Best Law Enforcement knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
eldiablojoe

Best Law Enforcement knife?

Post by eldiablojoe »

Is this the right place to ask a "What knife should I get?" question? I hope so, I don't want to run afoul of forum posting rules or customs.

I am looking for a law enforcement knife. This cannot be a double-edged blade (no dirk or dagger). I would prefer a black blade and a black or olive drab handle. Ideally I would like a combination blade, plain edge/serration. Also, I would like one that could be easily held onto (think: Bloody, slippery weapon usage, not pocket riding trophy knife/occasional tool). I do not want my hand to go sliding right on up the blade when it hits resistance in a stabbing action.

The bayou shooter looks pretty good, but I wish it was offered or customized with a combination blade. The Endura is pretty much what I would like, but ideally a size between it and the Delica would be nice. I am confused by the differences between those two models and the military or other similar blades.

Thanks for entertaining my questions and offering your insight and experience.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Best Law Enforcement knife?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Black on black para2 is in between a delica and an endura but with a different lock and g10 and a different steel and made in golden and with a thicker blade. It comes in combo edge. It excels as both a utility knife and a SD knife. I am not law enforcement or even close to it. This is just my opinion based on what I like and the blade shapes and sizes and color and edge you referenced.
bearfacedkiller

There is a police model but it is larger than an endura and does not come with a black blade. It does come in black g10 as the police3.
eldiablojoe

Post by eldiablojoe »

Bearfaced, I checked Cuttlery Shoppe for the Paramilitry 2. Looks great, but on backorder and not taking current orders. I am not willing to go full price somewhere else. Plus it looks like it has one of those closers where you have to reach into the handle to depress the latch to close. I really like the closing latch on the back spine of the handle. I have a stainless Police model, but it is too big and bulky, and I don't like the stainless (catches people's eyes when I'm talking to them - I'd rather they not notice the knife. Don't want them thinking they can grab it to use against me).
Last edited by eldiablojoe on Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bearfacedkiller

The delica and endura have backlocks and frn handles and come from japan.

The military and paramilitary2 are a liner and compression lock and have g10 handles and come from Golden, CO.

They are four different sized knives, they all have grippy handles to me and the military models have choils. They are all very popular.
bearfacedkiller

It takes some patience and diligence to get a para2 but it isn't too hard. That gets discussed here quite a bit.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I think you definitely want an auto or assisted opener. Something fast and light that can be opened with one hand in a struggle. Its not a Spyderco and I apologize but what you describe sounds exactly like the Kershaw Knockout that I recently purchased. It has Olive Drab aircraft aluminum handled assisted opener and if you really get down on the flipper I think is faster than any auto. Its thin light and has the best feel of anything. I have ever handled. The Black Blade has straight razor edge and needle tip.The steel is Swedish Sandvik 12C28N which is really good steel and the best part it can be had for under sixty bucks.
bearfacedkiller

The native, delica and endura come black on black combo edge with backlocks.
eldiablojoe

Post by eldiablojoe »

Thanks RanCoWeAla, but I really like Spyderco's stuff. Bearfaced, that Native looks pretty good....
Fancier

Post by Fancier »

eldiablojoe wrote:Bearfaced, I checked Cuttlery Shoppe for the Paramilitry 2. Looks great, but on backorder and not taking current orders. I am not willing to go full price somewhere else. Plus it looks like it has one of those closers where you have to reach into the handle to depress the latch to close. I really like the closing latch on the back spine of the handle. I have a stainless Police model, but it is too big and bulky, and I don't like the stainless (catches people's eyes when I'm talking to them - I'd rather they not notice the knife. Don't want them thinking they can grab it to use against me).
The Paramilitary 2 has the closing latch on the spine, but it does require a lateral squeezing motion to disengage the lock tab. At no time will you need to place your fingers under the blade to close a Paramilitary 2. It is a strong, safe, and convenient lock, but it will take a little adjustment on the part of the user to get used to it.
Paddy B

Post by Paddy B »

If you weren't dead set on a combo edge I'd suggest the manix 2 with DLC (black) blade. Hard use rated lock, and smooth, EASY one hand deployment.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Being in law enforcement most of my life, I would choose the Police 3.
Sal knows what he's doing imo.
But, then again, any of the ones mentioned
would be awesome. I just like the police 3.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I'm a huge Spyderco fan but just dont think Spyderco has anything that fits this application.An auto with blade like the Military would be nice
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

I'd say Police 3, or black on black Para 2. I have the all black Para 2, and it's awesome! It's not in combo edge, but I find combo edge less useful than plain edge. You get a small amount of plain edge, and a small amount of serrations. I'd pick one or the other. And I know you said you like back locks, but once you try the Compresson Lock, you'll love it, I promise. :)
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

For me it's gonna be the Black G10 Police. :)
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I'd go with the Spyderco Ulize but it only comes in satin plain edge. It has quite a slim profile for a folder with a 4.1" blade and weighs just 4.8 ounces. Here's a picture of it next to the Military.

Last edited by RamZar on Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
eldiablojoe

Post by eldiablojoe »

I really appreciate all of y'all's input and advice. I would like to know more about the lateral back lock on the para2, and what do you guys (MattM68 and LC Kid) like so much about the Police model?

I really do like the combo blade because it lets me use the plain edge for finer detail work like cutting fingerprint tape and evidence seals, but the serrations are very useful for cutting people out of cars (Seatbelt webbing) and heavier cutting needs like cardboard. Otherwise, I'd really be all over that Bayou Shooter - even though I've never used or tried the Emerson opener, it sure sounds like it work really well...

Argghhh, so many choices, lol!!!!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

If you're looking for something in between the 3" bladed Delica, and the 3.75" bladed Endura, you might want to consider the Stretch, which has a 3.5" blade and excellent ergonomics. There's no black blade version and the combo edge version has been dropped from the lineup, but some dealers, like New Graham Knives still have it in stock.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I've never heard of any LEO stabbing anyone. As far as I know knives aren't part of the training and they have many other options on their belt. Sorry, I think the OP's problem statement is 100% bogus.

Pretty much any utility oriented knife will do. The cops I know don't carry anything special, a Delica or Endura most often (or normal folders from cheaper brands).
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

zhyla wrote:I've never heard of any LEO stabbing anyone. As far as I know knives aren't part of the training and they have many other options on their belt. Sorry, I think the OP's problem statement is 100% bogus.

Pretty much any utility oriented knife will do. The cops I know don't carry anything special, a Delica or Endura most often (or normal folders from cheaper brands).
Your exactly right. All we were taught about knives, was 21 feet and their paid for.
I carried a Gerber Gator combo edge and never used it. But, this is fun. Picking out a new Spydie is always fun. And truly, it is best to have the best on the street.