Spyderco/Farid K2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
faridknives

Re: Spyderco/Farid K2

Post by faridknives »

sal wrote:I'm not Farid, but I'll share. Farid said he wanted a folding knife that would be large enough for many tasks, be reliable if away from support (out doors for a long time) and have good edge retention as sharpening equipment might not be easily available. He felt the combination of blade shape, Titanium, (for lighter and stronger) "Reeve-Integral-Lock" and 10V would provide the best options for this situation.

sal

Sal is 100% correct, we talked about choices of materials extensively and 10v is the right choice for a high performance tool.
faridknives

Post by faridknives »

Ankerson wrote:
sal wrote:I'm not Farid, but I'll share. Farid said he wanted a folding knife that would be large enough for many tasks, be reliable if away from support (out doors for a long time) and have good edge retention as sharpening equipment might not be easily available. He felt the combination of blade shape, Titanium, (for lighter and stronger) "Reeve-Integral-Lock" and 10V would provide the best options for this situation.

sal

Hi Sal,

I concur. :)

Having tested a number of different A11 steels personally I don't see any problems choosing CPM 10V.

Jim
Jim we have been friends for a long time and we both have used high end steels and done more testing than most people in this industry at the end of the day, the 10v K2 is not a tool you would put through a car door, it is not a tool you would abuse, it is on the other hand a precision manufactured high performance cutting tool made of some of the best materials available to us.
Farid
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Philo Beddoe wrote:I don't think Farid or anyone else owes anyone a explanation..
You don't believe that a manufacturer should provide the ELU a description of what a product they are promoting was designed to do? I highly doubt if you walked into a store and asked that question and you got the answer "I don't need to tell you, buy the product if you want to know what it does." that you would (a) buy the product, and (b) think it was a perfectly reasonable answer.

This is the kind of argument that is only made in heavy exclusion and always shows special pleading.
jennecarter

Post by jennecarter »

They're not so much sharp. But the curves are very defined so they might fit your hand well or not. But it's just dependent on where the curves hit your hands. it is a pretty sweet knife if I could put it in my pocket comfortably.
faridknives

Post by faridknives »

Sal and I have made it quite clear the reasons these material choices were made.
That's all.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

sal wrote:I'm not Farid, but I'll share.

Sal, thanks. This really isn't something that stands out to me for reasons noted in the above, but as always I appreciate your direction.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Despite this being an obviously higher end Spyderco this will sell faster than Sal can get them shipped to us. It will be a feeding frenzy! :)
Despite medical bills and Finn's( the real mastiff) even more expensive needs I'm going to do my best to get one. I have already talked to Knifecenter about getting a pre- order going ( with me at the top of the list naturally, a favor I don't mind asking for after 9 years of being a good customer). The only thing they lack is a stock number apparently and they will be getting one soon hopefully.

Excellent materials, top of the line craftsmanship quality and Farid's excellent, strong and long lasting design and 10V ran how it should be means guaranteed chaos and complaints from folks trying to get one and worrying they won't. Hope you guys make a boat load. :)

It may not be to everyone's taste but I've been around long enough to be pretty good at picking which ones will be hot items and I see all the signs that the market will receive it very well indeed.

joe
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Hi Farid, I was just wondering if you have had a chance to test your version of the knife yet? I know 10v has very good edge retention but how is it to sharpen and what angle do you recommend? Also I was wondering if you could tell us how the knife feels in hand? I was wondering if you were working with sweaty hands if that would affect your grip on the handle?

Sorry for so many questions :)

Please feel free to post more photo's :D
faridknives

Post by faridknives »

Johnnie1801 wrote:Hi Farid, I was just wondering if you have had a chance to test your version of the knife yet? I know 10v has very good edge retention but how is it to sharpen and what angle do you recommend? Also I was wondering if you could tell us how the knife feels in hand? I was wondering if you were working with sweaty hands if that would affect your grip on the handle?

I am going to try and do some tests in a week time, I am not able to walk around much after my surgery two days ago but I am going to take a few days and recover then do some cutting with it, in the meantime please take a look at this youtube clip of me using a CPM-10v competition chopper I made some time back, I will have to say I do not recommend this kind of abuse as knives are the wrong tools to use to chop 5/8” round copper pipe with but I love to test my knives, also this chopper had a thick convex edge not what I call a competition edge which needs to be very thin.
The k2 feels very comfortable in the hand due to the fact it is long enough to accommodate large hands, also for sweaty hands it is also wide enough so it doesn’t twist in the hand. To what angle you can sharpen I cannot say because it can be subjective, here is what I would like to say on that subject, if you are only going to use it for light cutting you can go shallow on your final edge, I would recommend you try the standard edge and then try giving it a rolled edge like a convex edge, take it very fine and take your time polishing the final edge to a mirror finish.
I hope this helps you.

This CPM-10v test was back in 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcCjUOp5F2U" target="_blank
faridknives

Post by faridknives »

Johnnie1801 wrote:Hi Farid, I was just wondering if you have had a chance to test your version of the knife yet? I know 10v has very good edge retention but how is it to sharpen and what angle do you recommend? Also I was wondering if you could tell us how the knife feels in hand? I was wondering if you were working with sweaty hands if that would affect your grip on the handle?

I'll put more pics up in a few minutes.
faridknives

Post by faridknives »

faridknives

Post by faridknives »

The grind is just perfect on this, it is a very high quality knife.
Studey

Post by Studey »

Farid, this looks like quite the nice knife!
faridknives

Post by faridknives »

Studey wrote:Farid, this looks like quite the nice knife!
The build quality is just perfect, the edge is thin enough if users wanted to re-profile it they would be able to in a matter of minutes, I always recommend that you first use the factory edge and see what you think, it came out of the box shaving sharp.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Lol, that K2 is off the chain!
CPM 10V? Sal, Farid and Spyderco
have hit a Grand Slam imo.
I realize my opinion means little as
I'm not that experienced, but there's no
denying the K2. I really look forward to more
and more collab's from Sal and Farid.
faridknives

Post by faridknives »

MacLaren wrote:Lol, that K2 is off the chain!
CPM 10V? Sal, Farid and Spyderco
have hit a Grand Slam imo.
I realize my opinion means little as
I'm not that experienced, but there's no
denying the K2. I really look forward to more
and more collab's from Sal and Farid.

Thank you Paul.
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Farid!

And THX Much for these Fantastic Pics!

F&F looks superb, the whole chamfered contours and the stonewashed finish and the blade grind are second to none.

A Grand Slam for sure, no matter what. :cool:

Look forward your Test Pics. :)
faridknives

Post by faridknives »

LC Kid wrote:Hi Farid!

And THX Much for these Fantastic Pics!

F&F looks superb, the whole chamfered contours and the stonewashed finish and the blade grind are second to none.

A Grand Slam for sure, no matter what. :cool:

Look forward your Test Pics. :)
Your support is much appreciated, thank you.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

The K2 design is a very nice design, to say the least.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Just wow.

There is so much going on with the blade shape to all the nice work on the titanium around the lock release and the pocket clip relief.

Did I mention how I am a fan of large knives?

I do have to admit I know nothing about 10V though. I am sure it is better then the AUS-8 I have on my current knife but am curious about the properties none the less.

I am sure I just missed it but release date?
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.