Techno ordered

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sharpguitarist

Re: Techno ordered

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey Jack,
It will be worth the wait!
The Techno is an awesome little knife.
The only issue I had with mine was the deep carry clip.
The top turn, at the butt of the knife, created a hot spot in my palm. And, when gripping the knife, the other end of the clip slid over and into the lockbar cut.
I solved both issues by switching clips with my blue lightweight Manix 2 clip.

The fit and finish on my Techno is flawless, and the lockup hasn't moved since I got mine at the first of the year.
Hope you enjoy the knife!
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

YeeHawww! Techno got here about 30 minutes ago. First thing that jumped out at me is the Techno is a little bit bigger than I expected. I was glad to see that. This thing opens and locks up TIGHT. No blade play at all. When pushing the blade sideways it feels very strong. Feels like it would take a lot of twisting before blade play might occur. The edge came acceptable sharp but I think it needs a little work. That's about all I know about the knife so far. At the moment I'm 100% happy and satisfied with the Techno. I like the idea of a smaller knife that is built this tough. Well, it seems like a very tough knife. I'll be cutting everything that can be cut this afternoon, inside and out. :)

I'm assuming the logo on the back side of the blade is Marcin Slysz's who designed the knife.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

When you start cutting with it, I bet you'll be very impressed. Enjoy!
:bug-red-white
LC Kid

Welcome to the Club!

Post by LC Kid »

Hi jackknifeh!

jackknifeh wrote: :) I'm assuming the logo on the back side of the blade is Marcin Slysz's who designed the knife
You're absolutely right: it's Marcin's logo.

And welcome to the club! Congrats for your new Techno! :)

For me it's Plain & Simple one of the Best Knives ever designed and made in the last 10 years.

A true winner, a Grand Slam, no matter what. Redefined the whole EDC Knife concept since then. :cool:
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

jackknifeh wrote:The edge came acceptable sharp but I think it needs a little work.
Well, the edge needed more than a little work. I got the edge cutting nicely but the bevel angles were too high (for me). Spent some time re-profiling the edge and it's really cutting good now. I cut some cardboard and while it cut good I could tell the difference the thicker blade makes. One thing that I find helps when cutting cardboard is to angle the knife. Instead of the blade being at a 90 degree angle with the cardboard when we lower the handle the blade being at 45 degrees or so the blade slices better because the cardboard is separated easier. This makes the thickness of the blade matter less. Holding any knife at an angle makes it easier to cut cardboard but especially a knife with a 4.5 mm spine. Now that I have the edge profiled more to my liking I can work on removing a scratch pattern and polishing the bevels.

The Techno feels good in my hand. At first glance I was concerned about my index finger getting cut. Without a finger choil I'm thinking it would be easy to place my finger on the heel of the edge. After using it a little bit now I don't see that happening unless it is complete carelessness. When cutting harder material (like wood) I appreciate the wider spine. Much more comfortable for my thumb. I also like the larger jimping. Some of the jimping with very tiny "jimps" (:)) can be rough on my thumb.

This is the first frame lock knife I've owned. As far as every day use I don't see any difference in this and a liner lock. The titanium handle and lock bar is harder to push to the side to release the lock than any liner lock knife I've used. The pivot came nice and snug. Too snug IMO compared to what I used to like. Easier opening and closing was important to me. Now I'd rather have the opening be a little snug. I like it when the blade stays where I leave it when not closed or locked no matter how I hold the knife. Some Spyderco pivots are so smooth and perfect the blade can just fall and dangle, swinging back and forth when the lock is released. Manix2 knives are known for this. PM2's also I believe. Now I prefer the pivot be just snug enough so there is no free moving of the blade. Also, I like the more secure "feeling" I get when the knife is locked and the pivot is snug. That is just personal preference.

I've always respected small knives that are tough. The Techno is the strongest feeling knife of this size I've ever held. Just as solid as a GB or Manix2 IMO. So I'm very excited to have this knife. Haven't had time to use it except for cutting a little cardboard and a couple of sticks off a tree. I would recommend the Techno to anyone. :D

Jack
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I forgot to say I love the stonewash on the handle and the blade. It even looks like the wire clip is stonewashed.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Great Jack, I'm loving it, keep it coming.
:) May I ask(when it's convenient) could you post a picture of the Techno in your open hand. I'm working up to getting one. :confused:
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

That's great! I will put this on my next buy list. Perhaps around Christmas. I have been on and off about this knife.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

gull wing wrote:Great Jack, I'm loving it, keep it coming.
:) May I ask(when it's convenient) could you post a picture of the Techno in your open hand. I'm working up to getting one. :confused:
Here ya go.

Shows where the end of the handle is.

With D'fly2 and Stretch
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Super Jack, you know exactly what to show in your shots.
BTW, is yours a Small, Medium, or Large hand?
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

gull wing wrote:Super Jack, you know exactly what to show in your shots.
BTW, is yours a Small, Medium, or Large hand?
I think my hands are big medium's or little large's. :) I can't wear a "medium" glove.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

I can hold this knife. :D
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Oh, Jack do you like it better than the Sage 2?
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

gull wing wrote:Oh, Jack do you like it better than the Sage 2?
I've never owned a Sage2 but after a few days with the Techno I'd imagine the Sage2 is a VERY strong knife. The Sage blade is not as thick but other than that it's very close to being a bigger Techno. I say that never having used a Sage2 so I may be way off.

Jack
Barkdog

Post by Barkdog »

Thanks for all the comments on this thread. It... and a few other threads... led me to join the club. My Techno is now on order, too!

I considered holding out for the Chubby -- it sure looks like a winner, too. In the end, though, I'm more drawn to the overall "look" of the techno, which looks a little more sheeple-friendly to me. And I value the chance to give the CTS XHP a run. I also see using the Techno for breaking down boxes quite a bit, and I've found I prefer a less pointy tip for that (it helps me slide the blade in to pry open a glued flap, without accidentally cutting in to the cardboard when I don't want to). Don't let this be a thread hijack, but any other Chubby vs. Techno thoughts? I'm sure I'll wind up with both eventually. :)
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I can't remember what steel the Chubby is using, was it S30V? What I can say is that the Techno holds an edge for a very respectable amount of time and it takes a nice edge, as well. S30V takes a different edge, it's a fine steel but one of my lesser favorites. CTS-XHP is a tremendous EDC steel IMHO.

I will get a Chubby just because...no other real reason and will do a good comparison then. The Techno is a knife that I always come back to. Even if you get the Chubby, it's likely a good idea to still pick up the Techno. The unique blade shape, aesthetics, size, and respectable performance make it a great all-around EDC option. I have actually used it to pry quite a bit, something I never typically do with a folder. It's really a cool knife.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

sharpguitarist wrote:Hey Jack,
It will be worth the wait!
The Techno is an awesome little knife.
The only issue I had with mine was the deep carry clip.
The top turn, at the butt of the knife, created a hot spot in my palm. And, when gripping the knife, the other end of the clip slid over and into the lockbar cut.
I solved both issues by switching clips with my blue lightweight Manix 2 clip.

The fit and finish on my Techno is flawless, and the lockup hasn't moved since I got mine at the first of the year.
Hope you enjoy the knife!
Later,
Don
I'm enjoying this knife immensly. :D

I might like a clip like yours on my Techno. I either need to buy a clip or buy a Manix2 and swap clips. :) Raising the butt of the handle when it's clipped in my pocket might make it easier to get out. I have considered a FOB also. I CAN'T FIND MY FOBS!!! I have a small zip lock bag with 5-10 FOBs but where it is I have no idea. I'll tie a "hangsman-noose" FOB for now with black paracord.
Clip

Post by Clip »

I think I'll carry mine tomorrow thanks to this thread's inspiration. When I hold it I imagine it to be a nice sized rock that's been tumbled for near eternity in a river or shore. Feels so smooth and solid!
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Jack,
How are you with the Techno? Anything to report/
Titanium

Post by Titanium »

/Users/jorgequintero/Desktop/IMG_3352.JP
Attachments
Techno.jpg