Techno ordered

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jackknifeh

Techno ordered

Post by jackknifeh »

Just ordered the Techno which I've been wanting for quite a while. Read lots of good things about it. The only things said that were negative were things you could classify as personal preference. So I'll see how the knife falls into my personal preferences. Looking forward to getting it to see. :) In the meantime I'd like to hear good things about the knife to get me even more excited. :)

BTW: I've been out of pocket for a while. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE FORUM SITE?!!! :D

Jack
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Techno ordered

Post by Doc Dan »

I would be interested in your input about the Techno as I have wavered between buying and not buying for a good while. I cannot make up my mind on this one.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Very excited to here your thought on it. I borrowed 3rdGenRigger's techno for a bit and it really impressed me, but i never ended up keeping one because i could think of a time when i would want it over my chaparral
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Good move!

Beautifully made and finished, it makes all my other knives seem a bit "budget"... thick bladed but a pretty good slicer, and a useful size... solid in the hand and pocket, but not overweight.... smooth pivot and solid lock ... hasn't needed sharpening yet ... it really is a high-end Spyderco.
knolan

Post by knolan »

After around 18mos. of almost exclusive carry, I feel I truly stumbled upon my all-time favorite EDC folder in the Techno! It genuinely holds it's own in build quality and looks with customs. I posted the following on this forum about a year ago, and my assessment is still the same today...

"I think the reason this knife doesn't have a more rabid fan base (although most who try it seem to latch on to it like grim death), is that it is such a seemingly unlikely top EDC candidate on paper with it's 4.5mm thick, 2.5" long blade and chunky profile it just doesn't fit most peoples idea of the ideal EDC blade, and although an interesting package...many pass on it w/o realizing what they're missing.

Upon trying it however...wow...it cuts and slices better than anyone could imagine and holds an unbelievable edge for what seems like forever! It opens with authority (or slowly if one prefers) and has the most appealing tool like character with it's completely immaculate stonewash finish that is usually reserved for Ti framelock customs, only in some cases the Techno has a better F&F, warranty, and certainly better availability and street prices.

Each day since I bought mine, I continue to find it surprising that it is still available at all...let alone at such bargain basement prices?!"

I realize this is not going to be everyone's fave folder, but for someone looking for a very high quality build, F & F, and overall hefty cool factor thrown in...the Techno may be your perfect EDC knife! P.S. Due to it's stonewash finish, it still looks virtually new!! (And...the lockbar has not moved at all, that I can detect).
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Strange to say, this thing, the W-E-D-G-E now at the bottom of my LFP called the Techno, can do just about any kind of cutting with ease, except work requiring long and steady strokes (as in some bushcraft) where the Techno's pronounced belly (ideal for skinning and meat-processing) makes it a tad unsteady on the the work. And it easily holds the 20 DPS working edge, if not the hair-popping edge, my Sharpmaker gives it. I removed the clip (out of proportion to the mass of the knife IMO) and the scratch-prone stonewash (with Flitz) to get at my preferred satin finish. I think you have made a great choice, Jack, and I look forward to your impressions.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
texashawk50

Post by texashawk50 »

I love my techno. I have had it in my watch pocket as a backup to my military. My poor little dragon flys now sit put up in the closet. Great, great little big knife.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I love the way the blue spacer looks against the grey titanium. This knife also has one of my favorite steels, CTS-XHP. (now, if they were only $50...)
What I wonder is 1] how comfortable it actually is in the hand 2] if the lock fails, is it designed (like the Cat, Chap, Delica, et. al) to not cut your fingers 3] if dropped in a pocket does it ride well, or does it sit there like a roll of quarters 4] beyond all the hype, how does it actually perform in daily cutting chores like apples, mail, etc.?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Good move, Jack. You made a wise decision. The Techno actually took me by surprise the first time I held it. Despite its smaller size and heft, this knife is exceptionally well-designed and comfortable in the hand and in the pocket. Let us know what you think when you get yours.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Doc Dan wrote:I love the way the blue spacer looks against the grey titanium. This knife also has one of my favorite steels, CTS-XHP. (now, if they were only $50...)
What I wonder is 1] how comfortable it actually is in the hand 2] if the lock fails, is it designed (like the Cat, Chap, Delica, et. al) to not cut your fingers 3] if dropped in a pocket does it ride well, or does it sit there like a roll of quarters 4] beyond all the hype, how does it actually perform in daily cutting chores like apples, mail, etc.?
First, I find mine to be very comfortable in hand despite my medium-large hands and lack of a finger choil which I tend to be drawn towards. Second, there is a small amount of tang that might prevent cutting of your fingers depending on how meaty they are. A knife with a choil will always be better in this regard, but it doesn't concern me in the least because the lockbar is quite stiff and I can't see myself putting force on the spine anyways. Third, I don't carry mine in the bottom of my pocket but it rides really well with the pocket clip. It's not too heavy, and not too thick because it doesn't have liners. I frequently carry mine in the watch pocket of my jeans above a larger Spyderco and it's perfect for this. Lastly, it will do food prep, but it's a little on the short side to excel at it. You can make it work, but something like a Domino/Caly/PM2/Millie will naturally be a lot better.

For the OP...it's truly a spectacular knife, and the comments regarding the near perfect fit and finish are spot on. Another thing that I've found about it is that it's very sheeple friendly...which also lends itself well to pairing with a larger Spyderco if you need a knife when among the sheeple. Enjoy your Techno!
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

The Techno is my favorite knife, probably. It doesn't look like a great performer, but for my EDC tasks, it cuts everything really well. It's deceptively good. The ergs, for how I hold it, are perfect and it can be easily flicked open and stored just as easily with the wire clip. The wire clip's edge retention could probably be a tiny bit better, but that's my only nitpick. I might buy another one day just because I'd hate to lose the one I have. I never do that.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The Techno cuts way better than it looks like it should. I've cut lots of cardboard with it, and it eats it up. It's beautiful to look at with its stonewashed titanium and perfect fit and finish. You're in for a treat! Let us know your impressions when you get it.

:bug-red-white
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Jack, I'll be waiting for your report with great interest.
I like the looks of the knife but had concerns about the length, ( being too short.)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

jackknifeh wrote:Just ordered the Techno which I've been wanting for quite a while. Read lots of good things about it. The only things said that were negative were things you could classify as personal preference. So I'll see how the knife falls into my personal preferences. Looking forward to getting it to see. :) In the meantime I'd like to hear good things about the knife to get me even more excited. :)

BTW: I've been out of pocket for a while. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE FORUM SITE?!!! :D

Jack
Jack that's probably 95% of all negativity towards any knife, while that other 5% might be actual facts about quality/F&F/etc. It's a knife that just isn't for me but I wouldn't say it's a bad knife by any means.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Jack, where ya been? And yeah, the forum changed a bit.
- best wishes, Jazz.
mark jeneson

Post by mark jeneson »

My favorite Spydie owned thus far. Never leaves my pocket. So well built. So well finished. Retains razor status for what seems like months. Aesthetics galore. It's definitely small. Throw a lanyard and a bead on it. You may find it's not spectacular at cutting apples as the blade stock is thick and it has a 2.5 inch edge.
Kylems11

Post by Kylems11 »

I just bought one about 2 weeks ago. For a while i never really had interest in it. But then one day i watched a youtube video on it and decided to give it a shot. Its been in my pocket ever since. Love it, its my new favorite knife. Feels great in hand. Super smooth action. Fit and finish is top notch(just like all taichung spydercos). Great steel. My favorite wire clip. Lockup on mine about 50% but very easy to dis engage. The one complaint i had at first was it was hard to flick because of how the whole and the front scale meet. But after you play with it a bit youll get the hang of flicking it just the right way. Now it flicks super smooth with the thumb flick or middle finger flick. Cant stop playing with it.This thing is built like a tank. Solid lockup no play at all,evan if you mustle it. Ive been carrying this over my southard, para2 and other benchmades i edc. I dont see myself taking this one out of my pocket for a while, thats just how good a knife it is.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Man, I really want to like this knife. I've handled one twice and I love the heft, materials, quality and finish. The knife just doesn't sit right in my hand though. Oh well. Maybe the upcoming Chubby will fit me better.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I got the techno since early last week orso. And i can tell you after i used it for a few days i sold my native 5 edc to my brother and i have not even missed it 1 second..
Man oh man the techno is one a **** of a knife... :)
I tried to resist it for months but now im so dissapointed in myself for not buying it earlyer.
The craftmenship , design , everything about it makes me think custom and makes me want a second one. (But first i'm going for the big brother the bowie and then the Rubicon... Those need my funding first ;). )
And i must say this is for me the most perfect little big knife spyderco ever made! ( Thank you Spyderco crew! )
The blade is so strong and still works like a scalpel ,when you cut with it it feels like youre cutting air.
The lock ( my first framelock ) Is perfectly made it shuts like a bankvault.
Overall this folder for me is worth a hundered times it's weight in gold :eek:
And maybe the strongest selling point for the techno in my case, why everyone should have one.
Even with the higher price you can not tuck it away in a collection it glues on you when you open it for the first time and it will not lett you go and screams USE mee :D
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Still waiting for the mailman to deliver the knife. :( For some reason my Techno didn't arrive yesterday which it was scheduled as the delivery date by USPS. Hopefully I'll get my hands on it tomorrow (Monday). :)