Zulu

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Zulu

Post by Officer Gigglez »

I noticed a retailer had one, and I was curious of what the general consensus is on it. I'm trying to decide on it or a Junior, before they're all gone.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I don't have either, but the Junior is higher on my list
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
paladin

Post by paladin »

get 'em both...you eventually will anyway

Both are great...

Zulu = incredibly smooth liner action & the macro G10 scales are a work of art on their own...no other knife like it on the market

Junior = also a very unique Spyder, compression lock, good ergos

both are cherished safe queens because I don't want to dull the Zulu and the Junior's wide spear point is not well suited to my EDC needs!
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
nccole

Post by nccole »

I have both, and really like both. They were both ones I checked out for a while and appreciated due to their uniqueness and the fact that they are collaborations. If I were to pick only one, I would say get the Zulu. It is so smooth, and the handles are really cool. The beauty of the blade grinds have to be seen in person to be appreciated. The Zulu is a work of art that doubles as a knife, and the Junior is a true working functional knife. The Compression Lock on the Junior is purposely designed to not allow the blade to freely fall close like the PM2 will, so it is not as fun to play with :D

Officer Gigglez

I appreciate the feedback. I went with the Junior, mainly because the Zulu just didn't appeal to me as far as ergonomics go. Also, I agree that the Zulu is a beautiful piece of art, so I opted to stay away from it because I didn't want to abuse something so pretty. The Junior certainly is a unique look too, but I'd feel a bit less guilty abusing it, as it has a working knife appearance to it, if that makes any sense.
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Resilience
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Officer Gigglez wrote: went with the Junior, mainly because the Zulu just didn't appeal to me as far as ergonomics go.
The ergonomics on the Zulu may surprise you. It looks weird but it has a very comfortable grip and puts your hand in a good cutting position. It's a good knife to have if you can get one.
Parhelion

Post by Parhelion »

I don`t have a Junior, but Zulu is in my top 3. Just my opinion.
Andre

Post by Andre »

I also don't own a junior, but i have a zulu. This is really a blade you need to use to appreciate it.
In my opinion, the junior is just one in a dozen. The handle is cool but just doesn't speak to me. As for the blade shape, it's just a kind of leaf shaped / spear point blade.
The zulu feels unique. However some people just don't like the blade shape. In my opinion if you like a tanto blade, you're pretty safe. The zulu feels like a tanto crossed with a scimitar to me.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I bought a Junior but don't have a Zulu. I really like Dialex's little knife and believed it would be easier to carry mainly due to being thinner with a more functional blade (on average).

Since I don't carry it much (or most my knives :p ) maybe the Zulu would have been better. It's certainly more intriguing! Let us know what you end up getting :) .
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I only own the Zulu and the only thing i can say about it is OMG!! If you have it in youre hands it fits like it was made for youre own hand. And the fit and finish are just superb.
Also the blade is in pictures a little weard looking but if you look at it in person it's just lovely (and sharp as **** :D ).
Barkdog

Post by Barkdog »

Just received my Zulu - and I'm blown away. First off, I was concerned it could be 'too thick' of a handle. Not so... it feels on par with my PM2. And it's even better looking in person!! Truly a unique work of art -- it feels like what it is (a 'designer' knife). The biggest surprise for me, though, was the ergos. I have solid medium-sized hands, and it's perfect. I like the grip better than the Delica... feels more "locked in." Only downside I could see is that if you have truly large hands, it could be a little awkward.

If it were just a tiny bit smaller handle, I could see it being a perfect gent's knife for me. As it is, it'll be my no. 1 knife for weekends/social occasions where I want something interesting but not too large. (I don't see using it for heavy work, for me -- but it could handle some).
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

It happens that I'm carrying mine today. When I first held the Zulu at a dealer, I wasn't too impressed, so passed on it. Once it was discontinued, I picked one up on sale, thinking I would add it to the collection but probably wouldn't carry it often. Boy was I wrong! Not only is it one of the coolest looking knives I have, but I ended up liking how it fit my hand as well. I'm glad I got one while they were affordable!

-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Barkdog

Post by Barkdog »

Awesome photo! Love the reflection.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

For me the handle is too fat on the back and the blade shape is too "wild" for me. The fit and finish is awesome but it was just not for me.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
VeloWeave

Post by VeloWeave »

Officer Gigglez wrote:I went with the Junior, mainly because the Zulu just didn't appeal to me as far as ergonomics go.
I have the Zulu and would have to say that it's ergonomics arguably stand above any modern folder that I have handled. It's just ergonomically perfect both in the hand and during use. The blade shape and handle offer utility that most folders just cannot match.
Most Carried: Sebenza Insingo small, Chaparral, Modded Southard Flipper, Delica 4, Ritter Mini-Grip, Techno, Injection 3.0
Wishlist 2014: Sage 2, Mnandi, Krein Alpha,
Other's I own or have sold: Vallotton, Anso Zulu, Blur CF, Scallion, Leaf Storm, Sage 2, Caly 3 CF
Flashlight EDC: Preon 0, Peak Eiger AAA Oveready edition with QTC & momentary button Nichia 219 emitter, Beta-QR, Muyshondt Aeon
Officer Gigglez

VeloWeave wrote:I have the Zulu and would have to say that it's ergonomics arguably stand above any modern folder that I have handled. It's just ergonomically perfect both in the hand and during use. The blade shape and handle offer utility that most folders just cannot match.
This is what everyone has been saying. And its frustrating because now I feel like I need to hunt one down!
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Resilience
paladin

Post by paladin »

paladin wrote:get 'em both...you eventually will anyway...
I am not usually one to say "I told you so!" but...
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
B#GuitarMan

Post by B#GuitarMan »

I have a 'Zulu' and I carry it half of the time. Great fit and finish and light weight. Great conversation piece too! I love mine! Guess I better update my signature below to show a lot of the new knives I've bought!
Spyderco: Persistence, Tenacious, Manix2 Blue Lightweight, Dragonfly, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Endura Orange FRN. Hopefully many more Spydercos to come.

Byrd: Cara Cara Rescue2, Meadowlark2 Stainless Black, Wings.

Other: Leatherman Micra, Bucktool 360, Assorted SAK's, My dad's old fixed blade!

[CENTER]Don't forget to always be sharp (B#)[/CENTER]
VeloWeave

Re:

Post by VeloWeave »

Officer Gigglez, I hope you were able to find one? If so what price are they going for these days?
Officer Gigglez wrote:
VeloWeave wrote:I have the Zulu and would have to say that it's ergonomics arguably stand above any modern folder that I have handled. It's just ergonomically perfect both in the hand and during use. The blade shape and handle offer utility that most folders just cannot match.
This is what everyone has been saying. And its frustrating because now I feel like I need to hunt one down!
senorsquare

Re: Re:

Post by senorsquare »

VeloWeave wrote:Officer Gigglez, I hope you were able to find one? If so what price are they going for these days?
I just picked up a used one for $100. BBS had one listed for $146.