all even if it doesn't see the light of day often. All my super blues get a special treatment.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
nccole

Post by nccole »

I love the Stretch and love Super Blue. I have a regular Stretch and CF ZDP-189 version and even though I love the CF, the FRN SB might be my favorite. If you like VG-10, I liken SB to supercharged VG-10. SB seems to hold its razor edge longer than any steel I have. That stands out to me more than a steel that holds a working edge for a long time. I also have had no issues with edge stability, plus the patina is cool if you want to let it develop.