Why no manix 2 XL combo edge?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderHS08

Why no manix 2 XL combo edge?

Post by spyderHS08 »

What's up guys,

Just wondering why spyderco hasn't produced an xl in combo edge? Or did they do a run at some point? Right now I have the original manix 2, satin, hollow ground 154cm combo edge and I really want to get the updated version with a black cbbl, satin ffg s30v combo edge but don't want to "buy the same knife" persay.....so I really wish they made this variant in the XL so I could try one of those out. And yes yes i understand its not really the same knife but im sure you see my point lol. and I know alot of you guys hate the combo edge but I am one of the few that love it, especially when it's ffg combo edge :D . Anyway, just fishing for some others thoughts on this and hope to see one at some point! Maybe sal or kristi will chime in if its in the plans to produce. I also own an orange ffg manix 2, so another reason I'd like to try an xl but I'd rather it not be plain edge.

Thanks for reading,

-Harry
Surfingringo

Re: Why no manix 2 XL combo edge?

Post by Surfingringo »

spyderHS08 wrote:What's up guys,

Just wondering why spyderco hasn't produced an xl in combo edge? Or did they do a run at some point? Right now I have the original manix 2, satin, hollow ground 154cm combo edge and I really want to get the updated version with a black cbbl, satin ffg s30v combo edge but don't want to "buy the same knife" persay.....so I really wish they made this variant in the XL so I could try one of those out. And yes yes i understand its not really the same knife but im sure you see my point lol. and I know alot of you guys hate the combo edge but I am one of the few that love it, especially when it's ffg combo edge :D . Anyway, just fishing for some others thoughts on this and hope to see one at some point! Maybe sal or kristi will chime in if its in the plans to produce. I also own an orange ffg manix 2, so another reason I'd like to try an xl but I'd rather it not be plain edge.

Thanks for reading,

-Harry
Hey Harry, I think you probably answered your own question. The combo edges seem to be disappearing and I can only guess that it is due to lack of demand. I'm with you though. I hate to see them become harder and harder to find because I find it to be a very useful blade on a larger knife like the xl or Millie. It's not a configuration I would choose on most of my knives but I like having the option to have a few combo edges.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The Manix XL has such great ergos, I can see why you would want that option.
I prolly EDC the Manix XL more than any other Spydie I have. Its rides just fine in the pocket for me. I like it a lot. :)
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I would definately be in on a CE Manix XL, my millie CE is a go too yard work knife. This length of blade is ideal for CE's. The Manix XL is a fantastic knife but sized out of an EDC for me, camping or around the house it is a winner.

It is unfortunately a dying breed, sad for those of us that appreciate it. PARA 2 CE as well please.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

What I would like to see in the pm2 is a serrated edge with a good bit of pe at the tip. 3/4" or so. Pretty much like the original serrated paramilitary. I would prefer that to a 50/50 ce on a blade that size
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Surfingringo wrote:What I would like to see in the pm2 is a serrated edge with a good bit of pe at the tip. 3/4" or so. Pretty much like the original serrated paramilitary. I would prefer that to a 50/50 ce on a blade that size

Like the CE on the Native. I have been wanting one of those.
endgame

Post by endgame »

I would rather have spyderedge like on my reg m2.that thing can handle anything you throw at it.there is a half inch of straight edge on the front of the blade that I use for finner cuts.they used to make all spyderco with the spyderedge.they same way the combo.I also want a pm2 and a yojimbo 2 in spyderedge.thats a deadly yojimbo!
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

akaAK wrote:I would definately be in on a CE Manix XL, my millie CE is a go too yard work knife. This length of blade is ideal for CE's. The Manix XL is a fantastic knife but sized out of an EDC for me, camping or around the house it is a winner.

It is unfortunately a dying breed, sad for those of us that appreciate it. PARA 2 CE as well please.
Exactly my thoughts, when a knife is this big and combo edge, you have plenty of usable serrations and plain edge. Hopefully spyderco does a sprint or batch of them for us combo edge lovers. It can't be that much harder to produce a few hundred with serrations :D. I know they would sell!
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Surfingringo wrote:What I would like to see in the pm2 is a serrated edge with a good bit of pe at the tip. 3/4" or so. Pretty much like the original serrated paramilitary. I would prefer that to a 50/50 ce on a blade that size
I could live with that if it meant being able to get SE on a Para.
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

I just want to say I too prefer combo edges. This my 80mm Mini Manix. I have a 2nd generation Manix 2 - also with a combo edge.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

There really should be a big serrated folder just for yardwork. Manix 2 XL would work, though maybe a recurve would be appropriate.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

aquaman67 wrote:Image

I just want to say I too prefer combo edges. This my 80mm Mini Manix. I have a 2nd generation Manix 2 - also with a combo edge.
Lookin good! Man if I could find one of those for a decent price I would quit my whining lol. Only reason I'm asking for a manix 2 XL combo edge is because it's new and different than my current manix2s. But I would love an original mini manix combo edge!

And zhyla exactly my thoughts, a good beefy knife for yard work and hard use that has some teeth when you need them!
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

I will never understand how people can really like combo and serrated edges, unless their job requires the need of a serrated edge in which case a full serrated edge is much better suited.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Strong-Dog wrote:I will never understand how people can really like combo and serrated edges, unless their job requires the need of a serrated edge in which case a full serrated edge is much better suited.
I could never understand it either until I started using them. A very sharp se is a real joy to use for a LOT of cutting tasks. I didn't realize just how much better it could be at certain jobs until I really started using one.

I get where you are coming from though...I'm not one of those who thinks they are the right blade for every job and I would not want to carry one as my only edc blade. You are right that it all depends on what job you are doing. As far as a full se being better, yeah, that's often the case but we've already agreed that a se isn't perfect for everything, hence the desire for combo edges. As I said earlier, I think the best ce is a 75/25 serrated. Call it a ce or call it a full serrated with a bit more pe at the end. Either way it is a very capable blade for a plethora of tasks.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

My C95 is combo edge but not by choice. I happened on one at a good price and couldn't pass it up. Same thing with my Chinook 2. Person i would prefer full serrations. The main thing that causes products to be dropped from spyderco is sales. If the model doesn't sell well it's dropped. A lot of people are hoping to see a SE para2 but that hasn't happened yet either. Luckily I found a "used" para 1 for 75 in SE.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Strong-Dog wrote:I will never understand how people can really like combo and serrated edges, unless their job requires the need of a serrated edge in which case a full serrated edge is much better suited.
Yeah, I guess its hard to understand if you don't use your knife for purposes that require serrations. A CE millie lets me cut trimmer line, prune plants, seperate roots, cut sod, cut plastic pots, harvest vegatables while maintaining a plain edge for other tasks more suited to that type of edge, like grafting, opening packages, fine pruning etc. I am not sure how you make the determination that a SE is better than a CE when you don't understand why people "like" them. It isn't about like, its about actual real world use and I would , in some circumstances not all, rather use a CE. Day to day I carry a small plain edge (Dfly, Chaparral, G10 Manbug) cause I work in an office and those handle my "office" needs.

Right tool for the job is applicable in this instance.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I typically prefer a PE :spyder:... that said, large :spyder:s, such as the original Spyderco C95 Manix, Spyderco Military, or Spyderco Endura, have sufficient blade length to make CE practical, and a Spyderco Maxix 2 XL in CE would be pretty nice, sufficient, and practical.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

I am a huge fan of CE knives. A FFG XL MANIX 2 CE would be awesome.
v8r

Post by v8r »

I would be down for one myself. I'm a combo edge fan as long as the blade is long enough.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Water Bug wrote:I typically prefer a PE :spyder:... that said, large :spyder:s, such as the original Spyderco C95 Manix, Spyderco Military, or Spyderco Endura, have sufficient blade length to make CE practical, and a Spyderco Maxix 2 XL in CE would be pretty nice, sufficient, and practical.
Very well said! I definitely like the combo edges on larger blades. :spyder: