Spyderco Phil Wilson Southfork impressions and review

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cliff Stamp

Re: Spyderco Phil Wilson Southfork impressions and review

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Surfingringo wrote:When I used to come in with a few big snapper and clean them with s30v I found that after a couple of fish the working edge was already in pretty poor shape. Obviously slicing the meat doesn't do that. It's the skin, scales and bones. What was instantly apparent was that the s90v would handle more than twice as much work and still have a very serviceable working edge. That very fine edge (that we have discussed before) is gone almost instantly on either steel once you start cutting that stuff. But the difference in how long the working edge lasts is very obvious. More than double...probably much more.
No worries, that is what I was looking for. I have tried to get some information from local fisherman but they have the habit of sharpening constantly and no matter what knife I give them to work with they just sharpen it on a butchers steel every few fish to keep 'r sharp. I don't do nearly enough fishing to get practical data as at most I fillet a small few which can be done with anything and we don't have any hard scaled fish.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Cliff Stamp wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:When I used to come in with a few big snapper and clean them with s30v I found that after a couple of fish the working edge was already in pretty poor shape. Obviously slicing the meat doesn't do that. It's the skin, scales and bones. What was instantly apparent was that the s90v would handle more than twice as much work and still have a very serviceable working edge. That very fine edge (that we have discussed before) is gone almost instantly on either steel once you start cutting that stuff. But the difference in how long the working edge lasts is very obvious. More than double...probably much more.
No worries, that is what I was looking for. I have tried to get some information from local fisherman but they have the habit of sharpening constantly and no matter what knife I give them to work with they just sharpen it on a butchers steel every few fish to keep 'r sharp. I don't do nearly enough fishing to get practical data as at most I fillet a small few which can be done with anything and we don't have any hard scaled fish.
Yep, I'm kind of one of those keep r sharp guys. And yeah, I'm probably not the best guy to give accurate info on how different steels compare. For example when I describe how the s30v working edge is in "pretty poor shape" after a couple of big snapper, I don't really have a way of quantifying what that even means. I just know it doesn't bite like it did two fish ago. :). All I am really offering is impressions and opinions based on my use. To keep from misrepresenting the "truth" in any way I always try to make it clear that that's all my statements are. Just opinions and impressions. Fortunately those have value too.
Stugots-II

Post by Stugots-II »

I just got mine in the mail yesterday, so excited for this one. I've been wanting one since they came out and finally got one!!
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Surfingringo wrote:I don't really have a way of quantifying what that even means. I just know it doesn't bite like it did two fish ago.
That is quantifying it, just the precision is not very high. However in general you only need precision high enough for the question at hand. If I ask you to hand me the 1/4" hemp and not the 1/2" hemp do you need to measure the cord or can you give me the 1/4" one just visually, or even if you closed your eyes could you just feel the difference?

The practical and frank question that is important to most if not all people is "Will I notice a difference in use?" . I do a lot of measurement/comparisons, but practically while of interest, when I am picking a knife to use the question I am interested in is "Will this have the performance I need in use?"

The hardest part often is not fooling yourself into seeing a difference which isn't there as that is extremely easy to do. This is why I spend so much time on passarounds and such but practically if you see the performance does it really matter if it is some kind of placebo or not, that is itself an interesting question.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Now here is something useful, for a change. I love to fish when I have time. One thing that is true is that fish will dull a knife pretty fast. The question for you guys is, what steel will stand up to cleaning the most fish?

To me this is more practical than cutting hemp, though that has its uses. So, what about it? Perhaps a week of fishing and cleaning with various types of steel is in order?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Cliff Stamp wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:I don't really have a way of quantifying what that even means. I just know it doesn't bite like it did two fish ago.
That is quantifying it, just the precision is not very high. However in general you only need precision high enough for the question at hand. If I ask you to hand me the 1/4" hemp and not the 1/2" hemp do you need to measure the cord or can you give me the 1/4" one just visually, or even if you closed your eyes could you just feel the difference?

The practical and frank question that is important to most if not all people is "Will I notice a difference in use?" . I do a lot of measurement/comparisons, but practically while of interest, when I am picking a knife to use the question I am interested in is "Will this have the performance I need in use?"

The hardest part often is not fooling yourself into seeing a difference which isn't there as that is extremely easy to do. This is why I spend so much time on passarounds and such but practically if you see the performance does it really matter if it is some kind of placebo or not, that is itself an interesting question.
Agreed Cliff. And on the note of practicality, while I feel pretty confident that this s90v does indeed outperform s30v, I can't ever remember having a problem when s30v was all I had. It's human nature to want the "best". Why would I want a knife that can cut 350 pieces of rope when I could have the one that cuts 700??! In my experience, many of the differences that we are looking at when we compare these higher end steels are hard to actually notice in real world use. Here's an example. If you gave me two unmarked blades and told me that one was s90v and the other was s30v I feel 100% certain I could tell which was which after 20 minutes of fish work. But if you secretly replaced my standard s90v blade with s30v I might not even notice within that same 20 minutes. I'm not trying to negate the value of all the testing, nor am I trying to say that the results aren't interesting and useful. I just think that sometimes we might get a bit obsessed with them. But whatever, that's half the fun. :)
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Surfingringo wrote:But if you secretly replaced my standard s90v blade with s30v I might not even notice within that same 20 minutes.
Indeed, and it isn't like you can't process fish with a very basic knife - but like you said we all have hobbies and playing with knives and steels and finding the ultimate combination of such has to be a fairly harmless one, if not so overly practical.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Surfingringo wrote:
Actually Phil took the time to send me an email yesterday and outlined how to do that! Is it just me or do we seem to get a pretty high level of service around here?? :D
Agreed, the service is amazing here, I mean where else can you contact the CEO and owner of a company directly? Not only that, they treat the fans from all over the World equally as well. But I have to commend the member's here as well, some great people here that make this such a great community.

Hope to hear more about your adventures with the Southfork :)

Jon
North61

Post by North61 »

I really like my Southfork, good slicer and a very good knife for gutless skinning as practiced up here in the Yukon. Made an impressions
video in 2013 that I'll share here.

https://youtu.be/DkINOl_ ... nV0ceWlkmw" target="_blank
Mike157

Post by Mike157 »

Hi Surfingringo - just wanted to say how much I enjoy reading your reviews and actual use threads. I also find them very informative. I've purchased a knife or two based on your sharing of experiences.

While it has been quite a while since I've done any fishing and my cleaning/fillet skills border on butchery of the worst kind, I recently had the opportunity to do some open ocean free dive spear gun fishing. First time for the open ocean diving and spear fishing for me. Given my lack of skills I didn't catch anything, but still had a great time. One of the other divers gave me nice yellow tail so I didn't go home empty handed. Long story short, I had just read this thread before cleaning and filleting (is that the proper spelling?) the fish, so I had to use my Spyderco Southfork instead of a fillet knife. As with everything else I've used it with, the Southfork worked perfectly. It was getting dark and my wife threw me outside so I wouldn't stink up the house so no pictures. Keep those great experiences coming. Mike
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Great review! I am eagerly anticipated you putting your new Tusk through its paces in a saltwater environment and reporting on it. I will never purchase the Tusk myself but I am sure that Spyderco will use LC 200 in other blades in the future....perhaps a Mule (hint, hint ;) )

P.S. Love my Southfork too.....it is used primarily in the kitchen.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

The more I use this knife, the more I like it. What I am starting to feel about the Southfork is that it's a jack of all trades and a master of none. Phil, if you're reading this don't be offended that I'm calling it a "master of none". It is an extremely capable knife in many areas. Let me give a few examples of what I'm talking about though.

I have been using my Southfork as a filet knife. Is it as capable as a true filet knife? No, or course not, but it does a very good job at this type of work that I wouldn't even attempt with your average 4.5" fixed blade. Is it the perfect kitchen knife? Certainly not, but it does work extremely well there. The same could be said of it as an outdoor/camp knife I reckon. It is a design that lends itself to doing many different jobs! And doing them well. As much as I love my folders, if I could only keep one of the sharp objects that I currently own it would be no contest. The southfork is the only one that comes close to being able to do everything.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Mike157 wrote:Hi Surfingringo - just wanted to say how much I enjoy reading your reviews and actual use threads. I also find them very informative. I've purchased a knife or two based on your sharing of experiences.

While it has been quite a while since I've done any fishing and my cleaning/fillet skills border on butchery of the worst kind, I recently had the opportunity to do some open ocean free dive spear gun fishing. First time for the open ocean diving and spear fishing for me. Given my lack of skills I didn't catch anything, but still had a great time. One of the other divers gave me nice yellow tail so I didn't go home empty handed. Long story short, I had just read this thread before cleaning and filleting (is that the proper spelling?) the fish, so I had to use my Spyderco Southfork instead of a fillet knife. As with everything else I've used it with, the Southfork worked perfectly. It was getting dark and my wife threw me outside so I wouldn't stink up the house so no pictures. Keep those great experiences coming. Mike
Right on Mike! Blue water diving. :) Kind of awesome and intimidating at the same time isn't it? Looking down into a mile of that blue inky darkness...Makes you feel kinda small doesn't it? ;)
Mike157

Post by Mike157 »

Surfingringo wrote:
Blue water diving. :) Kind of awesome and intimidating at the same time isn't it? Looking down into a mile of that blue inky darkness...Makes you feel kinda small doesn't it? ;)
[/quote]

No Kidding! And to make it more exciting, a few of the guys had a small hammer head trying to poach fish off of their stringers. Looking forward to going again sometime. Just need to increase lung capacity about 1000%. Mike
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

Excellent review. I am getting ready to pick one of these up and this was very helpful.
bpahk

Post by bpahk »

I remember reading this thread a year ago. Made me want a southfork. Then decided I didn't need it badly enough. Bumping this thread made me think maybe I do need it.
Anyway great review! Would love to see the same commentary on the sprig
SouthernCross

Post by SouthernCross »

bpahk wrote:......
Whilst I'm not surfingringo, if your interested, my initial thoughts on the sprig (as supplied by Spyderco) can be found here: //forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... =2&t=69716

If your still interested in what I have to show, you can see my table top comparison of the Southfork & Sprig here: https://youtu.be/A2xEMIFpaLs

When the cooler months arrive in the Sth hemisphere, I'll post videos of how the Southfork goes at processing goats (and possibly sheep).

Mick
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

bpahk wrote:I remember reading this thread a year ago. Made me want a southfork. Then decided I didn't need it badly enough. Bumping this thread made me think maybe I do need it.
I can't speak for the Spyderco version but I have one of Phil's custom sprigs and it is awesome!! Phil's heat treat on s90v is top notch. I have tested that knife against m4 heat treated by Phil and hardened to 64-65 and the s90v outperforms in rope cutting. It is worth noting that in speaking with Phil he mentioned that he got to play with the sprig prototype, did some rope cutting and edge stability tests and was extremely pleased with it. He said the maker had done a great job with the ht. Knowing how high his standards are, that's enough for me. ;)
bpahk

Post by bpahk »

Thanks guys.

SC, looking forward to seeing you breaking down some goats!
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I got mine yesterday and wow what a beautiful piece. The fit and finish is so perfect.

I will be using it in the kitchen tonight!!!